Survival manuals? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Survival manuals?

cowboy1964
09-04-2011, 16:22
Looking for a comprehensive, small (good for BOBs), survival manual. I have several in electronic (PDF) form on my iPhone but something like this you really need a durable hardcopy. I want it to cover all the outdoor/survival basics: first aid, edible plants, shelter building, knot tying, morse code, flag signaling, the works.

jdavionic
09-04-2011, 16:26
I have an army survival manual and a hiker's book for my state that I keep in a ziplock bag in my BOB. The army manual is just like the ones you see at gun shows, surplus stores, etc. It has a lot of good basics. However I found the need for more location specific info - e.g., edible plants that are native to my area. The army manual is too general in that area and does not include color pics.

ric0123
09-04-2011, 18:14
wallmart of all places had a small orange handbook near their camping stuff. It was cheap and had decent information in it. That's in my bag. Most of the stuff is pretty common information, but worst case you can use the pages as tinder :D

jhall
09-04-2011, 20:19
I have this one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwJ5ohcyuYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not my video, but I couldn't find a link to purchase. It's weatherproof. I keep it in my versipack.

Also have it on PDF, and the bigger print version.

bdcochran
09-04-2011, 22:53
Usually, it would be the old boy scout field handbook.

The largest problem is that when shtf, you need the skills and experience at that moment. Suggest that you get involved with scouting and you will absorb the skills.