Another one new to the obsession [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another one new to the obsession

G30newbee
09-04-2011, 13:40
I've finally decided to go for it. I've got The ABC's of Reloading and have read it several times. I would love a 550, based on what I've read, but the budget won't carry it. I've got the Lee Cast Turret and Pro Powder measure, a Blueberry tumbler and a copy of Lee's Modern Reloading on order. I'm looking at a Lyman beam scale, again because of the budget. If anyone has a really negative opinion of the Lyman scale, please let me know. Some people really don't like the Lee beam scale. I have calipers and micrometers.
I'm going to be reloading 45 auto, maybe 9MM in the future.

After looking at load data until I'm crossed eyed, I came up with this. I'm just trying to cycle the gun (G30) and punch holes in paper, maybe stop an attack from some tin cans.

Berry's Plated 230 gr RN, CCI 300 primers, 6gr Unique, COAL of 1.26.

That looks like its about half way between the Alliant recommendations for LRN and TMJ.

I appreciate all the help I'm going to get from you folks. This is the best forum at Glock Talk for getting really good advice without all the SA stuff that exists on some of the others.

Thanks again.

WiskyT
09-04-2011, 13:54
Many people suggest waitng until more money is saved and then buying a higher volume press. I say the sooner you get started, the better. It's like saying you're going to put off saving for your retirement until your salary goes up. The sooner you get in on it, the better.

Enjoy your turret. If/when you find it isn't fast enough for your needs, buy a 550 etc. The turret will still be on your bench being used for something.

G30newbee
09-04-2011, 14:14
Retirement is here. That's why I have more time than money.

noylj
09-04-2011, 14:18
Start at the starting load. Work UP carefully. Don't assume anything.
Using a couple of sources, start at the LOWEST starting load from the manuals. I would start at 4.7 gn and work up to 6.0 gn.
You're on a tight budget. You don't need to damage your gun or yourself.
Walk before you run.
I could tell you all the reason why I WOULD NOT get a 550 and why I would ONLY consider a Dillon 650 with case feeder or a Hornady L-N-L with or without a case feeder, but my needs and wants may not match yours.
Also, I would NOT buy plated bullets, particularly to start off with. Buy real jacketed bullets to start. The plated bullets, like lead bullets, need a little more care to load without damaging them. If you damage them, you will have inaccurate loads and you may even get leading in your barrel from damaging the very thin plating.
You can buy real jacketed bullets from Montana Gold, Precision Delta, and Zero Bullets for the same price and you'll find they are just that extra bit more accurate.
All I shoot are cast lead bullets or jacketed. In .45 Auto, all I shoot are 200gn L-SWCs.

RustyFN
09-04-2011, 15:36
Many people suggest waitng until more money is saved and then buying a higher volume press. I say the sooner you get started, the better. It's like saying you're going to put off saving for your retirement until your salary goes up. The sooner you get in on it, the better.

Enjoy your turret. If/when you find it isn't fast enough for your needs, buy a 550 etc. The turret will still be on your bench being used for something.

I couldn't agree with that more. If your like me and put it off until you had more money you might never start. I started with the classic turret press and think you will be very happy. It's a very easy press for a beginner to set up and operate. Congrats and welcome to reloading.

DoctaGlockta
09-04-2011, 15:44
Good call on the turret, caliber, and powder to start with. This place is full of good folk who have many years of loading experience. Just don't tell Uncle Bob you are loading lead for your glock, Fred you are using TG, Steve that you think the Lee FCD is useless, and Jack that you want to hire his butler.

Welcome and good luck.

fredj338
09-04-2011, 16:45
Unless you shoot a ton, like 500rds a week +, the turret will do you fine. Unique is a good powder for just about any handgun application. You'll find 6gr under a plated 230grRN about a ball equiv, 825fps or so. Double check that 1.260"OAL works in your mag & bbl OAL may or may not be by the book, but gun & bullet specific.
BTW, don't let the nay sayers get to you. If you want to get a 550B, you will not be sorry. Simple to use & quite fast @ 450rds/hr +.

Beanie-Bean
09-04-2011, 18:19
Congrats, and welcome! I'm relatively new to this section, and to the art of reloading, also. The guys here have been instrumental in my decision to jump in both feet first, and they've helped guide me along the trek with some very helpful advice and information.

I hope that your experience here will be just as good as mine has been over the past several weeks.

Incidentally, I also setup with .45 ACP and 9X19 for my first reload calibers.

jfrey
09-04-2011, 18:23
I'm running 6.0 gr Unique under a 200 gr. Berry's flat nose bullet and it shoots very well in my guns. 6.0 grns. is a pretty standard load. If you are only going to punch paper, the lighter bullets are cheaper by the thousand.

If you are only going to load .45 ACP and 9mm I would not go with the 550 press. I load both on a Square Deal B and it works great, costs less, and comes with the dies included. Many people frown at the SDB but that is nonsense. It is a great press and loads wonderful ammo. I did finally go to one dedicated to .45 and one for 9mm but that isn't necessary if you aren't loading big volumes of ammo. I got 2 presses solely for my convenience. You buy the first one in the caliber you load most and the conversion kit is running about $85.00 or so and takes about 10 minutes to change over. The 550 doesn't come with dies so that is an additional cost to the price of the press. I've loaded on SDB's and a 550 and I wouldn't swap mine for any money.

Once you go to a progressive you won't go back.

fredj338
09-04-2011, 19:32
I'm running 6.0 gr Unique under a 200 gr. Berry's flat nose bullet and it shoots very well in my guns. 6.0 grns. is a pretty standard load. If you are only going to punch paper, the lighter bullets are cheaper by the thousand.

If you are only going to load .45 ACP and 9mm I would not go with the 550 press. I load both on a Square Deal B and it works great, costs less, and comes with the dies included. Many people frown at the SDB but that is nonsense. It is a great press and loads wonderful ammo. I did finally go to one dedicated to .45 and one for 9mm but that isn't necessary if you aren't loading big volumes of ammo. I got 2 presses solely for my convenience. You buy the first one in the caliber you load most and the conversion kit is running about $85.00 or so and takes about 10 minutes to change over. The 550 doesn't come with dies so that is an additional cost to the price of the press. I've loaded on SDB's and a 550 and I wouldn't swap mine for any money.

Once you go to a progressive you won't go back.
FYi, I have loaded 6.2gr of Unique under the Berry's 200grFP @ 1.225", makes about 800fps in a 5" bbl.:wavey:

jfrey
09-04-2011, 22:44
FYi, I have loaded 6.2gr of Unique under the Berry's 200grFP @ 1.225", makes about 800fps in a 5" bbl.:wavey:

You are correct fred. I load some 6.0 and some 6.2 and find both loads shoot well in my 1911's. My G36 won't chamber that bullet though. I use the RN bullets in that gun to get them to feed.

FLSlim
09-05-2011, 08:19
Good advice given, so I just want to say you made the good start by reading and now welcome to the reloading club. You'll find that it adds to the shooting experience.