Job interview for LE jobs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Job interview for LE jobs

Diesel McBadass
09-02-2011, 20:27
Haven't had any yet but wondering how these go, and how to dress for these and such. I know its mostly scenarios local with what-would-you-do type stuff but don;t know what it would be like federally, most job interviews ive had (wal amrt, pizza hut, shaws, etc, ahve been jokes.) Lookin for advice here seein theres been several interview threads.

G30SF/F-250
09-02-2011, 20:55
You are ********d.:supergrin:

GotGlock1917
09-02-2011, 20:58
Don't forget to duct tape ballistic plates to you back.

Facejackets
09-02-2011, 20:58
"Would you rather have sex with a dog, or cat?"

And yes, you have to pick on or the other.

Naelbis
09-02-2011, 20:59
Wear a nicely pressed suit and expect a decent mix between the standard interview questions and more job specific stuff. Shake everyone's hand that is introduced, remember their names, sit up straight, be respectful, look them in the eye when speaking, answer confidently but don't be afraid to admit if you don't know the answer to something. That is the best advice I can give without knowing more about where you are applying.

Sharkey
09-02-2011, 21:48
Wear a nicely pressed suit and expect a decent mix between the standard interview questions and more job specific stuff. Shake everyone's hand that is introduced, remember their names, sit up straight, be respectful, look them in the eye when speaking, answer confidently but don't be afraid to admit if you don't know the answer to something. That is the best advice I can give without knowing more about where you are applying.

Good advice.

Diesel McBadass
09-02-2011, 21:50
How shpuld i dress? any need to buy any new threads?

larry_minn
09-02-2011, 21:55
Ask question in Cop Talk area.

My suggestion is for ANY interview. Go online and find out some info about company, who is President/owner, cheif..... What their "mission statement" is.
Learn a little about area, some issues that are in news...

You can never go wrong with being EARLY, well dressed, polite, etc. Good luck.

emopunker2004
09-02-2011, 21:56

For my interview it was minimum of dress pants dress shirt and tie. suit preferred.

emopunker2004
09-02-2011, 21:57

I thought that was saved for the psych eval? :dunno:

boomhower
09-02-2011, 21:57

You need a decent suite. This is a professional career, just because your in a uniform on the job doesn't make it any less professional than a business setting.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ray9898
09-02-2011, 22:00

Suit. Pressed shirt with no wrinkles. Shine the shoes.

KiloBravo
09-02-2011, 22:11
Suit. Pressed shirt with no wrinkles. Shine the shoes.

This is exactly how I dressed for my interview that I had with the department I am almost finished testing for. You can never be over dressed for a formal job interview, and you get one chance to make a good first impression. I would also add make sure you are clean shaved and shower and use DO before you show up. Don't laugh! There were at least two guys that showed up the same day as me that smelled like a freaking dive bar.

G30SF/F-250
09-02-2011, 22:13
Shpuld.

:tongueout:

Fed Five Oh
09-02-2011, 22:16

Specify female dog and you are good to go.

Bring a dozen donuts.

Little known secret, if 6 are blueberry cake donuts, you will be offered the job at the end of the interview and be issued a handgun upon acceptance of job offer, prior to completion to the academy.

BWT
09-02-2011, 22:17
Suit and shined shoes as mentioned above. Make good eye contact when answering questions. Be confident and don't let them talk you into changing your answer. Some situational questions will have more than one correct answer. Prepare a closing statement that explains why you are the best candidate for the position. They might ask what you would do if you saw a fellow officer breaking the rules.

The Fist Of Goodness
09-02-2011, 22:20
When I interviewed for the PA State Police back in the early 90's, I was the only candidate who showed up on my scheduled day who wore a suit. There were guys who actually wore shorts and t-shirts. I was surprised, but I had mentors in LE who I could go to for advice, so I had an idea of what to expect.

LE is an extremely competitive field to break into. LEOs also make very quick appraisals of people based on their appearance. It is part of their job. If you show up for an interview dressed professionally, their impression will be favorable (i.e. you are serious about the job). If you show up in shorts, your resume will most likely end up in the shredder.

In my case, after the interview, my ranking state-wide went from @ 1200 on the list to the low 80's. Maybe I just aced the interview, but I think appearance had something to do with it too.

puckhead
09-02-2011, 22:20
Decent suit and tie. Most of my questions were not scenarios. Why are you here, why would you fit well with them. What made you want to be a cop etc. What is the Chiefs name...for real lol

KiloBravo
09-02-2011, 22:33
When I interviewed for the PA State Police back in the early 90's, I was the only candidate who showed up on my scheduled day who wore a suit. There were guys who actually wore shorts and t-shirts. I was surprised, but I had mentors in LE who I could go to for advice, so I had an idea of what to expect.

LE is an extremely competitive field to break into. LEOs also make very quick appraisals of people based on their appearance. It is part of their job. If you show up for an interview dressed professionally, their impression will be favorable (i.e. you are serious about the job). If you show up in shorts, your resume will most likely end up in the shredder.

In my case, after the interview, my ranking state-wide went from @ 1200 on the list to the low 80's. Maybe I just aced the interview, but I think appearance had something to do with it too.

Not to thread jack, but if you are currently with the PA State Police, please feel free to PM me any advice you have for the academy. I hope to complete the psych this month, and start the academy in November if all goes as planned.

DaneA
09-02-2011, 22:33
Since all the good advice has been given I'll just say dress to impress:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-B0vZbO8Y4cmKcsxxFKWOO3dXufbPNBpj1fvhJFYJazz8XtdjdA

Minnow
09-02-2011, 22:43
Subdue any female in the room and immediately establish dominance among the male officers. If you have any 5.11 gear to wear, your a shoe-in...

The Fist Of Goodness
09-02-2011, 22:53
Not to thread jack, but if you are currently with the PA State Police, please feel free to PM me any advice you have for the academy. I hope to complete the psych this month, and start the academy in November if all goes as planned.

Sorry, I was picked up by a Fed agency before I finished the process for PASP. I got as far as the physical agility/medical when I was offered the other job.

Good luck.

Scott3670
09-02-2011, 22:59
Whatever you do, let them finish their question or comment. Never step on their words. Then, whatever you do, speak clearly (no slang) and with great confidence. And never, ever try to BS your way out of a scenario (and they will try to trip you up). I interviewed with DEA, Secret Service, the local sheriff, and ATF before ATF hired me.

The best of luck to you.

KiloBravo
09-02-2011, 23:00
Sorry, I was picked up by a Fed agency before I finished the process for PASP. I got as far as the physical agility/medical when I was offered the other job.

Good luck.

No worries. Thanks for the kind words!

In a weird sort of way, I am kind of looking forward to getting my butt kicked at the academy for 27 weeks straight. I can sure use the vacation. :supergrin:

tat2guy
09-02-2011, 23:00
Haven't had any yet but wondering how these go, and how to dress for these and such. I know its mostly scenarios local with what-would-you-do type stuff but don;t know what it would be like federally, most job interviews ive had (wal amrt, pizza hut, shaws, etc, ahve been jokes.) Lookin for advice here seein theres been several interview threads.

Pray that there are no essay questions, or leave your proof reader at home that day.

deerhuntr88
09-02-2011, 23:08
+1 on just about everyone's advice. Remember what some others said: BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR ANSWERS. They will ask you to clarify and try to get you to change your mind as well. Stick with your first gut feeling and you'll do fine.

gemeinschaft
09-02-2011, 23:10
During an interview for an LE Agency I was asked:

"How many manholes are there in the city of Seattle Washington?"

I responded with, "Sir, I do not have that information with me, but I can contact the City of Seattle Washington Public Works Department and find out."

I did well.

I even had multiple people on the panel try to rail me at the same time with questions. I had to take control of the room and make order out of chaos. Again, another important test that you may see. If hired, you will be making order out of chaos daily.

Wear a conservative style suit with a tie - ALWAYS.

Another thing that you need to do is research the agency and learn as much as possible.

GAFinch
09-03-2011, 00:15
Don't get too far ahead of yourself. You need a college degree for most federal jobs.

LEO/Dad
09-03-2011, 06:59
My son does background checks for new applicants. No rock goes unturned.

JohnHoliday
09-03-2011, 07:06
What agency?

PM me if you don't want to post it on here, but I may be able to help.

Definitely wear a suit and tie. Research the agency! Know everything they do!

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 07:27
Im starting with the border patrol, taking their entry exam and will egt interview based on results. But i other openings come up I'll look into it.

Highspeedlane
09-03-2011, 07:34
During an interview for an LE Agency I was asked:

"How many manholes are there in the city of Seattle Washington?"

I responded with, "Sir, I do not have that information with me, but I can contact the City of Seattle Washington Public Works Department and find out."

Interesting info for sure.

Here though, the correct answer to such a question is, "Sir, we don't have 'manholes' in Mass, we have 'Personholes'!" :kidding:

JohnHoliday
09-03-2011, 07:38
Im starting with the border patrol, taking their entry exam and will egt interview based on results. But i other openings come up I'll look into it.

BP is a good place to start, good training, and you can have a lot of fun working. I met some good BP agents, and work of people that used to work there. Their academy is one of the tougher physically ones, a lot of marching and what not, but isn't too bad.

Apply to EVERY fed leo job out there if you want to get in. FBI opened their Special Agent hiring not too long back, US Marshals are supposed to open theirs soon, DEA and ATF can both be fun agencies, but there are a ton of other fun agencies and still be an 1811 at and get a lot of good experience. It can take a long time to get in, so apply to them all, you can always turn them down if you don't want them.

You will make a lot more money in the Feds, easily to make 100k in 3-4 years, but don't look past state and local agencies. As far as actual LE work goes, you can't really beat working the streets. Depending on the agency, you may or may not get a lot of street time, working as a local for a handful of years will be great experience, but a lot of fun as well. My academy class of 46 people had over 40 as prior LEO, and 18 of the 46 had prior military experience also. Only 4 had no prior LE or Military.

Best of luck.

Sgt127
09-03-2011, 08:09
I did Review boards for years. Listen to the above advice. From my experience, heres a couple deal killers.

Come in late for the interview.
Look like crap, clothing, hair, shoes, whatever.
Speak like an idiot.
Slouch, cross arms, sprawl in the chair.
Using the word "whatever" as a single word reply for anything.
Making me feel like you are bothered to be here.
Anything you ever read about how to dominate a room and impress people, forget about, we will think you are an ass. Crushing power handshake while slightly tugging on my hand to pull me off balance to show your strength will piss me off. I will want to use that to put you in a wrist lock, but, I won't, I will simply fail you on the interview and show you I am in charge after all.
Steadfastly sticking with a stupid idea and defending it until the end will not show you have conviction, it will show you can't respond to a changing scenario. Or, that someone told you to "never change your mind, it makes you look weak."

Just be yourself. Be a little humble. Be honest. We deal with people that lie to us all the time, we can smell crap from a mile away.

And, realize departments have different philosophies. We may be a slightly rougher, tougher kick ass kind of department, and, are looking for that kind of applicant. The next city over may be looking for kinder, gentler more cereberal Officers. You may or not be a good fit in one and, get rejected but may a perfect fit elswhere.

Good luck.

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 08:21
Guess i got to go buy some new threads, i got shirts and ties but no suits really.

JuneyBooney
09-03-2011, 08:30

The worst thing is that you are serious. And right...:rofl:

JuneyBooney
09-03-2011, 08:33
Guess i got to go buy some new threads, i got shirts and ties but no suits really.

Dark blue conservative of suit will do fine. Or blue with gray slacks and you will be set with a nice tie..preferably without any weird images on it. :cool: Good luck but is anyone really hiring now?

TurtleBoy617
09-03-2011, 08:36
Learn not only about the agency, but also about the city. people in charge including mayor, council members, different departments, how the city is laid out, populations etc. I have been interviewed and these have come up to see if I just want a job or if I really want to be a part of that community.

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 08:36
Dark blue conservative of suit will do fine. Or blue with gray slacks and you will be set with a nice tie..preferably without any weird images on it. :cool: Good luck but is anyone really hiring now?

BP was on a hiring freeze until a month or two ago and i was crusing usa jobs and saw them.

wrenrj1
09-03-2011, 08:45
Tuxedo T-shirt will get you by on the cheap. Accessorize as well. Carry a cane or umbrella, but don't wear a hat. I hear you get one of those if you're hired.

JuneyBooney
09-03-2011, 08:54
BP was on a hiring freeze until a month or two ago and i was crusing usa jobs and saw them.

As long as you have never used serious drugs go for it. Just wear the suit and you stand a good chance especially if you claim you are "other" on your race so you could be anything and avoid racial quotas.:whistling: Good luck.

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 08:56
As long as you have never used serious drugs go for it. Just wear the suit and you stand a good chance especially if you claim you are "other" on your race so you could be anything and avoid racial quotas.:whistling: Good luck.

Im white lol racial quotas suck.

Just1More
09-03-2011, 09:07
Standard Mall attire should be adequate.

jerrytrini
09-03-2011, 09:11
If you are applying for LE recruit/academy then the questions will be generic. You will not be asked LE questions. E.G. "why do you want to become a police officer? Why this department? What is your edge over the other candidates? What skills do you have to make the difference in the community?
Don't lie about ANYTHING, the BI will find out. Background investigations are very tough. Learn about the city and the department.
No facial hair, don't shave your head. Put on a dark suit with a conservative dress shirt and tie. Don't wear excessive jewelry (ok with wedding band and watch. Clean fingernails and make sure you chew a breath mint before the interview.

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 09:20
I hate the why do you want to be here, what skillsw put you above others questions. One, i don't know what other candidates are bringing to the table. Second, I don't know how do describe why i want to go into law enforcement, i just know i do, guessing being vague is bad.

prism
09-03-2011, 09:33
My academy class of 46 people .....

..... Only 4 had no prior LE or Military.

this looks like important information for someone who wants to be federal LE.

nikerret
09-03-2011, 10:04
Is this thread serious?

gemeinschaft
09-03-2011, 10:11
Interesting info for sure.

Here though, the correct answer to such a question is, "Sir, we don't have 'manholes' in Mass, we have 'Personholes'!" :kidding:

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Diesel McBadass
09-03-2011, 11:35
Is this thread serious?

Yeah it is.

And ill need to think of answers to "why do i want to be a police officer."

I know its what i want to do and feel im meant for it, can't place why though.

brob2425
09-03-2011, 11:57
Dress in your best tacti-cool gear and when you're called in kick the door open and clear the room using your hand as a gun. Make sure you pie the door and check your corners and blind spots. Let them know you don't need no stinkin academy.

hhb
09-03-2011, 12:04
DO NOT mention, if you are, that you are a martial artist, Kung Fu, Karate, etc., because those people break bones, and government agencies pay the bill.

nikerret
09-03-2011, 12:09
I fear you will reach more failures than others with similar education and experience.

Suit and tie for an interview. I've never worn anything less, even for interviews for positions within the department. You only have one opportunity to make a first impression.

No suit? Wear the best clothes you have. Also, most LE Admin aren't flashy or trendy.

I had a ton of first interviews and a lot of oral boards befroe I was hired by my first Dept.

I had a few that gave me a law or policy, a time limit to read it, and then asked me questions to determine my abilities in reading comprehension, short term memory, thought process explanation, and how firm I stood on my decisions and why.

Others asked me LE questions that should be common sense. Even if you answer incorrectly, you can redeem yourself with a well thought out and delivered explanation.

They will likely ask you about illegal, unethical, and immoral acts you have committed and seen committed. Then, you get to discuss many of those, in detail. Conssitency is key, here. They will understand you can't remember absolutely everything.

On your application, you will be judged by its appearance.

I had to write out a few sample reports during interviews with given time limits.

You will be evaluated in every manner during every step along the way. don't pick a wedgie in the waiting room.

Patchman
09-03-2011, 13:52

No agency expect you to wear custom made suits. When you buy an off-the-rack suit, go with someone and have them check the back of the suit material (around your neck area) isn't pulling because the suit is too narrow for your shoulders.

Also, once you purchased the suit, take it to a tailor. Have the sleeves and pant legs properly shortened. I personally like the sleeves to end at my wrist (so a little shirt sleeve can show). But do not wear a suit where the sleeves stop at your thumb or something ridiculous looking like that.

Having the tailor take the suit in at the waist, and fitting it to your body can be an issue, especially if you're going to wear a gun.

Unistat
09-03-2011, 15:08
Here are some things I learned from my hiring process with the Border Patrol. For background, I was hired and went to Artesia, but I returned home after determining that, although it was an amazing career and I would have loved it, it was not the right choice for my family. To stay would have been selfish of me, though it was hard to leave.

BP is looking for maturity and good judgement. If you have these qualities you will pass the Oral Board. If you don't you will fail. I stress that you do not try and give them the answers you think they want. Be honest in your responses because they will know if you are not.

The gentlemen interviewing you are looking at you from the perspective that they will one day be in the field with you. They do not want jackwagons for partners.

The BP has a very high esprit de corps and they do not want people who will not represent them well. Unlike a lot of police academies, at Artesia you will be along side the men and women you will be working with daily. One of the things that bums me out the most is that I will not be able to work with the awsome men and women that were my classmates.

Wear a suit and be early. When answering the questions, do your best to paint a picture for the Agents. They cannot read your mind.

Do not try and ask other applicants or Agents about specific questions. We had to sign an NDA before the interview.

Google Honor First. It is run by a retired Agent for applicants. Read everything there. Read it again. Then go to the Honor First forums and read as much as you can over there. This website will be your greatest source of specific hiring info. Several active BPAs post there as well as Agents involved in the hiring process. Do not act like a d-bag over there because it WILL follow you all the way to FLETC if you get hired, I'm not joking.

Good luck on an amazing job!

puckhead
09-03-2011, 23:47
For the suit you dont need to get much if you already have the shirt, tie and slacks. Find a color you look good in the get a jacket to match. Good to go, and now you have your go to interview clothes.

MeefZah
09-04-2011, 10:54
If you seriously have to ask on an internet forum what to wear to a ******* job interview, then you are hosed. Give up now.

LEO/Dad
09-05-2011, 08:57
My son was applying for a LEO position in an affluent KS city. One of the interviewers asked my son what he thought of Snobish, Big headed, Arrogant, Obnoxious and Selfish people. My son gave his answer, whatever it was. The interviewer then said, "These people represent 90% of our community".

msu_grad_121
09-05-2011, 09:02
My son was applying for a LEO position in an affluent KS city. One of the interviewers asked my son what he thought of Snobish, Big headed, Arrogant, Obnoxious and Selfish people. My son gave his answer, whatever it was. The interviewer then said, "These people represent 90% of our community".

Points for honesty, I suppose...

nikerret
09-06-2011, 10:08

The correct answer was: They ain't got SHHH on me!

Did he get the job?