Can you still carry revolvers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can you still carry revolvers?

HotRoderX
09-01-2011, 21:30
I am wondering do any police agency still allow or issue revolvers for carry? I dont mean just J-Frames as a bug. I am thinking something more like a 686 and the like.

Hack
09-01-2011, 21:48
I am wondering do any police agency still allow or issue revolvers for carry? I dont mean just J-Frames as a bug. I am thinking something more like a 686 and the like.

I am with a fed agency. No personal firearms currently.

FM12
09-01-2011, 21:56
I sometimes wear a S&W 629 4" bbl in 44 mag or a Dan Wesson in 357. Just depends on my mood. Usually a Sig 226 in 40 S&W for the firepower and ease of reloading.

SAR
09-01-2011, 22:11
I was issued a revolver and yes, if I want to carry it, I can. I usually carry a Glock though. Only people hired before 1989 or so get to carry revolvers still.

DaBigBR
09-01-2011, 23:18
If I wanted to, and qualified on it, yes. I qualified on my 686 a couple times, but never actually carried it.

Glocker1984
09-02-2011, 00:44
Nope. Must be a semi-automatic firearm chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. Glock, SIG, Ruger, 1911, XD, etc. etc. doesn't matter the make. :wavey:

Rabbi
09-02-2011, 00:50
If I qualify with it, I can carry one as a BUG.

ashtxsniper
09-02-2011, 01:13
I have qualified with a 686 and can carry it if I choose. I have carried a Glock 22 my whole career but I have on occasion carried a Ruger SP101 as a BU. I will be getting a 340PD soon as a third BU gun.

efman
09-02-2011, 02:56
I have never seen another deputy carrying a revolver as there primary duty weapon, the day I see it I plan on shaking that man's hand. I love seeing some old school gear still being used every once in a while, I would give anything to be able to carry a pr-24.

COLOSHOOTR
09-02-2011, 03:19
We still have some old school types on the street with wheel guns.... The ruls is if you were originally trained on it and carried it prior to the Dept. switching to semi-autos you can still carry it. Anyone that was hired after the switch is not allowed to carry a revolver as a primary duty weapon.

So honestly only the few real cops (you know the guys from back in the day that were actually allowed to do what needed to be done, without this PC garbage, and could arrest bad guys without being fired for the suspect getting a lil boo boo from a 3D cell flashlight to the head) that are left around here can carry one.

Ajon412
09-02-2011, 03:33
Yes, personally owned for off duty and BUG use. Mainly .38 Special, but we have a few in .357, .44 special and .45 LC..:supergrin:...We may start seeing some of the newer revolvers chambered in 9mm and .45 ACP....Semi auto duty weapon is issued and must be carried. We have quite a few, including myself, that were weaned on revolvers and still love'em.....They definitely fill a niche.....:wavey:

Bruce M
09-02-2011, 05:52
We still have some people who carry a revolver, usually an issued M64 or Security Six.

collim1
09-02-2011, 09:30
If I wanted to, and qualified on it, yes. I qualified on my 686 a couple times, but never actually carried it.

I'd have to carry it for atleast a week or two.

No personal firearms as a primary in uniform. We are required to carry our issued P226's in .40

Its a shame, I would really love to carry my P220 in .45, I do not shoot .40 guns very well.

Detectives and Admin can carry an "approved" gun in .380 or larger. Most carry either the issued Sig or a G23.

CAcop
09-02-2011, 09:37
Our duty firearm policy is pretty open but nowhere in it is the word "revolver."

That word only shows up in the "secondary firearms" policy and in the off duty policy. Both must be concealed so unless you are going to draw a .357 from under a jacket in the warm CA sun it ain't going to happen here.

San Jose PD still have a few people carrying revolvers. They are either the oldest crustiest people to walk the earth or they are admin pogues who throw on an ill fitting uniform for the day.

nitesite10mm
09-02-2011, 10:26
Either I have or am in the process of renewing annual certification for a 2" 442, 4" 686, and (wait for it).... a 4" N-Frame 28-2 Highway Patrolman that was manufactured in 1975. None of them will see duty carry on patrol, but maybe once or thrice this year each will hopefully see court duty. :)

The Model 28 is a beast but is oh, so smooth to shoot with Remington R357M1s. I can shoot it rapid fire faster than a Glock 22 and keep them tight.

I hope that some, a few of you at least, will know what I'm talking about. Used to be it was sorta hanging on to old school. Now it's like an honor and a priveledge to carry a wheelgun as a rememberance to those earlier days in law enforcement.

The Highway Patrolman

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/Model28-2_Hogue.jpg

The holster (back when it was new)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/Model28carry.jpg

But to answer your original question our policy states that we will carry on duty one of the following: .38-Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W or .45Auto and it be department approved.

Ajon412
09-02-2011, 10:41
Either I have or am in the process of renewing annual certification for a 2" 442, 4" 686, and (wait for it).... a 4" N-Frame 28-2 Highway Patrolman that was manufactured in 1975. None of them will see duty carry on patrol, but maybe once or thrice this year each will hopefully see court duty. :)

The Model 28 is a beast but is oh, so smooth to shoot with Remington R357M1s. I can shoot it rapid fire faster than a Glock 22 and keep them tight.

I hope that some, a few of you at least, will know what I'm talking about. Used to be it was sorta hanging on to old school. Now it's like an honor and a priveledge to carry a wheelgun as a rememberance to those earlier days in law enforcement.

The Highway Patrolman

The holster (back when it was new)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/Model28carry.jpg

But to answer your original question our policy states that we will carry on duty one of the following: .38-Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W or .45Auto and it be department approved.

...:wow:.....She's a BEAUT!!!!!!!!!!!

DaBigBR
09-02-2011, 11:35
I'd have to carry it for atleast a week or two.

I qualified on it for two or three years in a row, but just never got around to buying duty leather for it. It's an older model with the square butt and big wood grips...beautiful gun. I've had a hankering for a 386 Nightguard for about eighteen months now, but it's just been too far down the list.

Maybe I'll carry it my last month or last few weeks with the agency, when that time comes.

trdvet
09-02-2011, 13:52
Revolvers are allowed if you can qualify with it and the range master approves.

mrsurfboard
09-02-2011, 14:21
Off duty or back up only with my PD.

Snowman92D
09-02-2011, 15:05

The Highway Patrolman

(Sigh...) A wheel man is a real man. :thumbsup:

CJStudent
09-02-2011, 17:53
My former agency, KY DOC, issued Ruger Service Sixes and GP100s (mostly GP100s); both carried with .38 +P loads.

Aux Bear
09-02-2011, 18:07
In my agency only the Court House, Seniors (Deputies with senority before the conversion to G22s) can still carry revolvers. that is IF they can qualify with them. We can carry anything as a Bug, or off duty gun, as long as we qualify with it annually. I vary between a 1911 (.45), SP101 (.357) and my G27. Depends on uniform, time of year, and duty. :cool:

fla2760
09-02-2011, 18:41
I think NYPD still allows some of the guys to carry their Model 10's but I am not certain on this.

Ajon412
09-02-2011, 18:47
I think NYPD still allows some of the guys to carry their Model 10's but I am not certain on this.

Yes, if you were authorized prior to the switch over to semi auto's in the late 80's / early 90's (I'm not sure which academy class it was). I believe there are still a few "hold outs" among the ranks...:rofl:

dbarry
09-02-2011, 18:50
(Sigh...) A wheel man is a real man. :thumbsup:

that gun is B-E-A-utiful. I want one.

dbarry
09-02-2011, 18:53

I'm not LE, but if u can shoot straight w/ it - why not. Really nice gun.

collim1
09-02-2011, 22:12
I'm not LE, but if u can shoot straight w/ it - why not. Really nice gun.

I am one that really thinks you you should be able to carry whatever you want(within reason of course).

I am issued a gun and required to carry it. I am lucky enough to be issued a decent gun, but it is not what I would prefer to carry.

You put in the hours and sweat to train up with a revolver, you should be able to carry one. IMO there is nothing inadequate about a revolver and guy who knows how to use it.

CAcop
09-02-2011, 22:42

1993 is the year the switch happened from what I have read. Now someone in the NYPD will have to cough up the exact class cutoff.

Milltown
09-02-2011, 22:47
My SD does, I think we only have one old geezer who is pushing 80 that carries a .357/.38 revolver. He doesn't work accept parades, fairs, and the occasional transport.

SAR
09-02-2011, 22:51
In my agency only the Court House, Seniors (Deputies with senority before the conversion to G22s) can still carry revolvers. that is IF they can qualify with them.

To this day, I qualify better with a revolver than a semi-auto. Semi-wadcutter .38s hardly recoil at all, and are very accurate. When our Department formally switched to semi-autos for issue, the number of Distinguished Expert (DX) shooters plummeted overnight. We still have guys who break out their 6 inch .38's for Bonus Qualification, but carry a semi-auto on the street. Bonus Qualification is the extra pay we get for maintaining firearms proficiency.

fla2760
09-02-2011, 23:41
1993 is the year the switch happened from what I have read. Now someone in the NYPD will have to cough up the exact class cutoff.

It was after my time I retired from NYPD in July of 1988. I still have my model 10.

Ajon412
09-03-2011, 09:44
It was after my time I retired from NYPD in July of 1988. I still have my model 10.

I bailed in Nov 01.....Went through the semi auto transition training in 1994..You didn't miss too much after 88...:rofl:...I still have mine, as well. I kick myself now for getting rid of several M-10's, 36's and Ruger Speed Six's..:frown:

nyapo
09-03-2011, 18:43
NY State Corrections still carry revolvers.

Cochese
09-03-2011, 19:06
There are a few who can, but they are grandfathered in. Otherwise, it's a mix of G22 (issued), M&P's, 1911's, a few Sigs, and some oddballs, like Ruger P89's and an HK or two.

TxShooter
09-04-2011, 08:16
Personal purchase (including ammo) here. Minimum for duty is a 6 shot .38 with 2 1/2" to 6" barrel, no limit beyond that. Offduty/BUGs are .32 or larger.

blueiron
09-04-2011, 16:58
I don't know of any agency in my county that still allows revolvers as primary sidearms.

MeefZah
09-04-2011, 17:23
I understand the love for the revolvers, and I respect the law enforcement heritage that would motivate a guy to carry one.

But seriously, can anyone here tell me that there is a tactical advantage to carrying a revolver in this day and age? Maybe in the days of the Smith 39 you could argue a revolver was more reliable; but in this day of Glock, HK, Sig, M&P, XD, is there really an auto that isn't as reliable as a wheelgun? I mean, in thousands of rounds through my Glocks, I have never had a stoppage of any kind.

A guy who takes the time to become highly proficient in revolver use would likely take the same time to become even more proficient with a semi-auto. Then factor in ammo capacity, speed and ease of reloading; and I can't see how anyone would be better protected on duty with a revolver than an auto.

The agency I just left allowed revolvers, and one guy, a retiree from Columbus PD, carried one. This was a gun he had carried for a big chunk of his 30 year career; and at a recent qualification I was shooting next to him on the range. His shooting was acceptable as far as accuracy, but his speed of reloading was dismal; and his multiple target engagement drills were awful. Most of that was due to the capacity of the revolver.

I'll carry a J frame as a backup - because reloads aren't as big an issue - but I'll take a semi of some ilk as a duty gun, thank you very much.

collim1
09-04-2011, 19:36
I understand the love for the revolvers, and I respect the law enforcement heritage that would motivate a guy to carry one.

But seriously, can anyone here tell me that there is a tactical advantage to carrying a revolver in this day and age? Maybe in the days of the Smith 39 you could argue a revolver was more reliable; but in this day of Glock, HK, Sig, M&P, XD, is there really an auto that isn't as reliable as a wheelgun? I mean, in thousands of rounds through my Glocks, I have never had a stoppage of any kind.

A guy who takes the time to become highly proficient in revolver use would likely take the same time to become even more proficient with a semi-auto. Then factor in ammo capacity, speed and ease of reloading; and I can't see how anyone would be better protected on duty with a revolver than an auto.

The agency I just left allowed revolvers, and one guy, a retiree from Columbus PD, carried one. This was a gun he had carried for a big chunk of his 30 year career; and at a recent qualification I was shooting next to him on the range. His shooting was acceptable as far as accuracy, but his speed of reloading was dismal; and his multiple target engagement drills were awful. Most of that was due to the capacity of the revolver.

I'll carry a J frame as a backup - because reloads aren't as big an issue - but I'll take a semi of some ilk as a duty gun, thank you very much.

IMO people nowadays put too much faith into capacity at the sacrifice of the fundamentals. I personally would carry a revolver on duty and not have any worries. I am not allowed by directives, but still enjoy training with one as if I could carry it.

A 7 shot 686 would be a great duty revolver IMO.

fla2760
09-05-2011, 15:55
IMO people nowadays put too much faith into capacity at the sacrifice of the fundamentals. I personally would carry a revolver on duty and not have any worries. I am not allowed by directives, but still enjoy training with one as if I could carry it.

A 7 shot 686 would be a great duty revolver IMO.

I have been looking for a pre lock one for a while now.

collim1
09-05-2011, 17:32

People's reaction are funny sometimes. People act like it would be pure suicide for me to work my normal beat carrying a .357 revolver.

collim1
09-05-2011, 17:53

The guys on glocktalk crack me up sometime when the subject of revolvers comes up. People act like it would be pure suicide for me to work my normal beat carrying a .357 revolver.

I wouldn't think twice about it.

CJStudent
09-06-2011, 05:28
The guys on glocktalk crack me up sometime when the subject of revolvers comes up. People act like it would be pure suicide for me to work my normal beat carrying a .357 revolver.

I wouldn't think twice about it.

I carried one with my last agency, and I wouldn't feel undergunned carrying a good one, with good ammo. As a matter of fact, I went checking out a pair of wheelguns yesterday; just debating between the 386 and 646 now....