Mossberg 930 vs 930 SPX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 vs 930 SPX

Cheytac
09-02-2011, 08:12
Can anyone explain the difference between the 930 and the 930 SPX?

ScrappyDoo
09-02-2011, 08:51
The Mossberg 930 is Mossberg's standard, 2 3/4" (and 3") autoloading shotgun. It comes in many varieties for various hunting applications and gaming etc. If you load up the Mossberg.com website you can click on the 930 Autoloader (Autoloading meaning semi-automatic in case you don't know, no disrespect just want to be thorough, it's Not a pump in other words) and see how it comes in various colors, barrel lengths, and some combos.

The 930 SPX (Special Purpose Xtreme) is their dedicated, autoloading, tactical/combat shotgun designed for the home defense purchaser. It has an 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore (I.e. wide open, no choke at all), it comes with a Factory-installed Choate Machine and Tool +3 magazine extension (so from the Factory 4+1 capacity of the 930, it becomes 7+1 and the tube is flush with the end of the barrel, very nice looking)... and also comes factory drilled and tapped, a rail installed, and LPA-brand Ghost Ring Sights (Rear ghost ring aperature and front fiber optic tube in a winged "M16" style front post).

My 930 SPX is the best decision I've ever made other than my Australian Cattle Dog. After putting a LimbSaver recoil pad and an Aimpoint Micro on it, I literally would be comfortable in fact favorable in carrying this into combat if I went to war. It's AWESOME. At the range I ALWAYS get complimented and like "Wow that shotgun is so fast and controlable and accurate what IS THAT??"

ScrappyDoo
09-02-2011, 08:54
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3831/img0781ov.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/img0781ov.jpg/)

My M930SPX is on top of this picture, with the Aimpoint Micro and notice the custom +1 Choate magazine extension (rather than +3) so it's NJ Legal.

Cheytac
09-02-2011, 09:34
Thank you for your response. Looking at the SPX model #85325 Field Security Combo and the Autoloader model #85128 Waterfowl, is there a difference in the actions?

I am looking at building this into a 3-gun shotgun and want a 22" barrel. But I also like the various chokes. I could cut down the 28" barrel and get it re-threaded and then have what I want.

However, I don't want to give up a better action, if the SPX has one???

ScrappyDoo
09-02-2011, 10:16
Yeah I don't think you're understandin me, the Field Security Combo waterfowl whatever are NOT the SPX- the 930 is the overall category, the SPX is a particular model. It comes with an 18.5" barrel, 7+1 capacity, and ghost ring sights. If that isn't what you want you are not getting an SPX... understand what Im sayin?

Cheytac
09-02-2011, 10:25
Maybe your not understanding me, but I do appreciate you trying. The Mossberg site list the Model #85325 Field Security as a SPX model. They also have other SPX models, not just one.

So, are all of the SPXs running the standard 930 actions?

Bulletsrrfriend
09-02-2011, 11:52
The difference between the SPX models is on has a standard buttstock and the other has a pistol grip Choate buttstock. Same receiver.

Ride5C2
09-02-2011, 11:58
My recommendation, get the combo or the turkey / waterfowl for 3gun. They all have the same action, just barrel lengths and sights are different.

I'm an SPX owner and use mine for 3gun and love it, but on some bigger courses you may want the longer barrel for the additional velocity / pattern. Benny Hill is building a 3gun specific 930 (with Mossberg) for competitors and, I believe, also does barrel work if you go this route.

Cheytac
09-02-2011, 12:01
The difference between the SPX models is on has a standard buttstock and the other has a pistol grip Choate buttstock. Same receiver.

I am not asking about the differences between different SPX models. I am asking is there is any difference in the 930 Autoloader and the 930 SPX. There are numerous different SPX models as there are numerous different 930 Autoloader models.

Is there any difference between the Autoloader and SPX Receiver/Bolt/etc?

ScrappyDoo
09-03-2011, 07:41
tHERE IS NO WAY U for me to comoe out and say this without sounding rude and so I'm just gonna come out and say it.

The Mossberg 930 is an Action. Everything else thereafter associated with the Mossberg 930 uses the same gas operated autoloading action.

The website has a 930 Autoloader secition and A 930 "Special Purpose" Section.

there looks to be 3 out of many actual 930 Shotguns listed as SPX. They are 3 vaARIANTS of the same. The same two from the beginning are the same as I've thrice decribed: Autloading 2. 3/4 " and 3" gun, 18.5" barrel, LPA branded Ghost Ring Sights with rear aperarure and fron M16-Winged fiber optic. Cylinder bore barrel. ONE has A FACTORY INSTALLED, CHOATE MACHINE AND TOOL PISTOL-GRIP-STOP, ONE DOES NOT. Those are basically the ONLY TWO M930SPX shotguns, regardless of what you think you have heard.

UNLESS YOU ARE NOW REFERRIN TO the newer Blackwater series 930 SPX - Which is a cosmetic redesign of the original 930 SPX. it uses a full-pistolgrip-stocked system ratherh than the Choate supplied pistol grip stock (Most ppl seemeed to say the Choate setup was ugly anyway)... Blackwater receiver engraving on te shotgun (No thanks anyway ) and a different factory raIL which now includes "XS Ghost Ring Sight and AR-style white stripe sight "

So those are the M930 SPX offerings. Other than the 3, anything else is NOT a Mossberg 930 SPX.

All the others are Mossberg 930's but NOT SPX models. They have various barrel lengths, various stock configurarions, colors, sighting/aiming ideas, magazine capacitys, etc.

The field securty is nice combo, the wATERfowling piece is nice, the tactical turkey looks like I might buy for fun one day. They are NONE 930 SPX's.

The M930 SPX use the same 930 Autoloading action. They then receive a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel, with LPA -brand from Italy sights, Choate Machine and Tool Magazine Extension [inclduing mag tube, orange nylon follower, spring, and i even got a crumby barrel clamp.

The 930 tACTICAL, head shield, standoff-attachment guns, field security combos, home defense combos, tactyical turkey combos, all those are great greaT mOSSBERG 930 gUINS. they are not of of wht used to be 2 but is now 3? Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical Models... which used to be simply defined by same guns different stocks, now the Blackwater one is a little schmancier.

CAcop
09-04-2011, 11:42
If it is a 930 it is the same.

It's kind of like going to the Honda dealer and asking for a Civic. 2DR, 4DR, hatchback, sedan, EX, LX, DX, and all the different combos of each. More or less same engine and frame just different things added on.

930 SPX has the GRS, rail, extended mag, etc.

930 Waterfowl Composite has a longer barrel and bead sight.

930 Combo has long and short barrels.

Ya get me?

itstime
09-04-2011, 11:48
They are the same actions. Different config. in the guns is all.

Z71bill
09-17-2011, 16:39
I am not asking about the differences between different SPX models. I am asking is there is any difference in the 930 Autoloader and the 930 SPX. There are numerous different SPX models as there are numerous different 930 Autoloader models.

Is there any difference between the Autoloader and SPX Receiver/Bolt/etc?

:deadhorse:

I think I understand - :dunno:

The Mossberg web site has a category for

SPECIAL PURPOSE guns

http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32&display=specs

All of the guns on this page are considered "special purpose"

But only ONE is listed as an SPX

I don't see where any other gun other than model # 85370 is technically an SPX -

So for example - model 85360 is the same exact gun as the model 85370 except the 85370 has the pistol grip stock.

but only the 85370 is listed as model SPX -

The 85360 is called; 930 SPECIAL PURPOSE - 930™ TACTICAL

The 85370 is called; 930 SPECIAL PURPOSE - 930 SPX PISTOL GRIP

Unless there is some other reference from Mossberg - it looks like only 1 is "technically" an SPX - even the Blackwater series - which is also almost the same as the SPX is not listed as an SPX -

It looks like some are using the SPX as a general reference for the Special purpose models.

How important is the X?

I actually like the sights on the Blackwater gun - but don't really care for the "Blackwater" logo - :puking:

Cheytac
09-19-2011, 08:33
tHERE IS NO WAY U for me to comoe out and say this without sounding rude and so I'm just gonna come out and say it.

The Mossberg 930 is an Action. Everything else thereafter associated with the Mossberg 930 uses the same gas operated autoloading action.

If it is a 930 it is the same.

They are the same actions. Different config. in the guns is all.

No offense taken... These are the answers that I was looking for. Thank you... :wavey:

I bought the Model #85128 which has a 28" Barrel. I'll have that cut to 22", re-threaded, and then add a +4 Nordic Magazine Extension. Then I'll have my new 3-Gun Shotgun... :supergrin:

cdog533
09-25-2011, 21:25
Isn't there a rule against pistol grip AND high cap semi auto shotguns (hence why Benelli M4's have limited capacity)? or is that just for imports?

The Blackwater version looks cool.

CAcop
09-25-2011, 22:38
Isn't there a rule against pistol grip AND high cap semi auto shotguns (hence why Benelli M4's have limited capacity)? or is that just for imports?

The Blackwater version looks cool.

Just imports unless local laws apply. There are even ways around the Benellis too from what I have read.

Tazdevils610
09-28-2011, 15:09
Cheytac you can buy a barrel from Mossberg that is 24in non ported and comes with 3 Chokes and Fiber optic rifle sights. For $170.00.
Richard

Cheytac
09-30-2011, 12:33
Taz, I saw that but I have already had some work done on my barrel. It's in the mail back to me. I can't wait to put it to use...