Windows 7/Black Ops help :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7/Black Ops help :(

Eric2340
09-04-2011, 15:08
Got a new desktop yesterday, somewhat custom built by a local computer repair place, first time I've run a machine w/ Windows 7 on it.

Long story short, can't get it to read a game or music CD (haven't tried a DVD or other computer CD yet as they loaded Win 7 and Norton there for me, all else I just downloaded for my other drivers - printer, PDF, etc., when I got it home).

Trying to load Black Ops for the first time ever, can't seem to get it to read the disc, when I double click the drive once the CD is in it ejects and asks for a CD (????). Tried this last PM after they closed :(, they are closed today and Mon for the holiday :(:(, don't really want to have to wait until Tues for an answer.

I already checked on the Control Panel, auto play is ON and I even played around w/ different settings on that and still nothing. :( ALL else works great on the thing, I KNOW they loaded Norton on it from a CD b/c they gave me the copy of the disc. It has one DVD-RW drive on it.

Any of you computer gurus got any ideas? Never had one I didn't just throw in the disc and it didn't just start running?

Thanks -

kc8ykd
09-04-2011, 15:41
considering it's happening with more than one type of disc, i'd say it's not a disc problem, but one of the drive or it's connector cable (or, remotely, the connector/controller on the motherboard).

i'd call up the guys who made it and explain it's not reading any kind of optical media you put in it and ask they replace the optical drive and it's connector cable.

Eric2340
09-04-2011, 16:31
That's what I was afraid of. :(

The part I can't figure out is how the hell they loaded Norton from the CD then? :(

kc8ykd
09-04-2011, 17:32
Electronic devices fail, at random, and usually when you most need them.. its just one if those things.

Sent from my NookColor

Pierre!
09-04-2011, 18:48
Electronic devices fail, at random, and usually when you most need them.. its just one if those things.

Sent from my NookColor

Yup! Dead Right on this one...

Usually stuff will fail in the first 30 days... after that you usually (YMMV :cool:) run without issues for a loooong time.

They should fix this for you, of course!

Don't worry about it either - it happens to Dell, HP, Lenovo... and everyone else at some time or another!

HTH
Patrick

Eric2340
09-05-2011, 07:57
Yup! Dead Right on this one...

Usually stuff will fail in the first 30 days... after that you usually (YMMV :cool:) run without issues for a loooong time.

They should fix this for you, of course!

Don't worry about it either - it happens to Dell, HP, Lenovo... and everyone else at some time or another!

HTH
Patrick

This is actually a Lenovo they "tweaked" a little for me. Never had one before, hope this is not a harbinger of things to come .......................... :(

pal2511
09-05-2011, 08:24
I'd imagine the optical drive crapped out on you. They should have it replaced fairly quick for you. I have not heard too many bad things about lenova.

Sgt. Schultz
09-06-2011, 09:53

This is why I always tell anyone that buys a new computer to power it up and use it continuously for the length of the return policy, leaving it on 24/7 and frequently cycling the power.

m2hmghb
09-12-2011, 05:25
For now download steam then enter the CD Key for black ops and download it. Skips having to install it from the dvd drive. Most likely the drive is bad.

gemeinschaft
09-12-2011, 06:51
For now download steam then enter the CD Key for black ops and download it. Skips having to install it from the dvd drive. Most likely the drive is bad.

Good advice!