Are Departments REQUIRED to Post Openings [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Departments REQUIRED to Post Openings

batson35
09-01-2011, 18:32
I was just wondering that if a dept has an opening are they required to post the position and test etc or can they promote internally.

For example giving a part-timer or aux unit the full-time spot or promoting someone else and bypass the "posting etc" process.

collim1
09-01-2011, 18:37
At my dept any promotion is internal only. All new hires will begin in patrol. Even if you work at dept A as a detective you will start at dept B as a patrolman. That is pretty standard as far as I know.

I have seen plenty of former supervisors come to our agency for the pay increase and start out all over again as a boot.

OUr dept is required to post openings but it list them as internal only.

Knute
09-01-2011, 20:30
There is no employment law I am aware of that requires an organization to post open positions externally. There may be some organizational policy that requires a position to be posted externally, but certainly nothing that would constitute any legal violation.

I was told numerous times that just a few decades ago, in the area I previously worked, you couldn't even get a position unless you were some sort of reserve or part-time officer with that agency. However, if you limit your applicant pool, you reduce the chances of hiring the right people for the job.

Hack
09-01-2011, 21:44
US Law makes it to where entry level is the one that is posted publicly for federal jobs. All others are internal, or for federal employees only.

MeefZah
09-02-2011, 12:23
It may vary by state.

In Ohio, civil service rules require a city to post positions and test for them. Townships, and villages are held to a different standard and may be able to hire without a posting; although a lot of those abide by civil service rules even though they may not be obligated to. Counties, I think, would also be required to post, though not necessarially test.

ateamer
09-02-2011, 13:27
If I was sheriff, I'd want to promote from within as much as possible. You are getting a known quantity, someone who is already part of the department culture, knows the local area, knows policy and is known within the department. Many of our corrections officers have been promoted to deputy, and the vast majority of the time, it is very successful.

Oh, and never open promotion to sergeant and above to outside, unless the department is really a huge mess, riddled with incompetence and the only solution is to bring in outsiders. Usually that does nothing good for the agency, because they're bringing in someone who is not part of the department, doesn't understand how things fly locally, doesn't know the area and hasn't earned the trust of his new subordinates.

One fire department around here used to only hire full-time firefighters from the ranks of their paid-call (formerly volunteer) firefighters. They aren't a really large department, so it used to take eight to 10 years to get hired for full time. That changed when they went to paramedic engines, because few of the paid-calls were certified PMs, and they were forced to hire outside to get the qualified applicants.

MeefZah
09-02-2011, 16:09
I just noticed you are in Ohio, too.

I have had a bit of experience with cities hiring reserve guys and passing up other qualified applicants to do so. Generally in those situations the internal applicant need only pass the civil service test to get hired. Truth be told I'm okay with that, the internal guys have paid their dues and deserve a shot.

If you know of an Ohio city that hired an internal applicant for an entry level position and did not post it / test / follow civil service process then they are in violation of civil service rules.

But again, villages (less than 5,000), townships, and counties have a different standard.

Patchman
09-02-2011, 16:11
All I know is that many years ago, when I first got involved in the hiring process, there was a LEO test at the next town over. I called their civil service office about a question (I forget what it was) and started talking with the woman who answered the phone. At one point she said that yes, the town allowed everyone to take the test, but there are two eligible lists. The first list is for the residents of that town who passed. The second list is for everyone else. The town will hire everyone off the first list (town residents) before hiring off the second list. And according to her, more than likely no one gets hired off the second list (that's me, an out-of-towner) before another test is given.

That was an eye opener.