10 yr anniversary of 9/11 - what say you? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10 yr anniversary of 9/11 - what say you?

jdavionic
09-01-2011, 19:53
It's been fairly quiet leading up to the anniversay with respect to threats. What say you? No issues? Low probability? High probability? Are you changing your routine at all?

Me, I think the probability is likely similar to previous years. However I expect the 10th anniversary is quite a temptation for those that want to harm us. But with all that said, I made plans for a fun weekend with the family. Not changing the plans at all.

G29Reload
09-01-2011, 21:10
Always a possibility with the symbolism of the date. It would be a real kick in the pants for them to pull off something, even small to moderate on the same date.

But the benefit of a Seal Team nailing UBL and grabbing a treasure trove of thumb drives, DVD's etc...just solved so many mysteries for the Intel teams at CIA, I think we're probably exploiting the hell out of them, and at least half a dozen major players have met death from above with a hard hittin drone strike as a result.

We could be down to individual, self motivated sleeper cells, I'm thinking the biggest threat could still be a devastating loner, or a pair, maybe a group of mosque-buddies donning trenchcoats and strolling to the middle of a food court to mow down a bunch of sheep with locally acquired AK's. We could still see a mess.

But I don't think the team, the organization or the financial assets are there to do another plane stunt or anything that big. I could be wrong though...

kirgi08
09-01-2011, 21:27
All we can do is stay vigilant.'08.

hoven88
09-01-2011, 21:35
I'm flying on the 11th so lets hope not.

wjv
09-01-2011, 22:01
One positive is that the 11th is on a Sunday. Cities will be empty,

So perhaps that will dissuade a large scale attack. . :dunno:

hoven88
09-01-2011, 22:12
Yea well i am flying up to the D.C. area. I'm sure it'll be fine

TangoFoxtrot
09-02-2011, 02:37
It is what it is. As a nation we can only take what ever precautions we can to protect ourselves. We can't live our lives in fear of another attack.

If Al-Queda decides to hit the U.S. again, I hope it doesn't take another 10 years to get those responsible.:upeyes:

jdavionic
09-02-2011, 03:47
One positive is that the 11th is on a Sunday. Cities will be empty,

So perhaps that will dissuade a large scale attack. . :dunno:

Agreed. Churches and the like might be a tempting target.

pugman
09-02-2011, 05:42
Ten years is probably the perfect amount of time considering most people I've talked to don't even remember what they were doing that day....on my growing list of what is wrong with this country #1 is Americans have forgotten their history.

Me? Just transfered to a new job at my former employer and moved from 3rd to 4th floor. My old manager was highly disfunctional and didn't have a cube set up for me yet so I used the office of a director who was out of town that week. I watched most of the immediate reports on a 13" color TV my boss kept in his office to watch some of the Packer games when he came to work on weekends.

Its hard to know. Terrorists operate on a psychological as much as a physical level. If I was their leader, I would be torn between hitting what I could whenever I could vs. attacking every few years just to always let you know we are still here and you aren't 100% safe anywhere all the time.

I'm going to go with its quiet. Thinking like a terrorist I would probably celebrate the day. Thinking like a cell leader I would pick a another day so instead of people always thinking about 9/11 now it would be 9/11 and xx/xx

jdavionic
09-02-2011, 06:21
Yep...speculation on the actions of people who are nuts is difficult. In one respect, I think there will be great motivation given the anniversary, given AQ's likely desire to show they are still relevant after Bin Laden, etc. However they also play the game of 1000 cuts very well and they are quite patient.

sebecman
09-02-2011, 08:25
It's been fairly quiet leading up to the anniversay with respect to threats.

How can you be sure? They don't tell the media about everything.

Just sayin.....

RED64CJ5
09-02-2011, 08:32
Ten years is more than enough time for someone to change their lifestyle to favor mental and physical preparedness. However, looking around in my daily life I cannot say that I have observed many individuals who have taken that path. Sadly, the world hasn't changed very much. We as a nation are as self-centered, materialistic, and ignorant of our purpose as ever. I will say this, on a positive note, MY life has changed dramatically for the good.

I lived 120 miles from Ground Zero and I will never choose to live permanently in a major metro area again so long as I can avoid it.

Bilbo Bagins
09-02-2011, 08:49
Bin Laden was really focused on an attack on the 10th anniversary. I think his death and the raid of all the planning info really put a damper on all that.

Thank God, 5/1/11 happened and that SOB got a bullet. Imagine if Bin Laden was still alive today, there is a strong possibility they would have tried something big again.

I think there is still a heighten possibility of smaller attacks between Labor Day and New Years. We already got al Qaeda new #2 man a few days ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/al-qaedas-no-2-leader-is-killed-in-pakistan-us-officials-say/2011/08/27/gIQAUM69iJ_story.html

Now that Bin Laden is dead, I think once we get Ayman al-Zawahiri, we can pretty much put a fork in al Qaeda and call them done.

sebecman
09-02-2011, 11:21
I will never choose to live permanently in a major metro area again so long as I can avoid it.

Amen to that.

jdavionic
09-02-2011, 16:41
Nothing specific in this warning. Seeming "routine"
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/02/september.11.threats.napolitano/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

quinnt
09-02-2011, 18:27
I don't expect anything. I will be carrying to the ceremony I am attending however.

Pru
09-02-2011, 22:20
We're going to be travelling around that time and made a deliberate decision NOT to fly on that day. We will probably avoid large gatherings of people, but we do that anyway.

BORNGEARHEAD
09-02-2011, 23:58
Are you ready for some football?!?!?!

jdavionic
09-03-2011, 06:13

I am.:supergrin:

Akita
09-03-2011, 14:05
What bigger audience than the start of the NFL (sunday) season?
Well, OK, Nascar, but that dont count.

And my dear wife has decided to fly that day as well. I told her to get trip life insurance but that didnt go over too well. :dunno:

jdavionic
09-05-2011, 13:14
Now less than 1 wk away and no new news or alerts.

bdcochran
09-05-2011, 16:45
Two kinds of problems in the world. Type 1 - those you can do something about. Type 2 - those you cannot do anything about.

10th anniversary concerns fall into Type 2.

You focus on Type 1.

TangoFoxtrot
09-06-2011, 02:40
Now less than 1 wk away and no new news or alerts.

There was a small mention on national news about the possibility of small aircraft being used rather than airliners for attacks.

jdavionic
09-07-2011, 19:35
One alert issued today
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/pentagon-raises-security-levels-before-911-anniversary/2011/09/07/gIQARcrZ9J_blog.html

Lt Scott 14
09-08-2011, 00:03
Be yourself, vigilant, have faith in our military men and women. Carry your Glock proudly, your BOB, and don't let terror disrupt your life plans.
I plan on a BBQ, couple of 16ozs of Keystone Light, and watch a football game, or two.
My prayers will be early in the am for all: NYPD, FDNY.
USA.

jdavionic
09-08-2011, 04:05
Be yourself, vigilant, have faith in our military men and women. Carry your Glock proudly, your BOB, and don't let terror disrupt your life plans.
I plan on a BBQ, couple of 16ozs of Keystone Light, and watch a football game, or two.
My prayers will be early in the am for all: NYPD, FDNY.
USA.

I absolutely refuse to let terrorist change my plans to do the things that I want to do. Yes, I will be prepared in case something does happen. Obviously if I happen to be where they decide to strike, I might be a victim. However if you cowar in fear and lock yourself inside, they have won. College football (actually going to the game), taveling, etc are in my plans.

jdavionic
09-08-2011, 16:43
Interesting development. Looks like the feds caught wind of some type of credible threat
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/08/authorities-find-possible-credible-threat-to-us-homeland-around-11-anniversary/

kirgi08
09-08-2011, 23:14
It's the ones they haven't sniffed out that worry me.'08.

Jake514
09-09-2011, 06:34
The definition of terror/terrorism is to "fill with terror" or the systematic use of terror as a means of coercion. I refuse to be 'terrorized" by fear or other methods they use. Yes, do carry and protect yourself and others, but do not cower in fear or alter your plans because of them or what might happen.