Selling Personal firearms (Florida) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selling Personal firearms (Florida)

krathis
09-03-2011, 20:23
I know it's blasphemy...but I a few personal handguns I'd like to sell, and was wondering how yall go about it (face to face, or through dealer). The concern is selling to to some knucklehead who may do something stupid with it, which could come back on me (i.e. goes home and double-taps the old lady, then press finds out he bought it from a leo...) I'm sure I could run the guy who would be buying it, but not sure I want to go there. Anyone else have this concern or think I'm nuts?

hoven88
09-03-2011, 20:29
Why not just sell to someone with a carry permit?

OXCOPS
09-03-2011, 20:35
At the very least, do a bill of sale with the buyers name, address, phone, DOB and DL number.

Make sure the paper trail doesn't stop with you.

I know some will say getting the above info is overkill, but that's my rules for selling. You don't like it? I'll sell it to someone who does.

finz50
09-03-2011, 21:03
+1 on the bill of sale. Here is the one I use:

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

glock75
09-03-2011, 21:59
I have traded/sold at gun shows (not as an exhibitor) and sold to people I know. In cases of selling to an individual, I have always given them a bill of sale and kept a copy for myself.

Of course in doing do I have limited my market area and price range. There are several online auctions available, gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com and auctionarms.com (NRA). They have the rules for transferring ownership and shipping.

Another option is local papers and sales circulars. The downside of this is you are going to have a face to face meeting and you don't know anything about that person. Is he a criminal, someone that is going to rip you off and possible more; or is he/she an honest law abiding citizen looking for a legitimate deal. So going this route, you need to think about options or alternatives that give you a level of comfort and security.

As far as Federal law, you are able to sell to individuals. However, you should check you local and state laws as to any restrictions such as minimum age or any other similiar limitation.

Patchman
09-04-2011, 04:24
I'd feel most comfortable selling it to a dealer. But even if you don't, I get a bill of sale/documentation with as much ID information as possible. And keep it for your records.

RussP
09-04-2011, 10:12
At the very least, do a bill of sale with the buyers name, address, phone, DOB and DL number.

Make sure the paper trail doesn't stop with you.

I know some will say getting the above info is overkill, but that's my rules for selling. You don't like it? I'll sell it to someone who does.Amen!!!!

krathis
09-04-2011, 16:57
Thanks for the advice...I had already planned on the bill of sale w/ ID, it seems to be enough for the average joe, but I was curious of the expection is higher for a leo. I hadn't thought of the CCW angle. That may be the best way to go.
Thanks!

OXCOPS
09-05-2011, 00:26
Using a restricted LE database for personal reasons (as noble as they may be), can land you in hot water.