Can High capacity imported mags be used in a Non-Converted (stock) Saiga? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can High capacity imported mags be used in a Non-Converted (stock) Saiga?

Ewalk
09-03-2011, 00:00
I would like to know if anyone here knows or has gotten "official" word on whether or not a person with a Stock (unconverted) Saiga can use high cap mags (non-U.S. manufacture) in it legally? Any and all input from knowledgeable people is welcome. I can't seem to find any straight answers on-line so I hope someone here knows. Also I am assuming that this is the appropriate place to post this, if not please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help,
EWALK "Seconds,please!" Bravo

brausso
09-03-2011, 00:40
The answer is no. You must be 922r compliant first

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Ewalk
09-03-2011, 10:38
Thank you for your input, that is what I thought. The reason I am asking though is that I spoke to a guy who manufactures AKs and he said that the original distributor had to make them 922r compliant in order to sell them in CA. I am a LEO so I own Standard (read as "High") capacity mags and would like to use them in my Saiga but want to maintain my rifle in a legal configuration.

Again thanks to all for your input

Ewalk "Sure, I'd love a Hamburger" Holmes

Snooch..!!!
09-03-2011, 20:21
Yes you could use standard capacity (30 round) AK mags because a stock sporter version Saiga does not have any of the "evil" features which qualify it for the 922R restrictions. The newer Saigas in a standard AK configuration would fall under this law if for some reason it did NOT have the required US parts.

However, the sporter version Saigas front trunion is milled in a way that prevents standard AK mags from fitting. In my Saiga I had to remove the "extra" material in order to fit standard mags. This is why there are special Saiga mags to begin with. Also you would need a bullet guide installed for the ammunition to cycle and not head butt into the bottom of the breach face. It's a bit of work to get standard AK mags to work, but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Hope this helps. :wavey:

my762buzz
09-03-2011, 23:34
Yes you could use standard capacity (30 round) AK mags because a stock sporter version Saiga does not have any of the "evil" features which qualify it for the 922R restrictions. The newer Saigas in a standard AK configuration would fall under this law if for some reason it did NOT have the required US parts.

However, the sporter version Saigas front trunion is milled in a way that prevents standard AK mags from fitting. In my Saiga I had to remove the "extra" material in order to fit standard mags. This is why there are special Saiga mags to begin with. Also you would need a bullet guide installed for the ammunition to cycle and not head butt into the bottom of the breach face. It's a bit of work to get standard AK mags to work, but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Sorry but this is technically incorrect.
High capacity compatible rifles have been banned from import since 1998.
The famous law repeatedly cited regarding this issue states that you cannot make your rifle into a form that cannot readily be imported, unless you do so using no more than 10 specific foreign parts based on the official list. A sporter saiga contains 14 parts based on the list. Just because they sell aftermarket magazines that will work with a nonmodified saiga does not mean
that you can legally use them. This is a well hashed out issue on many forums and if you search enough you will find a mountain of evidence supporting what I am saying.

Snooch..!!!
09-04-2011, 00:40
:steamed:

Quiet
09-04-2011, 08:51
You need to comply with Fed 992r, in order to legally use large capacity magazines in it.

Also note that normal AK magazines will not work properly in a non-modified Saiga.

Ewalk
09-05-2011, 03:05
Sorry but this is technically incorrect.
High capacity compatible rifles have been banned from import since 1998.
The famous law repeatedly cited regarding this issue states that you cannot make your rifle into a form that cannot readily be imported, unless you do so using no more than 10 specific foreign parts based on the official list. A sporter saiga contains 14 parts based on the list. Just because they sell aftermarket magazines that will work with a nonmodified saiga does not mean
that you can legally use them. This is a well hashed out issue on many forums and if you search enough you will find a mountain of evidence supporting what I am saying.

Thank You 7.62 buzz, I have already modified my Saiga's Trunnion w/the bullet guide (which I just recently had welded in) and the magazine catch and I am using some 10 round Tapco AK mags I got but wanted to make sure before I slap anything bigger in my rifle. I really appreciate your help on this Buzz, I have seen some of your other posts and you strike me as knowledgeable. what you said is what I thought but the very credible guy I talked to said otherwise. I will play it safe and just get in compliance.

P.S. MY7.62buzz I love your Avatar! This is the Spirit of Truth! Cut that _____ off!

Ewalk
09-05-2011, 03:06

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Stay safe.

my762buzz
09-05-2011, 15:08
Thank You 7.62 buzz, I have already modified my Saiga's Trunnion w/the bullet guide (which I just recently had welded in) and the magazine catch and I am using some 10 round Tapco AK mags I got but wanted to make sure before I slap anything bigger in my rifle. I really appreciate your help on this Buzz, I have seen some of your other posts and you strike me as knowledgeable. what you said is what I thought but the very credible guy I talked to said otherwise. I will play it safe and just get in compliance.

P.S. MY7.62buzz I love your Avatar! This is the Spirit of Truth! Cut that _____ off!

http://www.raacfirearms.com/index.php3?pageid=ContactUs.htm
You can always call Russian American Armory the importer for the past few years. Speak to Clyde Woods an owner and ask whether using a magazine that can load over ten rounds violates the Ferderal law 922r with a stock Saiga rifle. If I remember correctly, he also stated this on a you tube video with nutnfancy. This issue has been run over and over for years on AK forums and any time someone writes the ATF they always confirm that you can't use higher capacity mags in a stock saiga unless the foreign parts count is 10 or less. Some other people either don't really understand the law or refuse to follow it and purposely will misguide others.

By the way, Reverend X (Don Vincent) the Gansta Preacher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayWQGYHG2GQ

was on the Howard Stern show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNrr4l9SUM&feature=related

my762buzz
09-05-2011, 18:07
I found the you tube of clyde woods speaking of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q69lNr4C25U
skip to 8:40 minutes into the video

:steamed:

Snooch are you steamed because someone assured you otherwise or some other reason?

Ewalk
09-05-2011, 23:58
http://www.raacfirearms.com/index.php3?pageid=ContactUs.htm
You can always call Russian American Armory the importer for the past few years. Speak to Clyde Woods an owner and ask whether using a magazine that can load over ten rounds violates the Ferderal law 922r with a stock Saiga rifle. If I remember correctly, he also stated this on a you tube video with nutnfancy. This issue has been run over and over for years on AK forums and any time someone writes the ATF they always confirm that you can't use higher capacity mags in a stock saiga unless the foreign parts count is 10 or less. Some other people either don't really understand the law or refuse to follow it and purposely will misguide others.

By the way, Reverend X (Don Vincent) the Gansta Preacher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayWQGYHG2GQ

was on the Howard Stern show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNrr4l9SUM&feature=related
LOL, that guy is hilarious have you seen him on the Daniel Tosh show when he did his "Web Redemption" IDK how to copy video on to my message but i am sure u can find it on youtube. and thanks for looking out for people trying to be responsible gun owners.

EWALK