XS Big Dot Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS Big Dot Sights

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 06:56
Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the XS Big Dot Sights. With ageing eyes I am starting to have problems with getting a good clear sight picture. These look to be a viable option.

6StringGeek
09-04-2011, 07:01
:popcorn: This emoticon indicates that I am interested in future responses to this thread.

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 07:59
:popcorn:
If you think that this is not a valid question and you have nothing useful to say, Why make any comment at all?

RYT 2BER
09-04-2011, 08:02
If you think that this is not a valid question and you have nothing useful to say, Why make any comment at all?

Try DECAF, the popcorn means the person is also interested in hearing the answers to the question.. jeez... what the hell is it with people? After 600 posts you should know that.

Darkangel1846
09-04-2011, 08:04
I've looked at them but never used one but here is a site with some comments

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=company&cID=Company%20Info&pID=company&sID=news

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 08:06
Try DECAF, the popcorn means the person is also interested in hearing the answers to the question.. jeez... what the hell is it with people? After 600 posts you should know that.

Actually I don't believe that is what the popcorn emocon means at all. It is a sarcastic statement meaning the person posting it thinks that he or she has seen this same question many times and is expecting a fight to start over the responses.

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 08:07
I've looked at them but never used one but here is a site with some comments

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=company&cID=Company%20Info&pID=company&sID=news

Thank you, for the on topic response.

6StringGeek
09-04-2011, 08:09
Actually I don't believe that is what the popcorn emocon means at all. It is a sarcastic statement meaning the person posting it thinks that he or she has seen this same question many times and is expecting a fight to start over the responses.

Actually, it's because I am interested in hearing the answer also. Was thinking about getting some as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Next time I'll put "tagged" when I need to mark a thread for future reference.

Bruce M
09-04-2011, 08:13
I also have aging eyes and I have a set of the Big Dots on a G26. They work well for me; however the TruGlo TFOs are a bit easier for my eyes to pick up in many conditions. I have had no issues with the TFOs however some have and suggest they may not be as strong. I don't think I have ever read of anyone have a failure with the Big Dots.

randyc74
09-04-2011, 08:16
I have a set on my edc Glock 27. I have aging eyes myself and the Big Dots provide me with a bit faster target acquisition.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/BulldogCustomGunLeather/Mikew-G27.jpg

ron59
09-04-2011, 08:19
They're fine, great maybe, for a carry weapon..... where you probably only shoot out to 10 yards.

You start getting out past 15 yards, you might as well have no sights at all. I shoot 2 USPSA and 1 IDPA match a month, can't say I see anyone use them there.

randyc74
09-04-2011, 08:35
They're fine, great maybe, for a carry weapon..... where you probably only shoot out to 10 yards.

You start getting out past 15 yards, you might as well have no sights at all. I shoot 2 USPSA and 1 IDPA match a month, can't say I see anyone use them there.

Good point Ron. I only run them on my G27 which is my preferred off duty/ccw pistol. I have stock sites on my other 3 Glocks

Screwdriver
09-04-2011, 08:38
I am also looking at the Big Dots and only care about 10 yards and quick acquisition....for my old eyes.:shocked:

prscustom
09-04-2011, 08:44
So what would be a good set of sights that works for both quick aquisission and food out to 25 yardsish.

righteoushoot
09-04-2011, 08:48
I like them. I have just the front sight on one gun and the front and rear on another. My eyes have also changed in the last few years.

I feel they are easier to pick up quickly for a "Tactical" target aquisition if you are in a hurry, but still have the luxury to align front sight before touch off. (Not that I have done so in other than a controlled setting. :supergrin: )

I feel personally that I lose a little precision when "target" shooting, but probably could improve results if I dedicated more time. However, most will tell you that they are for SD more so than target. :wavey:

jamaicanj
09-04-2011, 08:50
I tried big dot sights on a g23 and found up close under 15 yards pretty quick. Beyond that was pretty dismal for me...though I was not committed to training with the system to see if I could get used to them.

There is a guy on YouTube that makes amazing far shots with bigdots, though that is not representative of the average shooter...just goes to show that they can work out to distance

Edited to add vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

IT0
09-04-2011, 09:07
Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the XS Big Dot Sights. With ageing eyes I am starting to have problems with getting a good clear sight picture. These look to be a viable option.

I have the little dot on my EDC, but my vision still pretty good. However, I shoot with an older crowd who do not share my good fortune in eye sight and the general consensus among them has been that the big dot are great for those with vision issues.

I hope that helps and BTW the XS sights are some of my favorite so far and I have tried a few others.

SCSU74
09-04-2011, 09:26
As many have said it really depends what you are using them for. I have them on all my back-up/ carry guns (G30, G19, S & W 637), my work shotgun (rem 870), patrol rifle (Colt LE6920), But my duty gun (G21) still wears 3 dot trijicons. XS are great sights when using them for what they are designed for, quick target acquisition in short range encounters. If you are looking for a replacement to your range sights there are probably better options, but if you are looking for an excellent sight for your carry gun you'd be hard pressed to do better. Side note all the guys at XS are great to work with, i love going in there to get another set :)

JimBianchi
09-04-2011, 09:32
They are on my three year old G26. The XS took some getting used to. I have had GLOCK factory night site on my G30 for 6+ years and the site picture is not the same for precision shooting.

For fast double taps they can't be beat. My ability to acquire the site in my peripheral vision in low light is much improved.

But a year or so ago I started point shooting at 7m and less. No sites are used, strictly muscle memory and body position.

Regardless of sites, gun or caliber, lethal hits are MUCH faster, especially on multiple targets. I am convert and big fan of point shooting.

The XS site does allow for much faster, more accurate low-light-to-no-light and 15m and beyond hits and for that purpose alone, I recommend them.

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 10:01
Thank you for all the responses, What I have is a new Gen 4 G27 with factory Glock night sights. I was thanking of moving the night sights over to my Gen 3 G35. The nights sights on it are getting pretty weak. I will be using the G27 for EDC primarly for defense and the XS Big Dot Sights looked to be perfect for that. The stock G35 is used mainly for GSSF matches and bed side w/light.

R*E
09-04-2011, 10:13

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 10:19

I shoot with some fellows who are a little further down life's road than I am. They shoot very well with big dots. I put them on my G19, and they are staying.

A month or so ago I competed with my XS Big Dots against my former SWAT officer brother. He always edges me out on pistol, and I shoot carbine better than him.

His G19: Gen 4 with Mepro-Light three-dots, tungsten guide rod, "-" connector, and Cold Bore Custom grip reduction.

My G19: Gen 3 with XS Big Dots, standard RSA, and "-" connector, and Cold Bore Custom grip reduction.

We were drawing from retention holsters, shooting at a 6-flag dueling tree, with 4 X 5" flags at 30 feet.

I cleaned his clock repeatedly. For the first time in my life, I outshot my brother, and I was using XS sights.

I have no trouble rapidly engage 8" plates out to 25 yards with them.

They ain't bullseye sights for sure, but for the kind of defensive combat shooting that really matters, I don't think you can do better.

vetmedglock30
09-04-2011, 10:20
I had them on my 26.. I could not shoot well past seven yards. I took them off. They are good for a close in Flash sight picture. I hope you have better luck.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 10:22

If you don't know what the popcorn emoticon means, why make any comment at all?

FYI it's means: I am interested in this, and standing by for replies to see what I can learn.

Sometimes, it means I am expecting a flame-war over this post, but that hardly seems likely in this case.

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 10:24
If you don't know what the popcorn emoticon means, why make any comment at all?

FYI it's means: I am interested in this, and standing by for replies to see what I can learn.

OK, I will play your silly game, FYI: Different meaning to the rest of the internet world, On some forums it is consided so rude a comment that it is banned.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 10:27
I had them on my 26.. I could not shoot well past seven yards. I took them off. They are good for a close in Flash sight picture. I hope you have better luck.

Perhaps they become more difficult to use with a shorter sight radius.
They do take a little getting used to. You want the entire round "moon" sitting on top of the post, Not more and not less. You don't bury the front sight and you don't 'float it'.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 10:31
OK, I will play your silly game, FYI: Different meaning to the rest of the internet world, On some forums it is consided so rude a comment that it is banned.

Deleted by me for unnecessary sarcasm.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 10:34
One more point about XS. If it's really low light, you are only going to see the tritium which makes them essentially appear like any other front sight under those conditions.

sciolist
09-04-2011, 10:43
I originally dismissed them as too coarse, but am considering getting a set to play with on my 19/26. Am also thinking I may set up an 870 bbl with them.

As Jim says, closer/faster targets are more a matter of physical index, so the big F/S is kind of moot. I tried a friend's Big Dots on mid-range targets, and was suprised at how feasible it was to get hits with a center hold. Not as bad as I would have thought.

I still think for a match pistol, a fine F/S is best. I am much more confident in my .105 Dawson for a 15-yard Upper A Zone shot, or a 40-yard Lower A, than with the XS sights. Perhaps not a huge consideration for a carry gun.

Another thought is the XS rear does not work as well as some others for belt racking.

Seems like the size and simplicity of XS's Standard Dot might be good for closer midrange targets in diminished light, though.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 11:40
Seems like the size and simplicity of XS's Standard Dot might be good for closer midrange targets in diminished light, though.Yep. The theory of them is that they are more than sufficiently accurate for fast fire past the distance that defensive encounters actually occur. That jibes with my experience of them.

(EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, I missed that you were referring to Standard Dots. My comments apply to BDs, as I have no experience with Standard Dots.)

SouthernBoyVA
09-04-2011, 11:51
So what would be a good set of sights that works for both quick aquisission and food out to 25 yardsish.

XS makes these in small dot versions as well and would do better at greater distances than the larger dot versions. You might look at those. Or perhaps the Warren Tactical sights which allow a lot more light around the front sight post to improve target acquisition.

http://www.skdtac.com/Warren_Tactical_Sight_Tritium_2_Dot_Set_p/wrt.202.htm

Cruiser1
09-04-2011, 12:11
Thank you mods, I just discovered the "ignore member" feature.

maestro pistolero
09-04-2011, 12:27
Didn't mean to offend. My apologies if that 'ignore' comment was directed at me. I hope you found my experiences with XS sights helpful.

SuperSleuth
09-04-2011, 13:16
I had them on my G23. They worked very well for me. I could get good, consistent hits out to 25 yards. Not bullseye quality groups, but every shot inside the 9-ring of a B-27 target.

However, if I get another semi-auto and want to get night sights for it, I would give some serious consideration to the Heinie Ledge with the wide notch and straight-8 dots.

R*E
09-04-2011, 13:26

JTB
09-04-2011, 14:54
I actually just put them on my Kahr P380. They look weird on it because of the size but yesterday was the second time, I shot the Kahr with them and kept all rounds in the 10 ring at 7 yards. Before adding them, I shot better looking groups with 12 gauge at 40 yards compared to the P380 at seven. I also like Heine sights for longer distance.

RMD
09-04-2011, 17:12
I've had them on a G19 and G26 and think they make for excellent carry/SD sights. I'm right handed/left eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open and the big white dot helps a lot.

wuvmyglock
09-04-2011, 17:24
:pms: Popcorn anyone??

RYT 2BER
09-04-2011, 23:16

Good now that you found that feature please use it on me...

Cruiser1
09-05-2011, 06:52
RYT 2BER, consider it done.

RYT 2BER
09-05-2011, 07:47
RYT 2BER, consider it done.

Beautiful ... now I can talk openly about cruisers incessant whining and crybabying and he won't see my posts. I find it hard to believe this guy is an adult :supergrin:

samuse
09-05-2011, 09:05
I tried them (Big and Standard dot) several times and never found them to particularly good for anything.

Aquisition of the front sight is indeed fast, but getting into the proper position relative to the rear sight is slow.

IDPA/USPSA competition shooting requires one to be fast and accurate from contact out to 25-30 yards. The fact that NOBODY successfully uses express sights in those games should be considered a "clue".

1boxer1
09-05-2011, 09:07
I had them on a HK and three dots on my other firearms. When I switched firearms it was akward to remember where to postion the dot at 5YDS verses 25YDS. If you only use XS I think they are fine. Switching between sights on different firearms is difficult.

This was my experience. My eyes are pooping out, so I too, am looking for something better. I have progressive lens and that adds to the problem. Hence my thread about TAS and Advanatage sights:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367387

IF you have any comments on them, please post them on that thread to not hijack this XS Dot thread.

maestro pistolero
09-05-2011, 12:34
I tried them (Big and Standard dot) several times and never found them to particularly good for anything.

Aquisition of the front sight is indeed fast, but getting into the proper position relative to the rear sight is slow.

IDPA/USPSA competition shooting requires one to be fast and accurate from contact out to 25-30 yards. The fact that NOBODY successfully uses express sights in those games should be considered a "clue".

Understood. But 25-30 yards is a LONG way for actual defensive shooting scenarios. Nevertheless I can rapid fire COM hits all day with XS sights out to about 20. Slowing down just a bit, I can hit COM at 50 yards with them.

As one point of reference, there is a fire hydrant across the street from me that I know to be 50 yards away. The Big Dot FS is about the width of the fire hydrant even at that distance. There is no way I am missing a target of that size at that distance.

Picking appropriate sights is always balancing act between fast and precise. Those two factors work against each other. I haven't found anything faster at 0-15 yards. And for me, they are faster than three-dots out to about 30 or so.

Are they as precise as three-dots at that distance? No. Are they precise enough? Absolutely. And precise enough, plus faster, equals "I win the gunfight".

Slightly unrelated, but interesting fact: A friend of mine who is a 20-year veteran sniper Sgt. in a huge urban area has never even had to set up for a shot beyond 60 yards, and usually it's been closer than that. With a RIFLE.

R*E
09-05-2011, 14:30
Beautiful ... now I can talk openly about cruisers incessant whining and crybabying and he won't see my posts. I find it hard to believe this guy is an adult :supergrin:
I wonder if he'll see this if someone quotes it. :popcorn: