Dove Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting

EL_NinO619
09-04-2011, 23:52
For the first time in my life i went hunting. I'm sure you guys already have figured out I'm a city slicker from Cali, Maybe just a 10 day waiting period from being a Lib...NOT. But anyways I did not grow up around guns let alone hunting. For awhile now a guy from work I shot with has been wanting me to go with him. He is a pretty avid hunter and just a good ol Old Timer like Jack. Ive never wanted to hunt and thought all hunter where just trophy hunters (Don't blame me I was brain washed by a Lib school system in CA) anyways I have learned over the years as long as you eat the meat and respect nature and its creatures a little hunting for food is better that going to McDonald's. So this week I went to a 10 hour hunters saftey class :wow: That Sucked... Not the class just the hours. I don't know if 10 hours is manditory everywhere or what. Or CA does it to detour potential hunters. And I also went to Fish and Game and got my License. I really learned a lot talking to a Ranger. Well Friday night I'm getting everything ready, my new hunting belt for the Shells, my new Over Under, and getting everything ready for my nephew who I took with me. So where all ready to go. We are meetinig my friend @ 3am so we try to go to bed early but end up staying up late watching youtube videos on Dove hunting and how to prep them to eat. Well 2am I get a call from Him that his Knee is still bothering him and he wont be able to go. One down fall to counting on a old man. Well i was stumped to say the least . Should i go , i have no freakin clue what I'm doing. Will it be safe for just my nephew and me. We decide to go, and I'm I damn glad we did. It was a great experience not only for me but my nephew also. We meet great people and had a lot of time to soak in nature and I got a chance to tell him what I consider to be the important things in life. I hope I did not F up his future to bad:rofl:. The only downside to the day that the Doves where not flying to much but we did bag 5 and had a great time. Just like i learned in my class, it not about the kill its about the memories, and those I Believe are worth more than your limit in dove. Well today I had the fam over and BBQ up a whole bunch of good food Ribs, Chicken and DOVE:supergrin:. It was not bad I have to say. It's not my Favorite, but hey if I'm going to kill I'm going to eat. Sorry for blambing and oh ya to keep on subject i used some of my shot reloads but these where my first ones and they just where not up to Vel and I had some duds. But I moved on to my 7 1/2 Fiocchi and rocked on..

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03055159.jpg

EL_NinO619
09-04-2011, 23:56
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03062112.jpg

The Sun just started to show, and the Weatherby Over under

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03064609.jpg

The Nephew happy as could be.. And he is a damn good shot with the Shotty. When we shot trap he goes 23-25

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03093445.jpg

jarubla
09-05-2011, 00:01
Congrats! I am a bird hunter. Birds are great

-Jay

EL_NinO619
09-05-2011, 00:05
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03064619.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03093423.jpg

My nephew being a fool @ 2 am.. Good form though.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-03032657.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-04160447.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-04160008.jpg

EL_NinO619
09-05-2011, 00:06
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-04160757.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/2011-09-04173508.jpg

PhantomF4E
09-05-2011, 08:32
Dove is good enough by itself but everything is better wrapped in Bacon... Way to go ..

WiskyT
09-05-2011, 11:06
I went pheasant hunting once in NJ on public land. I felt safer responding to mutual aid at the Peppermint Lounge on a Saturday night in August.

I've gone on my own for waterfoul on private land (with permission). I shot one mallard and one wood duck and 5 Canada geese on three trips. They tasted awful, but I did feel like a mountian man with a cheekfull of Skoal waist-deep in a swamp.

I damn near froze to death trying to find a deer in a place that was like a petting zoo. When i got back to my car, I had to shoo all the deer off my car, they were leaning up against it drinking beer and smoking.

I think with the right people, in the right place, it can be fun. I don't blame them, but accomplished hunters keep their lands and skills to themselves. I've even offered to let them take me along to basically use my tag and they change the subject.

GioaJack
09-05-2011, 11:14
Why are you shooting birds that are trapped in plastic bags... doesn't seem very sporting.

Jack

WiskyT
09-05-2011, 11:18
Why are you shooting birds that are trapped in plastic bags... doesn't seem very sporting.

Jack

He didn't. In CA, the warden siezes your bird and makes you wait ten days before you can have it.

PhantomF4E
09-05-2011, 11:46

Jack
In Calif you only get to hold the "evidence bag" for a moment before it is confiscated, pending the outcome of your trial for animal cruelty.

dkf
09-05-2011, 12:33

Jack

Must be a cali thing.:rofl:

EL_NinO619
09-05-2011, 12:54
The birds are in a Bag because they are about to go in the cooler where my food and drinks are. You have to smuggle them out in a chip bag or people may call you a animal killer..lol

WiskyT
09-05-2011, 13:13
Nice food pics BTW. Jack says that sissy flatlanders use jalapenos and real mountain men use habaneros.

PhantomF4E
09-05-2011, 15:32
Nice food pics BTW. Jack says that sissy flatlanders use jalapenos and real mountain men use habaneros.
That's why those mountain men put the outhouses so far from the house. So ya can't hear them screaming the next day :wow:

WiskyT
09-05-2011, 15:38
That's why those mountain men put the outhouses so far from the house. So ya can't hear them screaming the next day :wow:

:rofl: No kidding!

My aunt-in-law was nibbling on one while she ate some sopa de caracol she made. She told me they were too hot and to just put one of those jabaneros in the soup for a few minutes to let it steap like tea. I figured if she could eat them, I could easily put it in the soup. It was unbearable. I ate the soup because it was really good, but I was sweating bullets just form putting a whole chili in the bowl for a couple of minutes.

Davegrave
09-05-2011, 15:39
In Calif you only get to hold the "evidence bag" for a moment before it is confiscated, pending the outcome of your trial for animal cruelty.

:rofl::rofl:

Adjuster
09-05-2011, 15:41
Looks like you guys had a great time. Any future hunts planned yet?

EL_NinO619
09-05-2011, 16:55
Looks like you guys had a great time. Any future hunts planned yet?

Ya I'm going again next Sunday with some other first timer's. Not sure if i want to move up to mammals yet. But I love me some pork ribs so I just might get a pig stamp..:tongueout:

ron59
09-06-2011, 07:25
So this week I went to a 10 hour hunters saftey class :wow: That Sucked... Not the class just the hours. I don't know if 10 hours is manditory everywhere or what. Or CA does it to detour potential hunters.

I live in North Carolina. Yep, in the Deep South where hunting is the OPPOSITE of Cali, it's not looked down on at all. You'd think they'd just hand out licenses here, right? Nope. Went to my required Hunter's Safety course a few years ago. It was 10 hours too. I even seem to think it was two days, but I could be mistaken, it was awhile ago.

And I've still yet to even go hunting.

Zombie Steve
09-06-2011, 08:05
Nice going. Fun to get out in the field and let the dogs loose.

trlcavscout
09-06-2011, 09:47
Good job takeing your nephew! Dove hunting is fun, I usually just make soup out of them though. I have been takeing my son elk, deer, turkey, antelope hunting since he was 7. He is going nuts waiting till he can bag his own.

EL_NinO619
09-07-2011, 17:32
Good job takeing your nephew! Dove hunting is fun, I usually just make soup out of them though. I have been takeing my son elk, deer, turkey, antelope hunting since he was 7. He is going nuts waiting till he can bag his own.

Mind sharing your soup recipe.:tongueout:

Cavalry Doc
09-07-2011, 18:23
Went dove hunting this weekend in drought stricken Texas. I've got 30 white-wings in the fridge anticipating the grill.

I've heard that Cinnamon might be the magic ingredient. I'll do some research........

Previously, Salt, Pepper & Bacon have been pretty good. But I'll keep an open mind.

ursoboostd
09-07-2011, 19:02
Looks fun. Keep it alive out there in Ca.

Tvov
09-07-2011, 19:14
I don't blame them, but accomplished hunters keep their lands and skills to themselves.

I've run directly into that. The last couple years I've asked experienced friends about hunting, and they've always essentially told me to figure it out on my own. I was kinda surprised at the reactions I've gotten, after always hearing about people trying to promote hunting and get new people into it.

unclebob
09-08-2011, 08:55
I've run directly into that. The last couple years I've asked experienced friends about hunting, and they've always essentially told me to figure it out on my own. I was kinda surprised at the reactions I've gotten, after always hearing about people trying to promote hunting and get new people into it.

Maybe they are not as good as friends as you think they are.

PCJim
09-08-2011, 21:25

Maybe they are not as good as friends as you think they are.

You can blame our very liberal legal system for a lot of that... Let's bring suit against anyone for any reason.

Farmers/land owners don't want to run the risk of allowing a person on their land, only to have someone misstep on a corn row, fall face forward and set off their shotty in the direction of their hunting buddy. Who's at fault?, obviously the careless one walking around without his safety engaged. Who loses their land, or at a minimum a good hunk of change defending their originally good intentions......

I used to have rights to go hunting on a HUGE pig farmer's property in SE Virginia. He was a very generous man, well known in the area, and an avid hunter. He stopped letting anyone on his property when he found one Sunday that a few of his pigs had been shot and killed. Again, who loses?, the gracious land owner who was trying to promote and preserve an American tradition.

dougader
09-08-2011, 22:30
Hunting doves can be a fast moving sport at times. A budddy and I went out and knocked 'em silly; the first time. The 2nd time we went out it was slim pickin's. Just before dusk a lone dove comes flying over my buddy and he yells at me to take it. Just then the dove dropped down and twisted around...and I spun and followed it with my 12 gauge... and when it was lined up I fired.

Holy crap. That dove must have been all of 15" away from my muzzle because it decided to take a fast dip right as I pulled the trigger.

I "dusted" that bird. It was shot full of holes; had more holes than mama's pasta strainer. But it was the only dove I got all day. So I took it home, cleaned it, and stuffed it with celery, onion, etc.

It was ridiculous to say the least. As it cooked, all of the cubed celery and onions started coming out of the holes. And when I finally tried to eat it, well, all the bones were broken and it was real hard to separate the meat from the pulverized bones.

My gf at the time just laughed at me... but dang it! I shot that bird and I was going to eat it!