9mm NATO +p [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm NATO +p

tacmc6
09-02-2011, 14:39
Would a Winchester Ranger 124 gr +p NATO round serve a dual purpose as practice/carry load? I currently carry Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr in all my Glocks. These are all 2nd & 3rd Gen. THANKS -----Tony

Mas Ayoob
09-02-2011, 16:49
Tac, I'd STRONGLY recommend against that. Ball ammo has a long and ugly history of shooting through and through bad guys, with more than enough power to kill any unseen bystanders located behind them, and leaving puckered icepick-like wounds that rarely stop aggression instantly unless the central nervous system is hit.

If you have a good, value-priced source of 9mm NATO, I'd suggest using it for practice, and loading with 124 grain +P hollow point for carry and home defense. Recoil and trajectory should be very similar...it's the poor terminal bullet performance of full metal jacket 9mm that presents a problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings,
Mas

tacmc6
09-03-2011, 07:13
THANKS Mas for the quick and informative response. Is the 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense worth it or stick with the 124 gr +P JHP Winchester Ranger for carry/personal defense? ---------THANKS again---Tony

Mas Ayoob
09-03-2011, 07:53
Decision's yours, Tony. Both companies make a high quality product. Google search or search on Caliber Corner here at Glock Talk might be of interest to you.

best,
Mas