Is firefox 6 freezing for anyone else? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is firefox 6 freezing for anyone else?

bchandler
09-03-2011, 12:08
Firefox seems to randomly freeze for me. This happens several times per day, where the view will fade out and it will say "not responding" in the program bar.

Is there any way I can roll back to the previous version?

Pierre!
09-03-2011, 13:29
So far so good for me...

If your system created a restore point when FF 6 installed, then you can roll it back.

You may be able to find other versions on the 'Net, but I would only accept them from 'Mozilla' - other versions might have *extra* 'goodies' attached...

You tried clearing the browser cache and... a reboot I'm sure...

Keep us posted, capture any error message that might pop up.

Patrick

Billua
09-03-2011, 13:47
Yes! I went back to 3.6

alecks
09-03-2011, 13:49
yes constantly... I just switched to chrome instead.

Sgt. Schultz
09-03-2011, 14:47
6.0.1 is working fine for me ...

Dandapani
09-03-2011, 15:01
Firefox 4, 5, and now 6 all crash several times a day while using Yahoo! Mail. I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back.

Detectorist
09-03-2011, 16:12
Firefox 5 and 6 have worked great for me. First on VISTA Basic then on a different HD with Windows 7.

I don't use Yahoo and I'm wondering if that's the problem for some folks.

g29andy
09-03-2011, 16:36
When I upgraded to 6.0, I had lots o' freezing. For some reason, the upgrade path was the problem. Need to do a clean install instead.

Backup your bookmarks. Uninstall completely. Then reinstall 6.0/6.01. No more freezing.

Dandapani
09-03-2011, 16:58
Firefox 5 and 6 have worked great for me. First on VISTA Basic then on a different HD with Windows 7.

I don't use Yahoo and I'm wondering if that's the problem for some folks.

Likely it's Yahoo, but it never crashes Chrome.

I'm also on Linux 64 bit OS so that might be a factor also with FF and Y!M, but like I said, Chrome is solid and not that much different than FF 5 and 6.

bchandler
09-03-2011, 19:08
I do like chrome but adblock and noscript are simply programs I cannot live without.

ldmtulsa
09-04-2011, 08:48
no issues for me.

bchandler
09-04-2011, 13:09
Rolled back to 4.0.1 and it seems a lot faster.

Highspeedlane
09-04-2011, 14:06
Yep, it's freezing. For me the problem occurs if I right click an image and select to view properties of the image. Locks the browser right up.

Think I'll do what someone suggested above and do an uninstall/clean reinstall (got mine through it's online upgrade feature).

We'll see if that does anything.

Highspeedlane
09-04-2011, 14:33
Working now.

First uninstall I saved personal settings and add-ons, but that didn't work.

Second uninstall I did a complete uninstall and the freezing problem I experienced with viewing image properties cleared up. I was running one add-on (Download Helper). Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Will have to see as I go along.

ArtCrafter
09-04-2011, 14:41
I upgraded from Firefox 5 to 6 using the 'Check for updates' tool. Soon after, I started having the freezing problem.

I did a FULL uninstall, including all extensions and plugins. After reinstalling everything from fresh downloads, I initially thought this solved the problem, but it soon cropped up again.

Now, I am trying out Google Chrome. It seems OK, but I haven't yet figured out good methods (or apps/extensions) for selectively deleting cookies and LSOs on the fly. Any suggestions?

TIA :wavey:

RMD
09-04-2011, 17:13
No issues here. Good idea disabling add-ons when you have problems.

GIockGuy24
09-04-2011, 18:00
As of today there is a Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 update.

http://majorgeeks.com/Mozilla_Firefox_6.0.2_Final_d5905.html

Highspeedlane
09-04-2011, 19:12
As of today there is a Mozilla Firefox 6.0.2 update.

http://majorgeeks.com/Mozilla_Firefox_6.0.2_Final_d5905.html

Just updated. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully that's the fix.

GIockGuy24
09-04-2011, 19:57
I'm not sure but I think the update may only address the certification allowing certain websites. There may be more to it though.

Never Nervous
09-05-2011, 01:30
Working now.

First uninstall I saved personal settings and add-ons, but that didn't work.

Second uninstall I did a complete uninstall and the freezing problem I experienced with viewing image properties cleared up. I was running one add-on (Download Helper). Not sure if that had anything to do with it. Will have to see as I go along.

That was the problem I was having. After the 2nd install good to go.

NN

NEOH212
09-05-2011, 04:27
6.0.1 is working fine for me ...

Me too! No problems to report here!

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 06:06
Firefox cannot be "rolled back" persay. FF removes its older versions when you upgrade it; unlike IE. No need to do a restore either. Go to www.filehippo.com and select FF. All the versions are listed on the right. 3.6.21 is the latest STABLE version. All others are betas or modified flavors that have issues.

Also, 4.0 and up are intended for 64 bit processors. The java plugin freezes and becomes unstable on 32 bit platforms. Hyperlinks in popups are unclickable due to this issue. The plugin can be modified to make it freeze less but it requires editing the code. That is why you have different experiences posted above. Remove your version and get 3.6.21 from filehippo. I use it daily and download it to pc's on our network no less than 20-30 times a day. No extras attached. Filehippo is a remarkable site.

Good luck, any questions, post it here. I am an Admin on our network so I am free to lurk here all day.

Generalcarry
09-06-2011, 14:16
FF 6 locked up the Windows 7 64bit but works just great on XP.

Detectorist
09-06-2011, 14:40
Also, 4.0 and up are intended for 64 bit processors. The java plugin freezes and becomes unstable on 32 bit platforms. Hyperlinks in popups are unclickable due to this issue. The plugin can be modified to make it freeze less but it requires editing the code. That is why you have different experiences posted above. Remove your version and get 3.6.21 from filehippo. I use it daily and download it to pc's on our network no less than 20-30 times a day. No extras attached. Filehippo is a remarkable site.

Good luck, any questions, post it here. I am an Admin on our network so I am free to lurk here all day.[/QUOTE]

I've used ver 5 and 6 on my '32' bit platform without any issues. So I don't really know what you are talking about. It hasn't asked me for a Java plugin yet.

ArtCrafter
09-06-2011, 16:46
I do like chrome but adblock and noscript are simply programs I cannot live without.

AdBlock Plus (beta) (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?hl=en-US&hc=search&hcp=main) is available for Google Chrome. I am running it, and no problems so far.

NoScript isn't, but another extension called NotScripts (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn?hl=en-US&hc=search&hcp=main) appears to do about the same thing. I did not use NoScript, so I have not tried NotScripts.

HTH :wavey:

Glock 1
09-06-2011, 18:25
It is intended for 64 bit. Not just meant for 64 bit. It will run on all systems. The java plugin is not an issue unless you are running java on a particular web page, mostly games but not limited to them. Hyperlinks in "new windows" rather than the same window are usually dead. Google it, I'm not blowing smoke. I do this every day. ;)

bchandler
09-07-2011, 18:25
It is intended for 64 bit. Not just meant for 64 bit. It will run on all systems. The java plugin is not an issue unless you are running java on a particular web page, mostly games but not limited to them. Hyperlinks in "new windows" rather than the same window are usually dead. Google it, I'm not blowing smoke. I do this every day. ;)

So if I have a 64 bit system, would it still be better to go with 3.6 (the latest stable version you mentioned)? Or will one of the later versions be quicker with 64 bit?

Glock 1
09-07-2011, 19:17
Try the latest and greatest first. What I do at work when a user needs it I will install the latest (7 beta 4) and if it doesn't work I go backwards by version (6,5,4) until I find one that works. Then I install the latest version of that version. Like if 6 works, install 6.4 or whatever is the latest.

Like 3.6.23 came out today and that is what I run on my XP systems at work. Howwver, my 7 system at home runs version 7 beta 4 now.

Go with the newest version you can and still retain functionality.

Glock 1
09-07-2011, 19:20
If speed is an issue make sure you disable all the downloaded toolbars and BHO's (browser helper objects) reset all your browser settings back to their original settings. Nine times out of 10, its not the browser but what you have added on to it.

bchandler
09-12-2011, 22:22
Well crap, it is still freezing. At least once per hour the whole browser will freeze, say "not responding" in the title bar, and "white out" the viewing area for about 10 seconds.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled every way you could think of, and tried to run my previous stable version. I also uninstalled all the plug ins and extensions. This didn't happen before upgrading to 6.0. :(

Glock 1
09-13-2011, 06:29
Uninstall it and install 3.6.22. Let me know how that works.

Glock 1
09-13-2011, 09:36
Also, what version of Java are you running?