Shelter Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Help

Hick Boy
09-04-2011, 16:06
I am in the process of looking for a disaster shelter. Not just any storm shelter, but one that is more than a simple hole in the ground to go to when a tornado, or other disaster in emanate. I really like some of the larger concrete ones because of their mass and the protection that bring. It needs to be large enough for me, the wife, and two dogs along with our survival supplies. I am wanting something I can make into a NBC shelter if need be.
I would really appreciate any experiences or suggestion that you have in order for me to make the best possible decision.
The one I am leaning towards is one of the larger ones that are in my price range. As a bonus Frank, the owner, seems like he really knows what he is doing. Here are some of the shelter/bunker details: The bunker is 5 ft wide 13 ft long and 7 ft tall with 6 ft of head room inside it comes with a sump well outside of the unit in event ground water would be present at some time after it is covered up. This shelter is available with a DC solar power package and an Ac power and light kit it costs 6500.00 installed
The specs are:
“The shelter has 5000 psi concrete mix design. The top is 6 inches thick with 2 mats of 1/2 inch rebar on 12 inch centers both ways. The floor is 6 inches thick. the walls start at 6 inches wide at the bottom and taper to 3.5 inches at the top.
all sides. the vault has 1/2 inch rebar on 12 inches both ways as well.”-Frank
Please let me know what you guys think because some first hand information is always welcomed. I have no been able to find anything else locally that comes close to this for the price.
I do have an appointment with Tornado Masters of Texas for them to come to the site and let me know what they can do for a shelter.
(It should be noted that I am in no affiliated with the company that makes or installs any of these shelters.)
I will try and add a photo as soon as i can figure out how.

Akita
09-04-2011, 17:03
Have you thought of buying a large (10-14'x10'tall) poly tank and just burying it? These things are made for that and are waterproof, depending on how you construct your entrance.

TangoFoxtrot
09-06-2011, 02:45
Good luck with your project.

bdcochran
09-06-2011, 05:17
I would go with the professionals, especially if a building permit is required and I had no background in construction. Another alternative is to go with the federal underground bomb shelter designs, but use a local, licensed contractor.

When you truly reflect upon it, you don't want two dogs in your underground shelter for more than a few minutes unless you have figured out how to avoid the urine and the poop.

Bilbo Bagins
09-06-2011, 08:23
Have you ever looked at the S&P expert advice forum?

The expert builds bunkers
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192723

Hick Boy
09-08-2011, 15:45
I have thought about poly and fiberglass units. The issue with the fiberglass is that they float in the soil in my area. I talked with two people who had this happen to theirs. The Poly would require too much adding on to in order to be used.

RWBlue
09-08-2011, 16:01
6 feet of headroom is too short for me and many of the people I know.

kirgi08
09-09-2011, 23:16
I have thought about poly and fiberglass units. The issue with the fiberglass is that they float in the soil in my area. I talked with two people who had this happen to theirs. The Poly would require too much adding on to in order to be used.

What do you mean,the water table?.'08. :dunno:

bdcochran
09-10-2011, 05:56
Thank you Bilbo for the link. I bookmarked the same. The commercial website appears to be comprehensive, include the most current products in a number of categories, and most importantly, the prices.

psk1
09-12-2011, 18:04
if you can afford it this is are outstanding and have been in business for 20 years or so. www.earthshelteredhome.com