Progressive press accessories [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive press accessories

bigboreguns
09-01-2011, 08:00
I am currently using a Hornady L-N-L AP progressive press. I have a few times ran out of primers and loaded a few shells with out them. This really annoys me. I can usually feel it when this happens but I'd rather have a pre warning that I am getting low. I was thinking about getting a small dowel rod and an o ring. I would set up the o ring so it would not allow the dowel rod to fall into the primer assembly if I ran out but would give me a visual indication that primers are getting low. I am planning on adding a case feeder to this press which I am sure is going to greatly impact production. I was wandering if the Dillon low primer sensors will work on Presses?

unclebob
09-01-2011, 08:41
I am currently using a Hornady L-N-L AP progressive press. I have a few times ran out of primers and loaded a few shells with out them. This really annoys me. I can usually feel it when this happens but I'd rather have a pre warning that I am getting low. I was thinking about getting a small dowel rod and an o ring. I would set up the o ring so it would not allow the dowel rod to fall into the primer assembly if I ran out but would give me a visual indication that primers are getting low. I am planning on adding a case feeder to this press which I am sure is going to greatly impact production. I was wandering if the Dillon low primer sensors will work on Presses?

Yes it will work.
Other things you can do is take the wooden dowel and cut it to length. Glue a case on the end of the dowel. Or you can crimp a ferrule that they use in plumbing. Seen pictures of using tape, or you can paint. One line when you are about 10 from being empty and another line when you are empty.

fredj338
09-01-2011, 09:05
The RCBS or Dillon low primer buzzer works on the LNL. The only real way to solve the problem for any progressive.

Tpro
09-01-2011, 13:05
Yes it will work.
Other things you can do is take the wooden dowel and cut it to length. Glue a case on the end of the dowel. Or you can crimp a ferrule that they use in plumbing. Seen pictures of using tape, or you can paint. One line when you are about 10 from being empty and another line when you are empty.

^^^^^^^^^^This is what I did^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(not that me doing it makes it correct). I put a line around the rod that shows exactly 10 primers left and a line when I am down to 1 primer. I'm sure the buzzer thingy would be nice but I like things uncomplicated.

fredj338
09-01-2011, 13:27
^^^^^^^^^^This is what I did^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(not that me doing it makes it correct). I put a line around the rod that shows exactly 10 primers left and a line when I am down to 1 primer. I'm sure the buzzer thingy would be nice but I like things uncomplicated.

The Dillon or RCBS buzzer kit will be the best $35 you'll ever spend on a progressive. I hate running out of primers during a run.:crying:

GioaJack
09-01-2011, 15:05
Why do you care if the butler runs out of primers, it's his problem.

That reminds me, 'Jeeves, another scotch please.'

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-02-2011, 14:55
On my LnL if I put the Powder Measure in station 2 it would rub on the Dillon Primer alarm. No issues at all if you had the Powder Measure in station 3. You also need to cut the Dillon rod to get it to go off at the right time. Not sure how much. Trial and error works fine. YMMV, etc, etc.

Edmo01
09-03-2011, 04:45

Check your pile of Hornady stuff, you likely already have one. My L-N-L press came with a thin white piece of "dowel rod" which is designed to ride on top of the primers in the feed tube much like you suggest.

I took a red sharpie permanent pen and marked the empty location and ten primers remaining location on the rod. When the last primer has been pressed in, this white rod locks the primer feeder in the "pickup" position.

Edmo

noylj
09-04-2011, 14:32
I thought the L-N-L now came with a primer rod?
The only problem I ever had with my L-N-L was it could not feed the very last primer. I just got a Dillon plastic rod and look at it occasionally. No need for bells-and-whistles, just look at your press, look at the charge in the case, and put an RCBS Lock-Out die in st. 3.
The "frustrating" part is having to break your rhythm to fill more primer tubes.

deerassassin22
09-06-2011, 20:05
How do you like the LNL? Reason I ask been looking at reviews and they haven't been so good but whats yall's opinion?

noylj
09-06-2011, 22:21
I loved my L-N-L and my son has it now and he is cranking out some good ammo.
If you want a progressive with a case feeder, get the 650.
If you don't need a case feeder, get the L-N-L

unclebob
09-07-2011, 07:24
How do you like the LNL? Reason I ask been looking at reviews and they haven't been so good but whats yall's opinion?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357208

Sorry to say start here. This should answer your questions on how a lot of people feel about the LNL. Sit back and get some:popcorn:Or when you get done reading you might want something stronger.

Tpro
09-07-2011, 12:26
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357208

Sorry to say start here. This should answer your questions on how a lot of people feel about the LNL. Sit back and get some:popcorn:Or when you get done reading you might want something stronger.

My question is what about those of us who use the LnL AP without issues. I've never had a high primer, I don 't need to "jab" the handle to seat a primer. We must be in the minority. I'm going to order the case and bullet feeder before the end of the year and I'll be set.

I should add I don't load 9mm and I doubt I ever will. I don't shoot that round very well (and I have shot that round in many guns) so unless the wife or my son likes to shoot it, it won't happen.

Tpro
09-07-2011, 12:33

Be careful not to overload on internet info. Many things need to be considered. The main thing I tell people is that if you are already loading on a Dillon you prooly won't like the LnL AP. Not because the Dillon is so superior, but becasue the two presses are ergonomic opposites. Some people have difficulty adapting to changes in sequence or procedure. I know for me, the Dillon was bass akwards, and I never reloaded before. It is opposite of the other machines I run or have run, and it was uncomfortable to me, awkward and slow. That was FOR ME. Your case may be different. I worked in a shop with a lathe that was made in Korea. It's controls were opposite of everything else in the shop, and the poor machine got its butt kicked regularly because guys wouldn't/couldn't adapt to it. I liked the lathe so I used it most. I never ran the tool into the chuck either. But many did. Same thing with reloading equipment.

Go to ultimatereloader.com and watch the videos he has posted there. That should help.