My S&W M&P9 Pro Series often FTF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My S&W M&P9 Pro Series often FTF

svetlio
09-05-2011, 06:42
I have a 1-year old S&W M&P9 Pro Series (bought brand new) and have shot over 5000 rounds through it. What happens very often is that I have FTFire and the primers sometimes have a dent and sometimes not at all. It happens once or twice every 100 rounds and that with various types of ammo. Went to a gunsmith here and he, after inspecting the gun, said that the firing pin looks a bit shorter (or at least is not protruding enough). He advised me to send it back to S&W and ask them to fix it.

I am wondering... - if this is the problem, how come it doesn't fail to fire all the time, but just sometimes.

Any of you had any similar experience or can advise me in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

SG

Linux3
09-05-2011, 12:05
I have not seen this problem but my M&P 9 Pro started failing to extract every once in a while. Seldom but still.
This was after 7000 rounds or so.

I called Smith and they sent me an email with a print out pre-paid shipping label.
Sent the gun back and less than 2 weeks later I had it back with a new extractor, extractor spring and a few more parts replaced.
Smith's customer service is the best. Call them and send it back!

svetlio
09-05-2011, 13:30
Thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RH45
09-06-2011, 18:07
The most common problem, when an M&P fails to fire, is that the tunnel that the striker is in gets full of crud.

The second most common problem is the striker breaks, but, I don't think I've heard of just the tip breaking.

When my striker broke, it was pretty much in the middle. I sent an email to S&W, and they had a new and improved striker in the mail to me the next day.

svetlio
09-06-2011, 23:53
Hi RH45,

Mine is not broken and I clean it regularly so there is no crud inside. I think it is just that some primers (depending on the ammo brand) are harder and my pistol, being a 'pro series'=IPSC finetuned, finds those harder to digest.

A gunsmith here however told me that the firing pin protrudes less than it should, which means that all M&P pins have the same issue (mine is not broken so its not different) - which is what baffles me. I doubt though that S&W don't know what they are doing. So I plan to maybe leave it as it is and use the ammo with which there is no FTF.