Did RCBS forget some parts/pieces? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did RCBS forget some parts/pieces?

Beanie-Bean
09-03-2011, 08:00
Well, thanks to reading a lot about .357 SIG and .40 S&W bulged out case issues, I headed out to add an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme to the bench.

Upon opening the box, I noticed that there aren't many parts included. Pretty basic design, so I wasn't expecting the setup to take very long. However, there were no mounting bolts/washers/nuts included!

Off to the hardware store I go...

Oh yeah, I plan on using the RC for sizing/decapping the brass I mentioned above. The Redding dual ring carbide pushy thing looks like it's the one that'll work with both calibers.

I'll probably get the requisite powder measure, loading blocks, and hand priming unit just so I can also "drive a stick" in addition to driving the "automatic" 550.

WiskyT
09-03-2011, 08:28
I've never seen mounting hardware included in a press.

Beanie-Bean
09-03-2011, 08:34
I suppose that because I ordered the strong mount with the 550, it was the mount that shipped with the bolts, and not the press.

The world will never know...just like the owl says.

WiskyT
09-03-2011, 08:42
I suppose that because I ordered the strong mount with the 550, it was the mount that shipped with the bolts, and not the press.

Actually, the wise owl was right, three to reach the center.

unclebob
09-03-2011, 08:57

The bolts come with the press to mount the press to the table. the strong mount comes with bolts to mount the press to the strong mount.

Beanie-Bean
09-03-2011, 09:10
The bolts come with the press to mount the press to the table. the strong mount comes with bolts to mount the press to the strong mount.

Yup, then Dillon included everything, RCBS did not. In fact, the user manual specified use of 3/8" bolts, and didn't refer to Part A, or Part B, as do some manuals if the hardware were included.

unclebob
09-03-2011, 09:37
Well, thanks to reading a lot about .357 SIG and .40 S&W bulged out case issues, I headed out to add an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme to the bench.
I'll probably get the requisite powder measure, loading blocks, and hand priming unit just so I can also "drive a stick" in addition to driving the "automatic" 550.

So you went out and bought a SS press for an issue that you donít even know if you even will have or not? Unless you load that so that every time you pull the trigger you get a nose bleed. You should not have any problem with bulged cases. I know me and a lot of my friends that use to shoot a lot of 40 never had a problem with bulged cases. Your 550 can do just about everything that a SS can do. And even if you wanted to run the cases through a bulge buster you can do that on a 550 or 650.

Fwdftw
09-03-2011, 12:53
The lct didn't include bolts either

unclebob
09-03-2011, 13:02
The lct didn't include bolts either

Lee supplies the bolts with their mounting kit.

Tpro
09-03-2011, 14:47
So you went out and bought a SS press for an issue that you donít even know if you even will have or not? Unless you load that so that every time you pull the trigger you get a nose bleed. You should not have any problem with bulged cases. I know me and a lot of my friends that use to shoot a lot of 40 never had a problem with bulged cases. Your 550 can do just about everything that a SS can do. And even if you wanted to run the cases through a bulge buster you can do that on a 550 or 650.

I agree 100%. Seems like the OP mentally beat himself into an issue that only has life because of the web. Could have spent the money better IMHO. Infact, the 550 (which I believe the OP to have) will operate just like a SS if done correctly. So, with the purchase of a tool head and a "bulge busting" die (or what ever) he could do the same thing with the 550. Another tool head and universal decapping die, and you could do all your decapping on the same press.

I know that many will argue with the wisdom of owning a SS press. I just whole heartedly disagree. Seems like an increadible waste to me.

Beanie-Bean
09-03-2011, 15:24
I appreciate the feedback, and will head back to return the Rock Chucker for other things, like bullets and powder.

I'll figure out how to get the bulge-buster working on 550B, and will document the results.

unclebob
09-03-2011, 16:27
If you really think you need to run them through the bulge buster. Get a Lee FCD die unscrew the stem screw the die into the press at station 3. Get a brass bolt that holds the toilet down to the floor. Grind the bolt down so that it fits in the shell plate 45 ACP or bigger works the best. You might have to cut the bolt down to give you more room. Place the case on the bolt base side up and push it through the FCD. Or you can get the Lee and grind the punch down so that it fits in the shell plate. I think you will find that it will be a waste of time. Use a Lee sizer die and you should not have any problems.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2011, 17:32
I appreciate the feedback, and will head back to return the Rock Chucker for other things, like bullets and powder.

I'll figure out how to get the bulge-buster working on 550B, and will document the results.

Alright.

Bulge Buster doesn't work on the 550 with out making a custom pushing stem of some sort

Why you getting the bulge buster? You just started loading. Are you having problems with your brass in some way? I would get a non-dillon sizing die as my first step to solve that type of problem. Not some bulge kit.

Beanie-Bean
09-03-2011, 18:08
Alright.

Bulge Buster doesn't work on the 550 with out making a custom pushing stem of some sort

Why you getting the bulge buster? You just started loading. Are you having problems with your brass in some way? I would get a non-dillon sizing die as my first step to solve that type of problem. Not some bulge kit.

No problems with my brass, Steve. Just a little paranoid after reading too much. Perhaps, after reading too much into some topics.

Hell, I haven't even ordered the .40 S&W dies yet. I had my eyes on the Lee deluxe pistol set, and wanted to give that a whirl in the Dillon. I know that you're not a fan of the FCD, which I believe is the #4 die in the set. However, I like having all my digits and parts (and pistols) in working order--if that means a small investment in devices which will make shooting reloaded ammo a safe and enjoyable experience, then I'm all for that.

After thinking (again) about what everyone has offered up in advice today, I think that the money will be best invested in the .40 S&W and .357 SIG dies.

If the brass is bulged out after I shoot it, or after I find it on the range, then I'll just keep it in the same bucket as the .45 Castrati rounds (hehe) and will fix it after I figure out how to get them sized properly.

Colorado4Wheel
09-03-2011, 18:11
It's going to "bulge" a little when you shoot it. It will resize fine.

You can buy the Deluxe 3 Die set from lee then add a crimp die from Lee and not end up with the FCD. You simple don't need a FCD and you will become a better loader learning how to set things up and not having that die in place.

Tpro
09-03-2011, 23:03
It's going to "bulge" a little when you shoot it. It will resize fine.

You can buy the Deluxe 3 Die set from lee then add a crimp die from Lee and not end up with the FCD. You simple don't need a FCD and you will become a better loader learning how to set things up and not having that die in place.

BB this is worth paying attention to. Most people (myself included) don't care for the Lee FCD. If you search it you can find something on it. If not maybe Steve will explain it for you. Here is my short explanation: neck tension holds the bullet in the case. A FCD won't help, and in fact can affect accuracy. That's my .02.

Edmo01
09-04-2011, 06:40
Upon opening the box, I noticed that there aren't many parts included. Pretty basic design, so I wasn't expecting the setup to take very long. However, there were no mounting bolts/washers/nuts included!

Off to the hardware store I go...

RCBS doesn't know the thickness of your bench top so bolt length would be an issue. I've found RCBS to have some of the best customer service around, so if something is wrong they will make it right.

Edmo