Looking for a sd gun for my gf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sd gun for my gf

BigGunSmallArms
09-04-2011, 17:22
I really like the ease of operation of a revolver she's new to shooting. And I want something with decent power yet manageable recoil for her small frame I'm thinking maybe a .38 but not sure. Can some one give me ideas. She will get a considerable amount of practice our family has a shooting range so that's no worry but I want her to have something practical and maybe in the future could be her ccw. Please any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

jbclark187
09-04-2011, 17:25
Hope you are prepared to get about 100 different opinions....

You're just going to have to take her to a range where you can rent a variety of guns and let her "try before she buys"...

Otherwise you run a high percentage chance of getting something that eveyone elses wife loves... but she is uncomfortable with and will not shoot and/or carry.

In this case... the internet cannot give you an answer...

BigGunSmallArms
09-04-2011, 17:41
She's the type that will like any gun she has and I'm not much of a handgun person would love one just don't have much knowledge about them. Just looking for a reliable easy to use gun for her. I think a list of guns that were recommended would
Be better than us going and looking at cataloges with salesmen. I know a lot of gun owners are byist but usually they have good
I formation plus there is no place near us that rents
Firearms. Plus were in ca and that's a hastle in it's own

TH237
09-09-2011, 06:06
I highly recommend, since she is a new shooter, a Smith & Wesson 640 loaded with 38 Special SD rounds.

Mrs.Cicero
09-10-2011, 20:03
Please don't stick her with a revolver. Go to the range, rent several very different guns, and LET HER CHOOSE. I hate revolvers. The grips suck. I carried an HK USPc 9mm for over 10 years. Now I carry and M&P 9mm. I don't like Glock grips. If my husband had chosen my gun, it would have been something much larger than I like, and far less comfortable, and I wouldn't practice. Don't do that to your SO. Let her pick.

Mrs.Cicero

HotRoderX
09-10-2011, 20:08
Have her go to he range and try out different guns. I am a full size man with big hands I can tell ya J-Frame loaded with +p's can be a hand full. Also the J-Frames while great guns take practice and lots of it to become proficient. I think a common misconception is people think I have a gun I am protected. That's the furthest thing from the real truth. The real truth of it is that your now armed you have more responsibility then you did before. That gun is a dangerous hunk of metal unless your practice with it regularly and know how it functions.

michael e
09-10-2011, 20:22
Ther better half has shot almost all of my guns. She likes the beretta the best. Its too large to carry for her but she practices with it. For my carry guns I have made her shot every gun I might carry just so she knows how it feels it something happens and she has to grab mine. I would say find a friend with alot of diffrent handguns or a range that rents them. What I like she might not ,and what she likes you might not.

BigGunSmallArms
09-12-2011, 09:50
Thank you for the suggestions I'm having trouble finding a range around us that rents firearms. And for friends and family seems like everyone is a big dirty hairy fan only big handguns that I really don't enjoy shooting. But I'll keep looking for a place to rent some I've took her to several lgs and just letting her handle some guns seeing what is comfortable for her so hopefully soon I'll have an update with her new piece

Victoriagotagun
09-13-2011, 22:03
I formation plus there is no place near us that rents
Firearms. Plus were in ca and that's a hastle in it's own

Where in CA are you located?

calmolly
09-19-2011, 11:29
Everyone's advice about letting her try different guns and choose what she likes is the best idea. I recently finally decided on a Glock 22 Gen4...I kept getting advice that cuz i have small hands and arthritis I needed a small gun with a little grip. So I went out and bought a Kel Tec .380. I hated it! It was too small and felt like I was going to lose it on the recoil and it would jump out of my hand. During my handgun class I shot a Glock 23 and loved it except again the grip was too short, but big enough around if you know what I mean. Long story short tried alot of different guns, and finally decided. Even then the salesman tried to convince me otherwise, but I stuck to my guns lol and got my Glock 22. Fired 100 rounds this weekend and can't wait to go back to the range. With the arthritis it is easier to hold a bigger grip than smaller.

RyanSBHF
09-22-2011, 18:20
I really like the ease of operation of a revolver she's new to shooting. And I want something with decent power yet manageable recoil for her small frame I'm thinking maybe a .38 but not sure. Can some one give me ideas. She will get a considerable amount of practice our family has a shooting range so that's no worry but I want her to have something practical and maybe in the future could be her ccw. Please any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Take her to a gun shop to try different models out. She needs to find a gun that she is personally comfortable with, not what someone else thinks would work for her.

DWARREN123
09-22-2011, 18:40
Always let the person shoot and handle as many firearms as possible and then let them choose which they want.

Bilbo Bagins
09-23-2011, 12:34
Like others have said let her try out some guns before you decide. What may look good on paper, or what she may like in the gun store is completely different to what she will like to actually shoot. If your are looking for a simple gun that is easy to use for a newbie, the a revolver is a good choice, however a airweight J frame snubbie is NOT the answer. A gun like that my look good , and with stainless and pink grips, women like the looks, but shooting one, especially for a newbie, SUCKS. The recoil is rough, and it is hard for even a good shooter to shoot accurately.

A good option would be something like a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. Very rugged, a little heavy, but that will soak up the recoil. Its a .357 but you can shoot .38 out of it.

The funny thing is I know more guys who have .38 revolvers that their wife or girlfriend initially wanted, but then choose to go with a glock or other Pistol. Personally I like something like the Glock 19 for a new female shooter. Its not too big, not too small, and no safety or anything to mess them up if they need it in a self defense role.

Also don't forget that some new shooter are recoil shy. Always start out with a .22 when you take her to the range for the first time. If they can't shake it don't be discouraged, at least they can shoot a .22.

off road
09-23-2011, 14:53
Some sage advice: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/Puckett/firstgun.pdf

With beginners, I start them out on a .22. When they are proficient with that, then something with a medium to large frame, beginning with some light loads then getting hotter. And...work your way down in frame size. If you get to a point where their comfort level is exceeded, that is where you may have to stop.

For example:
S&W 617
S&W63
Ruger GP100
Ruger SP101
S&W640
S&W642/Ruger LCR
S&W342

In this list, I would be aiming for the practical/light small frame .38's. The LCR is probably most shootable, but a bit bulky for pocket carry. The 642 is a bit more concealable, but doesn't have the nice recoil absorbing grips or trigger pull of the LCR. Nothing wrong with a 640 or SP101 either, if the extra weight helps.

My wife ended up with the 640. Good combination of compactness and concealability, and enough weight to attenuate recoil.

Providence
09-23-2011, 15:01
Everyone's advice about letting her try different guns and choose what she likes is the best idea. I recently finally decided on a Glock 22 Gen4...I kept getting advice that cuz i have small hands and arthritis I needed a small gun with a little grip. So I went out and bought a Kel Tec .380. I hated it! It was too small and felt like I was going to lose it on the recoil and it would jump out of my hand. During my handgun class I shot a Glock 23 and loved it except again the grip was too short, but big enough around if you know what I mean. Long story short tried alot of different guns, and finally decided. Even then the salesman tried to convince me otherwise, but I stuck to my guns lol and got my Glock 22. Fired 100 rounds this weekend and can't wait to go back to the range. With the arthritis it is easier to hold a bigger grip than smaller.We kept renting guns until my wife found what she wanted. She picked a Glock 19 and still loves it. She had some trouble racking the slide, so she practiced until she had confidence doing that. It took about a week.

BabyblueG26
09-28-2011, 01:59
I am very new to the whole shooting experience myself. I have just applied for my CCW. I asked for suggestions just as you are now, took it all in and with the knowledge that I accumulated, I began my own research. My husband was extremely supportive, and smart enough to know that I needed to decide for myself. I knew immediately that I did not care for revolvers at all. My research created a major interest in Glocks. My husband took me to several stores and I tried several on for size and fit. I also have small hands. Ultimately, I chose the 4th Generation Glock 26. It fits like it was made for me. I purchased the finger extension magazines. This gun is dead on accurate and extremely dependable. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Absolutely perfect and perfect for CC. I will keep this gun forever but plan to add a 4th Generation Glock 27 to my collection very soon. I HIGHLY recommend she try the 26 on for size!! (BIG SMILES!!!)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rabump199
10-06-2011, 19:55
Have her try different ones if possible. My wife swore she wanted a .380 until she fired it. Due to it's size and blow back design she hated it. I had her try my G22 she got use to the recoil and then she settled into a G17. For giggles she shoots my S&W 6" .357 with hot loads every now and then and she just laughs when the hammer drops and you feel the blast.

gemeinschaft
10-07-2011, 22:17
Here is a video that I made concerning this subject.

Women and Gun Shopping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZXmrriykE)

PATRICE
10-08-2011, 07:26

Angry Fist
10-08-2011, 07:38
My wife is not too serious of a shooter. She will shoot most any firearm, and it's not a big deal to her. When she shot my buddy's 1911 a while back, she got this look on her face...big sneering grin and an "Ohhh yeah!" Some 1911's may be out of price range, and be more complicated than a Glock-type pistol or revolver, but women can handle it.

BUG'S
10-08-2011, 11:06
Please don't stick her with a revolver. Go to the range, rent several very different guns, and LET HER CHOOSE. I hate revolvers. The grips suck. I carried an HK USPc 9mm for over 10 years. Now I carry and M&P 9mm. I don't like Glock grips. If my husband had chosen my gun, it would have been something much larger than I like, and far less comfortable, and I wouldn't practice. Don't do that to your SO. Let her pick.

Mrs.Cicero

Good Advice. My wife is 5'2" and 115 pounds soaking wet. Small frame & small hands. I let her shoot a lot of different guns but hand size came into play with regards to reaching controls, grip etc. She likes the feel and trigger of a 1911 (I think I spoiled her) and she picked out her gun. She settled on a Kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm. She shoots it very well and took to it because SHE PICKED IT. Now she wants a 45; I think icreated a monster. :supergrin:

gemeinschaft
10-08-2011, 19:23
Hhmmm...interesting--Patrice

P.S. Don't you have a sister called Gestellshaft???

LOL... To be honest, I picked my screen name at random by opening up a Dictionary and pointing.

Gemeinschaft was the word that my finger landed on and since it was not common or what I saw to be in any way offensive, I decided to use it as a screen name.

Good call on the Gestellshaft... Most people have no concept of what either terms mean.

PATRICE
10-08-2011, 23:57

PATRICE
10-09-2011, 00:01

Lone_Wolfe
10-11-2011, 06:00
Hhmmm....I think it's a nice screen-name.

My preference is for full size pistols/revolvers, especially 10mm or .357 magnum---but, then I don't carry a firearm when away from the property.--Patrice

P.S. I shouldn't get too much credit...the correct spelling is "gesellschaft."

Hiya Patrice! :wavey: LTNS. :wavey:

user
10-11-2011, 07:18
Agree with OP's original assessment - a .38 special revolver is always the best choice for most ladies - anything smaller and she's likely to make the attackers angry; anything bigger and there's too much flash/bang/recoil. A revolver can be small enough to pack around even while jogging, such as the S&W J-frame models. You can get a really good used one fairly cheap. All sorts of grip-stocks are available for 'em so they can be adapted to any hand size and need for comfort. Crimson Trace lasergrips are available for just about any such gun you can think of. And most ladies have insufficient finger-grip strength to "rack the slide" on a semiautomatic properly.

My preference is for the old S&W "bodyguard" models in .38 (649). Stainless is easy to keep clean, the ladies like that.

gemeinschaft
10-11-2011, 09:53
Agree with OP's original assessment - a .38 special revolver is always the best choice for most ladies - anything smaller and she's likely to make the attackers angry; anything bigger and there's too much flash/bang/recoil. A revolver can be small enough to pack around even while jogging, such as the S&W J-frame models. You can get a really good used one fairly cheap. All sorts of grip-stocks are available for 'em so they can be adapted to any hand size and need for comfort. Crimson Trace lasergrips are available for just about any such gun you can think of. And most ladies have insufficient finger-grip strength to "rack the slide" on a semiautomatic properly.

My preference is for the old S&W "bodyguard" models in .38 (649). Stainless is easy to keep clean, the ladies like that.

Not only do I disagree with most of your generalizations and assumptions about women and their ability to manipulate pistols, I think it is generally poor advice to give an endorsement to Crimson Trace or any other kind of laser sight.

Lasers run on batteries. That right there alone should be enough to completely dismiss them.

However, if the fact that they run on batteries is not enough to convince you, I would suggest taking some targets dressed in a variety of T-shirts in an outdoor environment and seeing how well it works out for you.

Ever try to find a laser dot at high noon hiding on a Hawaiian Shirt? From the advice above, I would venture to guess the answer is no.

From experience I would tell you that you need to advise anyone who is looking for a self-defense pistol to find something that works for them in the dark, bright sunny day, in the rain or fresh out of bed without having to make any adjustments, turn on any battery operated devices, etc...

1. Front sight
2. Press the trigger
3. Repeat until they are no longer a threat

If you step away from the above steps, you are asking for Mr. Murphy to impose his law on you and you are guaranteed to have a bad experience.

The comments about "Most women have insufficient finger-grip strength to rack the slide" are in my opinion one of the reasons that many women do not want to be around guys and guns.

All I am asking is that you turn down your level of testosterone a little bit (as it seems to cloud your perspective) and get some experience teaching women how to shoot.

Out of the many women that I have taught to shoot, the only ones that I found had major issues with slide manipulations were due to medical limitations such as severe arthritis or paralysis.

Something else I would note is that female students tend to learn much faster than men - It probably has something to do with the fact that men might go get training, but they don't listen because apparently they already know it all.

Anyone who has had large numbers of students can probably relate to exactly what I mean :rofl::rofl:

PATRICE
10-11-2011, 18:36

PATRICE
10-11-2011, 18:44

PATRICE
10-11-2011, 18:46

Lone_Wolfe
10-11-2011, 18:59
Hello, Wolfe....still in the sandbox?? Yeah, I made a resolution to play more exclusively on the other side of the fence (such as it is---that fence is a porous as our national borders)...but, sometimes I can't help but engage. Haven't seen any posts lately by Sawgrass.--Patrice

:wavey: Yep, still snorting dust. :yuck:

Other side of the fence? You mean over in the gun forums? That would explain why I haven't seen you. :embarassed: Tell BAC I said hello, would you?

sawgrass took some time off, but has been back for a few days now.

MB-G26
10-15-2011, 04:41
1. Front sight
2. Press the trigger
3. Repeat until they are no longer a threat

The above, for what my viewpoint may be worth, is exactly WHY I am not a 1911 gal.... do NOT give me something I have to 'do stuff' to in a panic, emergency situation - we do not have available places to train, practice, up here, nor do we seem to be able to find the time to drive 1.5 hrs. south to rent range space. Bottom line, I figure, for ME......... if I have to kill somebody it's gonna be a close, gut-shot, and I'm gonna fully empty whatever it is I'm shooting......... please, PLEASE do not give me ANYthing with bells, whistles, levers, external safeties, secret codes, passwords, (ok, ok lol ) but you see what I mean -

If one looks at it from the "you will default to your level of training" phrase/advise, THIS one will be sticking w/my G26 and/or my silly old 1970's .38 Dect Spec wheely gun with +Ps, into some BG's gut, and that likely as good as it gonna get in the likely, real-case scenario .......... (unless I happen to also be carrying a sword around with me, in which case the BG might just also loose a limb when I run out of loaded rounds :) )

But, I'm going to guess some may get my point.......where ever it was.......before it got lost........

Boxerglocker
10-15-2011, 23:35
My Girlfriend, went through shooting each pistol I owned. Then through wheeling and dealing we bought and sold the following... Ruger LCR then KT PF9 (hated the double action triggers) decided she really wanted a subcompact auto so we went through the XD9 and S&W MP9 subcompacts before she settled on the 4th Gen G26. She actually uses the medium back strap as her fingers are long and it places it correctly on the trigger.

team9x19
10-23-2011, 21:09
not to bump an old thread .. but it's all about shot placement. i have the same dilemma for my lady .. she was going to be carrying my 642; however, that things can be a pain for me to get good placement compared to my glocks -- i'm about 6'1" and 200 lbs. she's 5'1" and about 118 lbs. so far she likes the feel of the glock 26 which i certainly wouldn't complain if that's what she got :whistling:

LilWolfess
10-27-2011, 20:11
Agree with OP's original assessment - a .38 special revolver is always the best choice for most ladies - anything smaller and she's likely to make the attackers angry; anything bigger and there's too much flash/bang/recoil.

No. .38 Special is NOT ALWAYS the best choice for most ladies. I'm going to assume that you aren't really that familiar with women.

A revolver can be small enough to pack around even while jogging, such as the S&W J-frame models. You can get a really good used one fairly cheap. All sorts of grip-stocks are available for 'em so they can be adapted to any hand size and need for comfort. Crimson Trace lasergrips are available for just about any such gun you can think of.Guess what? You're wrong again. NOT VERY MANY women shoot one of those guns twice. I shot a J-frame, and am not that afraid of recoil, AND HATED IT. J-frames don't require much hand strength to load or "put one in the chamber" but I find it fairly hard to believe that anyone with weaker hands or arthritis could fire a J-frame type revolver. The trigger pull is ridiculously heavy.

And most ladies have insufficient finger-grip strength to "rack the slide" on a semiautomatic properly.You're very very wrong here too. I hope no one takes your advice seriously in this case. That or you need to get to know a few more real women. Honestly, if a woman doesn't have the "finger-grip strength" to rack the slide on a semi-auto, there's no way in all of existance that they could also pull a heavy double action trigger.

My preference is for the old S&W "bodyguard" models in .38 (649). Stainless is easy to keep clean, the ladies like that.That is YOUR preference. Just because you like it, doesn't mean that the ladies will like it. Given, I don't know many ladies that don't like stainless. This might be the only part of your post that has any validity.

- LilWolfess, a real woman.

edgreywolf
10-29-2011, 17:54
lilwolfess,

thanks for the ladies perspective....:yourock:

now if only the self-proclaimed experts would actually listen to a woman (when they actually say something as direct as this.... :director:

maybe they would actually learn more about how ladies really think and feel about handguns, and not what they want ladies to think....

now if only ladies and wives would say something as direct, with everything else in life, us guys might have a chance..... as if thats gonna happen :rofl: they just have to keep us guessing.....

seems most all the ladies that have sounded off dont like the "best for them revolver" hmmmm

imagine that :)

Edward