Micro wind turbines? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Micro wind turbines?

cowboy1964
09-02-2011, 14:16
Let's talk about micro turbines. Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDWjESSuLk&feature=related

Strong enough to trickle charge batteries and would be a good supplement to solar. Might even be better than solar if you have lots of wind.

TangoFoxtrot
09-03-2011, 04:22
Anything beats paying the prices for power the utility companies charge.

RED64CJ5
09-03-2011, 06:03
Anything beats paying the prices for power the utility companies charge.

Except for "green" power sources. Their cost per megawatt or kilowatt hour makes commercial grid power look cheap. It may be fashionable to bash the electric companies for their rates but the reality is being that they can generate en mass, they can do it much more cost effectively.

G29Reload
09-03-2011, 07:32
Except for "green" power sources. Their cost per megawatt or kilowatt hour makes commercial grid power look cheap. It may be fashionable to bash the electric companies for their rates but the reality is being that they can generate en mass, they can do it much more cost effectively.

Except that the reason most are here or would want a small wind turbine is not cost, but independence, and survivability.

Even in a low wind area, occasionally there are windy conditions where if the turbine was producing 10% of the time, it would be worth it as backfill if the sun werent shining or for heavy loads.

Bolster
09-03-2011, 22:46
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the small "micro" turbines required a lot of wind to function? I think that's the price you pay for small blades.

The "energy barrel" in the video is kinda silly. Windmill not hooked up, barrel mostly empty, and solar panels hung about but not orienting to the sun. Once that mill's hooked to a turbine it won't spin so freely...

BORNGEARHEAD
09-04-2011, 00:58
Idk, "10 watts max" from that turbine isn't gonna power much at all. And why on a 55gal drum? That could have all been mounted on a standard cooler.

LongGun1
09-04-2011, 10:34
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the small "micro" turbines required a lot of wind to function? I think that's the price you pay for small blades.

The "energy barrel" in the video is kinda silly. Windmill not hooked up, barrel mostly empty, and solar panels hung about but not orienting to the sun. Once that mill's hooked to a turbine it won't spin so freely...

+1 :supergrin:

If I were going to engineer a portable lightweight micro-wind turbine setup like this for a specific purpose..

..such as running a radio, cell phone charger, laptop & mobile hotspot while at the beach or while hiking..

..I would have removable blades so the VAWT unit could be compactly stored inside the cooler..

..or a portable, guy-wired, sectioned pole HAWT setup that could employ larger blades..

.. that could be dual use with an antenna for a transceiver.

wrenrj1
09-04-2011, 10:40
Idk, "10 watts max" from that turbine isn't gonna power much at all. And why on a 55gal drum? That could have all been mounted on a standard cooler.

And keep beer cold at the same time...:tongueout: