100 #s of linotype [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 100 #s of linotype

xdmikey
09-04-2011, 19:41
what do i mix it with?
i went to my reloading shop and almost bought the pot and everything else needed but decided to wait until i can find a steady supply of wheel weights.
any recommendations as far as what kind of melting pot and other supplies i will need?
tia

VN350X10
09-04-2011, 19:50
watch out for new wheelweights, a lot are now made of zinc.
I believe that the EPA has finally managed to eliminate lead wheelweights, or are working hard at it.
Others here might have more info.

uncle albert

xdmikey
09-04-2011, 20:09
there's a place in south houston(i'm in north houston) that sells bulk lead(recommended by reloading store)so i'll probably try there but i'm looking for a mixture using the lino i inherited. i've always heard about how great lino is for casting.

fredj338
09-04-2011, 22:34
Lino makes beautiful bullets, but it is really too hard & expensive for plinking bullets. You can cut it 50/50 w/ pure lead & get a nice alloy that is useable for all handgun needs. It is close to Lyman #2, a bit softer, but close enough. Add 4oz of tin or 95/5 solder & you have Lyman #2. If you can get clip ww, it's about perfect by itself for most handgun needs. A 7/3 lead/lino gives you pretty close to clip ww.
The problem going forward, states are banning them & the companies that make ww are not going to make diff alloys. So going forward you will see more zinc instead fo lead & what we used to get for free hauling away, we have to pay for & the % of lead ww left is smaller every month. If you can find a cheap source, casting is a great hobby unto itself, but if I have to pay much mor ethan $1.50/# for alloy, I am just not casting my plinking bullets.