Ithaca Model 37 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Model 37

dp2002813
09-02-2011, 13:57
Hello Mr. Ayoob,

While I waited for my license to carry, I read through several of your writings. I found them VERY helpful and Sir, I sincerely thank you!

While reading some of your BWM articles on firearm recommendations, I noticed one stalwart that was missing. In your experiences, have you found Ithaca Model 37 shotguns comparable to the Mossberg or Remington models?

I am looking for your honest opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Mas Ayoob
09-02-2011, 16:39
dp, I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Ithaca 37. It felt like about a pound less than the Winchester (the only other choice on my department when I started police work in the early 70s), or the Remington 870 that most of the surrounding departments had back then, and I loved the way it handled.

Except for a short period in the '70s when undercapitalization seemed to run them into quality control issues, workmanship was always excellent. Smooth action, nice triggers, good reliability, all of that.

I personally got away from them because, in most iterations, they did not have a trigger disconnector. If you held the trigger back and pumped the action, the gun would fire. I ran across cases in police work (none on my department, thankfully) where this occurred. Though the 37 was the standard police shotgun for both NYPD and LAPD for decades, it eventually "went away," at least in part for that reason.

The same problem is found in the Winchester Model 12 and Model 97.

best,
Mas