SOG Fusion Tomahawk [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SOG Fusion Tomahawk

dp2002813
09-02-2011, 14:05
Hi all,

Does anyone here keep in their bug out/survival kits or use a SOG Tomahawk? (among all the innumerable things we would like to carry just in case)

If so, what is your honest assessment?

Thanks!

ArmoryDoc
09-02-2011, 17:31
Not me. Gerber LMF II does what I need done and is much more portable and stealthy. Good tomahawk though.

meangreenlx50
09-02-2011, 19:13
I have one and my only complaint is the same as others, slick handle. Wrap with paracord. Other than that its fine, alittle small compared to my Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk.

TangoFoxtrot
09-03-2011, 04:19
Nope not a big fan of tomahawks, I perfer a .45 ACP with hollowpoints, A lot more accurate and better range.

dp2002813
09-04-2011, 11:51
Nope not a big fan of tomahawks, I perfer a .45 ACP with hollowpoints, A lot more accurate and better range.

LOL!

Yes, I agree. However, there are certain things I just can't do with a .45 efficiently. Chop wood for a fire comes to mind.

To all, I thank you for your comments. ArmoryDoc and meangreenlx50, I will research into your choices.

Many thanks!

PlasticGuy
09-04-2011, 19:25
I got a SOG tomahawk for my birthday last week. Honestly, I'm still on the fence as far as whether I think it's worth the weight in my kit. It is both lighter and more versatile than a hatchet. It can also do a few things that cannot be efficiently done with any knife. However, it can't replace a knife and has much less value in a fight than an equal weight in extra rifle ammo. I need to keep playing with it and try to make a decision.

sebecman
09-05-2011, 09:43
LOL!

Yes, I agree. However, there are certain things I just can't do with a .45 efficiently. Chop wood for a fire comes to mind.

You need a 10MM.

:supergrin:

Deployment Solu
09-05-2011, 10:52
I have a Lagana and a SOG. I like them both. Watch the Patriot with Mel Gibson and watch what can be done with a hawk and a short sword. Wouldn't work to well in states that allow CCW, but think of the possibilities elsewhere!!! LOL!!

dp2002813
09-05-2011, 19:56
I got a SOG tomahawk for my birthday last week. Honestly, I'm still on the fence as far as whether I think it's worth the weight in my kit. It is both lighter and more versatile than a hatchet. It can also do a few things that cannot be efficiently done with any knife. However, it can't replace a knife and has much less value in a fight than an equal weight in extra rifle ammo. I need to keep playing with it and try to make a decision.

Thanks PlasticGuy!

Rifle, check. Wanted an AR in .458 SOCOM or a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70, but wallet pulled a Nancy Reagan on me and just said, "NO!"

In addition, I have a 12g shotgun, buckshot and a good hunting knife... I'm thinking I need a bigger pack.

Kadetklapp
09-06-2011, 13:24
I got one last fall. I can't say I'm overly impressed with it. I've messed around with throwing 'hawks since I was a kid and my parents and I participated in organized 1700s reenacting. This hawk has issues with the blade chipping from even light use I've found. I'm not impressed with the quality of the blade. I keep it in my pack/BOB for just in case.

Bilbo Bagins
09-06-2011, 14:32

But taking scalps with .45 hollowpoints gets kind of messy.

I kind of like it for screwing around and throwing, but I don't trust a polymer handle axe to do serious woodwork. Hate to have that handle break when you least expect it.

R_W
09-06-2011, 16:55
It isn't good at chopping wood. If you want a tool for building a shelter or fire, buy a Wetterlings 19" axe: http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=52