Anyone hunt with a 30/30 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunt with a 30/30

EL COLONEL
09-01-2011, 05:44
Opinions .??

BuckeyePPC
09-01-2011, 07:03
I will this October for mule deer. It's a scoped Marlin 336. The area a friend, using a bolt action 30-06, and I will be going to is mountainous with little cover. I'll be using the Hornady Leverevolution flex tip round or my own version of it. Consistently hit 300 yrd steel targets with my handload.

K1500
09-01-2011, 07:57
Why wouldn't the most popular deer round in America work? What and where are you hunting? For long open shots at large game, there are better choices perhaps, but the .30WCF gets it done most of the time.

grecco
09-01-2011, 08:13
I have a 30-30,
its my favorite for deer hunting in Pa.
As long as you keep the shots 100 yrds or less, and good shot placement,
it does its job effectively.
sometimes you just dont need a super magnum.

EL COLONEL
09-01-2011, 09:31
Cool , anybody else ?

CanyonMan
09-01-2011, 10:22
30-30 and 35 Remington. (The latter being my favorite of the two). I took a nice Oklahoma 9 point with a marlin 35 rem and an old beat up 4X weaver scope out of the canyons at about 200 yds. He dropped DRT. The 30-30 is a fine caliber as well, and every one who hunts or walks the woods ought to experience the fun of it. Fine deer gun !

Good hunting.

CanyonMan

EL COLONEL
09-01-2011, 17:00
Canyonman , Thanx

sugarcreek
09-01-2011, 17:11
My goodness you don't need anything else out to 100 yards... That being said, I will be year 5 or 6 with my Grendel AR.

Free Radical
09-01-2011, 17:19
Deer hunting has evolved over the years. An old school,open sights, model 94 in 30-30 is almost quaint these days. It has certainly been passed by better and more efficient rifles. But hunting with an open sights, lever action has an appeal of its own. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

jtull7
09-01-2011, 18:25
My guess would be that a full 60-70% of the deer hunters in the US hunt with a 30-30 with fixed sights.

I like what Free Radical posted. I would never hunt a deer with a scope or a fancy caliber.

And, you can flame me if you want, but any hunter who cannot get close enough to a deer with a classic 30-30 with iron sights is, in my opinion, a wussy, a failed woodsman, and an unethical hunter.

davidg30
09-01-2011, 18:43
Been using the same Winchester 30-30 since 1967. The only fancy on it is peep sights that I installed many years ago. Have taken many white tail with it. I keep saying I will buy something newer, but can't find anything I like as much. I guess I could use my AK, but my Winchester would probably haunt me.

grecco
09-01-2011, 19:04
Also another plus for the 30/30,
Ammo is everywhere, from backwoods hardware stores to the *mart stores,
150 or 170 grain, take your pick, both are very effective.

Harper
09-02-2011, 05:58
That's what I use. I always hunt in hilly woods and typically don't even have a reasonable line of sight farther than 100 yards.

CanyonMan
09-02-2011, 08:37
My guess would be that a full 60-70% of the deer hunters in the US hunt with a 30-30 with fixed sights.

I like what Free Radical posted. I would never hunt a deer with a scope or a fancy caliber.

And, you can flame me if you want, but any hunter who cannot get close enough to a deer with a classic 30-30 with iron sights is, in my opinion, a wussy, a failed woodsman, and an unethical hunter

I won't flame ya Hoss. :supergrin: But let's see ya be davy crockett out here. And this is the easier spot. (see pic below). I shot that okie buck (i mentioned in my post above) here on the ranch back home (in Okla.) at around 200 yds with a 35remmy lever and a lousy 4X scope on it that belonged to a man i guided on that hunt. He forgot his glasses, and begged me to take the shot for him and use his tag on the buck.

I don't usually do that stuff but this dear fellow had 'Lupus disease' and bearly made it out to the canyon rim. Now the poor guy has no glasses and still can't see through the scope, and hunted 13 years and not once killed a deer. I felt so sorry for him, I shot the deer with his 35 rem, 'at his begging request', and we put his tag on it and checked it in. No harm no fowl.

I do not like scopes on lever guns. But you will have one heck of a time on this ranch getting your buck with out one. Most shots range 150 to 300yds +.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/IMG_0070-1.jpg

This was the only gun he had, so I placed him on the best spot I had at a canyon bottle neck so he could be effective with that lever gun.

I will add, as far as ethics. I watched this weak frail guy crawl through stickers and over sharp rocks and hunch over and run along beside me to get from A to Z, and then roll, crawl, and hunker down time after time, the whole time weezing and out of breath, and half sick, and this after a mile walk or so from the truck, just to get him to this certain canyon rim. My hat is off to him, and that is hard work for a healthy guy, scope or no scope. He might have pulled it off if not for him being blind as a bat without his specs on.

There is nothing unethical about taking a deer beyond bow range. This does not make someone a lousy hunter or a jerk or a wuss.

I agree, most people I have guided over 25 years could not sneak up on a deaf mule. That is why they needed a guide for 'one reason'. But in the Oklahoma plains, and on our ranch here in W, Texas as well. You better have a gun and a scope (in most places, not all) and be prepaired to take your antelope or deer "in most spots" at 100 to 300 yds.

I bow hunt in the place where this pic (above) was taken, which 'does not by any means show all the ranch'. I have to get in the bottom of the canyon fingers with a recurve bow where the cottonwoods and plumb thickets are, and set up beside a cedar or brush and "wait." There are also more wooded areas on the ranch there (okla) and here. But this man I guided had such a pitiful story, and 13 years with an empty sack, I wanted him to get the biggest buck possible and thus that meant hunting on barren ground in a spot I knew was good for heavy beamed bucks. Thus the shots would have to be long, and his skill would have to be pretty good with his gun and scope set up, and he would have made it except for the poor eye sight due to the Lupas disease and no glasses. So I did it for him. He at least had fun and had meat, and at "no charge." He was just wore plumb out from a hard hunt. What an Ethical man and hunt !

Getting in close to game takes skill, and I love doing that. Recurve Bow or Gun. But there are times and places that ain't going to happen. If you want to test your skill, and wuss level. Come out here and have nothing more than a piece of barbed wire to hide behind and not get spotted and try and take your buck with anything with open sights. Buffalo grass shin high don't hide ya real well in the middle of nothing. That too, takes some skill, and a bit of luck. Been doin it most all my life with and without scopes.

I've read your post before. You seem like a rather stand up old boy. But to place a tag on "everyone" that does not or cannot for some reason meet your criteria in your statement above here, well to me that is being a butt, and unethical.

Not everyone hunts where you do. Bring your bow out here where there is nothing but grass between you and the antelope and you can see for miles and miles, and get up there and take a clean shot. Is this doable with a 30-30and iron sights ? Yep! But it ain't easy in this particular terrain, and especially for a person with a disibility.

I used to take hand gun shots at very looooong range 'on game'. I am more of a hog leg 44mag/45LC hunter and have been for around 50 years with nothing but open sights and never once a scope on the hand guns.

My eyes or not in condition to do that real well any longer. So I guess I am a wuss because I am not close enough to put a saddle on the buck, and have to sometimes resaort to the 7mag. I admit i do have to choose my spots more carefully these days to get at least a 50yd shot with the handgun. But sometimes 'out here," these spots are just not where the deer are at much, if at all. Therefore a 7mag and a scope on an India black buck or deer or elk (when hunting else where) are welcome companions.

I've been close enough to game to poke them with my barrel. That is the truth. Got tons of stories :supergrin: But you won't, and can't in our plains areas on the ranch. If ya want something there, ya better have a scope and still hope your not spotted hiding behind nothing..

Nothing unethical about a good clean kill, and honest hunt, and using what you have to make do, and knowing your doing your best in the terrain your in.

It's the guys that think they know it all, and shoot out of atv's and pick up trucks and throw beer cans on your land, and ain't got the balls to crawl on the ground, and get dirty and filled with stickers and thorns and look for rattlers along the way that are unethical.

The ones who do not give a rats behind what they do, or how they do it, or who's land they do it on, or where they hit their game, or if they never find their game, and just want to "kill not hunt," these bozo's are unethical. Anyone that loves to kill just to kill is a moron. The guy who does not care about the law or the bag limit, or the land, or the game. He is the unethicl man.

So come on out with your open sighted 30-30 and will drop you off in the middle of the plains, and pick you up that afternoon and see what ya got. Ha.

I been doing this since I was a kid 10 years old, and using levers, iron sights as well as scoped long guns at times, and big bore hog legs. Still love my 45-70, 35 remmy and 30-30's with iron sights. But a man is not unethical because he has a scope on his gun or 'has to take" a longer shot. There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way. ;)

Have a great day amigo !

CanyonMan

BuckeyePPC
09-02-2011, 10:47
I won't flame ya Hoss. :supergrin: But let's see ya be davy crockett out here. And this is the easier spot. (see pic below). I do not like scopes on lever guns. But you will have one heck of a time on this ranch getting your buck with out one. Most shots range 150 to 300yds +.......

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/IMG_0070-1.jpg

.......I been doing this since I was a kid 10 years old, and using levers, iron sights as well as scoped long guns at times, and big bore hog legs. Still love my 45-70, 35 remmy and 30-30's with iron sights. But a man is not unethical because he has a scope on his gun or 'has to take" a longer shot. There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way. ;)

Thanks Canyonman. Sorry to cut and paste your excellant post.

Here in SE AZ, our hills are the tops of mountains, solid rock and straight up and down. Almost impossible to climb. If one of the deers we wound ever start up these we would never be able to follow. Plus we don't have near as many of those green things you have. I only have 1 lever action with a scope and that's because with my eye sight I don't want to climb up for a wounded animal. I suppose I could take my 30.06 which I've done before but 150-200 yds with the Hornady flextip round is do-able with a 30-30, scope, and my near senior citizen eyes.

EL COLONEL
09-02-2011, 11:36
So I have a marlin 30/30 with a leupold vx 2 3 x9x40 sighted an inch high at 100 yards with Federal ( $12.00 a box ) 150 grain soft point ammo. My furthest shot at lease is 206 yds . Will that set up get me out to 206 yds if need be ? ....:whistling:

jtull7
09-02-2011, 12:48
CanyonMan, thanks for not flaming me. That was a thoughtful post.

You say: "There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way." Obviously, I was not calling anyone with physical disabilities a wuss.

I cannot hunt any more. Here's how I shoot:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/6-fireaway.jpg

That photo was taken on my best friend's ranch in the Texas Panhandle on the Canadian Breaks in Potter County.

I have never hunted other than in the Texas Panhandle, so I know your country quite well.

In what county is your ranch located?

CanyonMan
09-02-2011, 13:17
CanyonMan, thanks for not flaming me. That was a thoughtful post.You say: "There are extenuating circumstances at times with some folks, to take into consideration, before pinning that tag of "wuss" on "everyone" who does not hunt your way." Obviously, I was not calling anyone with physical disabilities a wuss.

I cannot hunt any more. Here's how I shoot:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/6-fireaway.jpg

That photo was taken on my best friend's ranch in the Texas Panhandle on the Canadian Breaks in Potter County.

I have never hunted other than in the Texas Panhandle, so I know your country quite well. In what county is your ranch located?

Amigo, I am glad you did not think it was a flame, because it was not. Ironic you send that pic. Because that is why I posted as I did. I have seen, and been there and done that, with folks with afflictions and situations that just cannot "sneak up on something," and got to make do with a scope or whatever. I got a good friend in a wheelchair. He has somehow, learned to get on his atv, and get to where is goin out on his folks ranch. park, sit, and wait, then BANG ! ha. He does manage to get his game home, and my stetson is off to him, those I have personally helped, and to YOU as well amigo.

The ranch in N.W. Oklahoma, is in Harper county. The ranch here in Texas is in Coke co. 60 miles N. of San Angelo.

When I get time, I'll post some more pics. Gotta help the wife get ready for a big family reuion in about one hour, so got to go.

Keep up the good huntin, and never give up. I don't believe your the kind of guy that even considers giving up. ;)

Bless ya !
Stay in touch !

CM

BuckeyePPC
09-02-2011, 13:43
.......The ranch in N.W. Oklahoma, is in Harper county. The ranch here in Texas is in Coke co. 60 miles N. of San Angelo.

Wow !! I use travel to Hooker, OK to go prarie dog shooting when I lived in Ft. Worth. It was quite a drive but I would stay for 3 days so it was worth it. Hooker area is as flat a place as I've ever seen. Amazing a few miles east has such a different terrain.

IndianaMatt
09-02-2011, 13:55
Opinions .??

Hunt what? I guess that's the first thing someone would need to know in answering your question.

EL COLONEL
09-02-2011, 14:55
Whitetail deer and Hogs ...

CanyonMan
09-02-2011, 18:50
Wow !! I use travel to Hooker, OK to go prarie dog shooting when I lived in Ft. Worth. It was quite a drive but I would stay for 3 days so it was worth it. Hooker area is as flat a place as I've ever seen. Amazing a few miles east has such a different terrain.

Taking a quick break here... Old Hooker ! yep, but the ranch is much closer to a place called 'Slapout.' We got deep canyons as in the pics above, and then it turns to rolling sand hills covered in 3 foot high purple sage (where the monster bucks are) as far as the eye can see, and then big timber in some of the wider canyon bottoms with 150 ft cotton woods and full of turkey roost, and then back to flatter ground with tons of antelope and mule deer, and cajillions of prarie dogs. Part of the ranch takes an hour and a half drive to get to the back side. We're 5 hours to a city OKC, and NO neighbors any where, and nothing but a beautiful hunting paradise for huge deer, antelope, quail, pheasant, doves, turkey, and all manner of small game and varmints.

The ranch here in W. Texas is covered as far as the eyes can see in nothing but cactus and mesquite and rattlers and Comanche bones and artifacts.

We have plenty of deer, but they are much smaller in body size, and do not pack the heavy beamed racks of the N.W. Oklahoma bucks, and we have India black buck and turkey and quail and plenty of huge cougars and bobcats. I am a very blessed cowboy. Texas is not permenent for us, (long story) we're here for a season and then hopefully back home to Okla.

But the place here has it's own kinds of beauty. No prairie dogs here on the Texas ranch. But we got plenty of everything else that scrathces, bites, stings, cuts, rips and tears ya. Got to check your boots in the morning for scorpions. Makes for fun when city folks come to visit. :rofl:

Well best jump off and get back to other things.

Best to ya on your P. dog hunting. ;)

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
09-02-2011, 18:59
Whitetail deer and Hogs ...

Hey amigo. Again, that 30-30 will be fine out to 100/150yds for deer and depending on the size of the hogs, I would encourage you to get in closer, and if they are like 300#'s use a very heavy bullet weight, cast bullets work best. We had over 400 hogs here on the place in Texas at one time All domestic, but have plenty of hog killing experience up to 400 + pounds.

I do like my lever guns without a scope. It is the cowboy in me, ha, and I do prefer the 35 remington over the 30-30. It makes a much better hog gun between the two IMO. BUT, you'll do fine with the 30-30 for deer at decent ranges and hogs of 'medium weight' at 'close range'. (always with proper bullet placement ) ;)

Winchesters are cool to own, but the marlin is the gun for rugged use IMO, and will out last the winchester in the long run in the durability area.

Have fun and stay safe !

CanyonMan

Zombie Steve
09-03-2011, 00:05
My uncle does well with grandpa's .30-30 Winchester. Some day, it will be mine, and I'll have to plug a deer with it before it becomes a wall hanger.

I understand the idea of sticking to irons, but I don't begrudge anyone for using a scope. Makes things easier. If somebody wanted to, they could bust your chops for using centerfire and not a black powder rifle. The next guy could do the same for not archery hunting. Then you get into the compound bow / training wheels argument from longbow hunters... and somewhere in West by God Virginia, there's a hilljack with a sharp stick put you all to shame.

:supergrin:

CanyonMan
09-03-2011, 08:26
My uncle does well with grandpa's .30-30 Winchester. Some day, it will be mine, and I'll have to plug a deer with it before it becomes a wall hanger.

I understand the idea of sticking to irons, but I don't begrudge anyone for using a scope. Makes things easier. If somebody wanted to, they could bust your chops for using centerfire and not a black powder rifle. The next guy could do the same for not archery hunting. Then you get into the compound bow / training wheels argument from longbow hunters... and somewhere in West by God Virginia, there's a hilljack with a sharp stick put you all to shame.

:supergrin:

You forgot sligshots and spears ! :tongueout:

Stay safe amigo !

I'm gone for the weekend. Just dropped buy.
Happy hunting.

CM

rich e
09-03-2011, 11:42
When I was growing up every kid had their OWN 30/30 deer rifle but me..I wasn't as fortunate and had to borrow whatever I could from a relative...

These were kids with limited hunting skills that usually went to the state game lands and sat by a tree all day...I've personally seen many large bucks (175-200 lbs) taken cleanly with the 30/30...From guys who maybe shoot once or twice a year,if that.....

I hunt with a 30-06 and own rifles in 45-70,444 and 270...But, I have a new,unfired Marlin 30/30 locked up and every time I see it,, it takes me back almost 30 years to those school bus rides and hunting stories....The day after "opening day"...

One of these years I'm sighting it in and taking it out...

Rich

sourdough44
09-03-2011, 12:50
I had heard a 30-30 doesn't work anymore, not enough power & range, plus the critters have gotten stronger.

Ha,Ha,Ha, just kidding..:rofl:

EL COLONEL
09-04-2011, 19:25
Thanx everyone and Thank you canyon man . I know hogs are tough I've shot some big ones with a 300 wsm and they can take a licking and then some . Shot placement is very important so I know . I just hope the 30-30 can come through !! :dunno:

bustedknee
09-08-2011, 08:54
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/TCContender4.jpg

I have a 30-30 barrel on my Contender (also 223, 22rf and 410). I took this kit everywhere I went when I traveled for a living.

The 30-30 has taken wild boar, black bear, raindeer, etc.

I loaded spire-pointed bullets designed for Contender velocities. I wish all my rifles shot as accurate as this 10-inch barrel.

ctaggart
09-12-2011, 00:13
The 30-30 Lever Action is and always will be the SUV of the rifle world. It's a jack of all master of none, and I love it. I've got mine equipped with a Skinner Peep and some custom leather.

ETA: The Butt Cuff is made by Andysleather.com

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm95/Ctaggart/3030.jpg

CanyonMan
09-12-2011, 19:20
The 30-30 Lever Action is and always will be the SUV of the rifle world. It's a jack of all master of none, and I love it. I've got mine equipped with a Skinner Peep and some custom leather.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm95/Ctaggart/3030.jpg

Nice set up amigo...

Your sig line (or what ever it is called) man I have been trying to get my son in law (trouble maker in the family) to get a grrip on this: no change so far:

Thanks for standing strong in the faith:.

The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
Proverbs 28:1

Bless ya bro...

CM

ki4dmh
09-12-2011, 21:58
I Love my Marlin 3030!!

RRTX11
09-13-2011, 15:27
30/30 is great round out to 100 yards. A 150 grain bullet is only traveling at about 2000 fps, give or take. Relatively slow for a big or medium game ammunition. Because of this, the bullet loses a lot of energy over 100 yards. This is why 30/30 is thought to be a great round out to 100 yards. You may be accurate out to 200 yards, but by that time, so much energy is lost the bullet does not expand properly on impact, and you have a good chance of putting a good hit on a deer or hog and not killing it. So, 100 yards or in, scoped or iron sights.....30/30 is as good a round as there is. Over 100 yards, NO.

EL COLONEL
09-13-2011, 19:32
Cool!

vafish
09-13-2011, 19:56
.30-30 will get the job done well past 100 yards.

150 gr bullet is still making about 1,000 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards which is plenty to kill a white tailed deer. Sighted in 3" high at 100 you will be dead on at 200.

At 300 yards you are down to 645 ft lbs and about 16" low. You can still kill deer but you better know your range and holdover.

My older son shot his first deer with a .30-30.

FPS
09-30-2011, 13:57
Yes

Jdog
09-30-2011, 14:04
me too

i've killed more mule deer w/my old winchester model-94 30-30 than all my newer fancy scoped guns combined. The big old flatnosed 30-30 slug slaps them hard. haven't had one run away yet.

This year my 14yr old drew old a Utah muley tag... and he'll be using it here in a couple weeks !

bubba803
09-30-2011, 14:51
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-160-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

EL COLONEL
10-04-2011, 11:33
Bubba thanks !

NDCent
10-04-2011, 14:15
In the brushy wooded areas I hunt a 30/30 works perfect.

Dominator
10-19-2011, 06:28
Been using one for about 20 years now...excellent rifle for hunting Michigan swamps in my opinion. As far as the sights...use both, I have a 3x9 mounted in a see-thru mount set up on my rifle right now.
:cool:

dbarry
10-27-2011, 20:09
Yes. My 30wcf. I'm hunting with my Tikka '06 this fall, but if I had to sell all of them, this one would be the last to go.

michael e
10-27-2011, 20:15
Havent taken my 30 30 out in years, my grandfather gave it to me. I still use the 243 he gave me and it see more time. If the shots at my grandfathers place where just a little shorted I would use the 30 30 more. And when walking threw the woods the 44mag gets the call. Now I want to take the 30 30 out next time I get out of town.

rhino673
10-27-2011, 20:23
LOVE my Winchester 30-30. I am getting ready to install a rear peep sight for next season though. My eyes ain't like they used to be. I keep it for my "woods" rifle ( under 100 yards) and the 30-06 for the more open areas.

EL COLONEL
10-27-2011, 20:43
Use your 30-30's people.....:wavey:

Berto
10-27-2011, 21:00
A 30-30 and good open sights will get the job done fine out to a couple hundred yards, provided good marksmanship.
The new Hornady load helps a bit there, too.

A tennis ball would have no chance at 100yards, I'd expect a deer or pig would be in trouble at 200.:supergrin:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5200/3083030003.jpg

SFCSMITH(RET)
10-29-2011, 18:59
Have not tried the leverevolution rounds yet.. bought a few boxes when they first came out, but don't plan to shoot them until I run out of the 150's I bought a few (25+) years back. Shoot one to check zero.. take 1 or 2 deer with the 30-30 each most years. Only 40 more of those Federals to work through...

Lazy R
11-04-2011, 08:27
Hunted with my Dad's Winchester 94 as a kid, never shot anything with it. Bought a Marlin not long ago 'cause I always wanted a levergun, and just love the thing. Shot a doe with it last year about 60 yards in the woods, and it worked just like they said it should

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/Guns/Stevedeer2010.jpg

Since then I put a receiver peep sight on it, much easier to hit things now. What a fun rifle.

But, isn't the best tool in mule deer country where I also hunt.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/Guns/Rattlesnakefromsouthwest.jpg

EL COLONEL
11-04-2011, 10:50
Gotta love the 30-30 !!

rhino673
11-04-2011, 14:41
BTW, the new 160 grain FTX bullet from Hornady is the most accurate (by far) round i've ever shot in my old Winchester.

barbedwiresmile
11-06-2011, 06:41
I'm sitting in my stand right now with an iron site 94AE. Most of my whitetail hunting is done with this rifle. In fact, I took a doe last weekend with this rifle. .30-.30 was, is, and will remain an outstanding round and a great, light weight rifle. Other than long shots out west on pronghorn, coyote, and such, I prefer it to a heavier, bolt action.