Here's An Odd One [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Here's An Odd One

Hef
09-03-2011, 07:28
Product:

HP dv9000 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium

After 6 months of being in storage, I plug it in and fire it up. I get the "Operating System Not Found" message. I tried booting into safe mode, didn't work. I booted from a Linux-based drive wiping disc, and that worked, but the HD was not found.

So I removed and reinstalled the HD. Now it begins to fire up Vista, but when the desktop is supposed to appear, it instead gives me a black screen with a cursor. The touchpad moves the cursor, but nothing else happens.

Any ideas?

6StringGeek
09-03-2011, 07:45
Dumb question, but is the drive in the right boot order? Mine did that awhile back and I had to go into the bios and reselect the drive to boot from.

Hef
09-03-2011, 07:51
Dumb question, but is the drive in the right boot order? Mine did that awhile back and I had to go into the bios and reselect the drive to boot from.

I checked that. No luck.

I'm thinking the HD might be damaged. Not sure why it would be. Maybe partitions corrupted.

Linux3
09-03-2011, 14:22
The lubricant in hard drives can congeal if they have been just sitting for a long time.
Really, I'm not kidding.... Pull the drive out and holding it with your thumb on one side and findgers on the other twist you wrist back and forth.
This MAY free up the drive head.

Just keep rebooting for a few times.

Hef
09-03-2011, 16:39
The lubricant in hard drives can congeal if they have been just sitting for a long time.
Really, I'm not kidding.... Pull the drive out and holding it with your thumb on one side and findgers on the other twist you wrist back and forth.

I'll try that.

Hef
09-03-2011, 16:49

Didn't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 06:26
The first problem is you have Vista. But, I digress...

This is going to sound crazy but bear with me.

Remove the drive and wrap it in multiple paper towels. Stick the drive in the freezer or deep freeze if you have one. DO NOT PUT IT IN A ZIPLOC BAG. Just paper towels.

Leave it there for 24 hours and remove. Leave it wrapped and let it warm up to room temperature on its own for 24 hours. Place it back in the computer and fire it up. If the metal parts were seized, the freezing will cause them to expand/contract and should free them up.

However, If you are getting to the Vista splash screen, your drive is not seized up. Re-image the drive and move on. If it happens again, your drive is going bad.

Wait, you have restore CD's so restore it. If you need to salvage files from it you could use a portable drive and make it bootable, boot the system from the portable and then remove the needed files. Then restore the drive. You can also make a bootable Vista image on a flash drive which would reinstall the OS from the flash drive. If you need help doing this, post here. As long as you have a Vista key, you can download all you need to do this.

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 06:29
I bet your hard drive is a Western Digital WD2500 250GB?