Question about flip-top OC spray canisters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about flip-top OC spray canisters

aliasneo07
09-05-2011, 07:48
Didn't know where else to post this.

I realize most cops probably carry "Cop Top" style canisters, but I was hoping some of you had experience with flip-top.

I have a few cans of Fox Labs in flip top configuration. When they were brand new, and I depressed the button WITHOUT lifting the flip top, it would not fire. Which I like. After spraying a can once or twice, that no longer is the case. I can now put my thumb in there and fire it without flipping the cap up first.

Is this by design? Is the top more of a safety from pressing the button, than a true safety? It wouldn't be a big deal if I keep it in its own pocket, but if I have a lighter or something in my pocket with it, i'm scared it will get under the flip-top and fire the can.

Thanks!

Hack
09-05-2011, 07:52
Didn't know where else to post this.

I realize most cops probably carry "Cop Top" style canisters, but I was hoping some of you had experience with flip-top.

I have a few cans of Fox Labs in flip top configuration. When they were brand new, and I depressed the button WITHOUT lifting the flip top, it would not fire. Which I like. After spraying a can once or twice, that no longer is the case. I can now put my thumb in there and fire it without flipping the cap up first.

Is this by design? Is the top more of a safety from pressing the button, than a true safety? It wouldn't be a big deal if I keep it in its own pocket, but if I have a lighter or something in my pocket with it, i'm scared it will get under the flip-top and fire the can.

Thanks!

I carried pepper spray for awhile. I had the flip top that I bought at OMB. It seems like I had the same experience with it.

RVER
09-05-2011, 08:13
What Hack said.

BIGGUNS911
09-05-2011, 08:55
Yes the flip top is to keep you from pushing the button by mistake. If I recall correctly some cans have small plastic tabs that keep the button from being pushed until the tabs are broken. If the first few times you pushed the button with the flap closed the tabs were not broken than the can would not spray. If you than opened the flap and pushed the button and broke the tabs than the can would spray. It takes a little force to break the tabs. It would than spray each time the button was pushed even with the flap down.

aliasneo07
09-05-2011, 09:32
Seems like the little nozzle when pointed up is safe. When I flip the cap up it seems like it moves the nozzle downward and allows firing.

SCSU74
09-05-2011, 11:53
we carry Sabre and the flip top is more a "safety" so nothing hits the button unintentionally. that being said my OC stays in my bag, waste of belt space

collim1
09-05-2011, 12:23
we carry Sabre and the flip top is more a "safety" so nothing hits the button unintentionally. that being said my OC stays in my bag, waste of belt space

I am required to carry mine. IMO it is worthless. I have used it twice and it didn't help me win the fight, just made the transport and booking process more difficult because they were super pissed the whole time.

aliasneo07
09-05-2011, 18:18
I am required to carry mine. IMO it is worthless. I have used it twice and it didn't help me win the fight, just made the transport and booking process more difficult because they were super pissed the whole time.

Yes but for a civilian that can't carry a firearm (Maryland) I would like to have SOMETHING.

SCSU74
09-06-2011, 02:11
why can't you carry a firearm?

Yankee2718
09-08-2011, 01:09

Once I get issued a taser I'm ditching OC.

COLOSHOOTR
09-08-2011, 01:43

It's the opposite for me... Makes the rest of the process harder because I'm super pissed the whole time and my hands and arms feel like they are sun burnt.

We are required to carry it too and I agree that it's worthless. I've only actually seen it end a fight instantly once. That guy dropped down to the ground screaming when he was sprayed by my buddy who had to chase him. The rest still put up a fight and are now harder to get into custody since they are covered in OC. Then everything gets contaminated! I wish I didn't have to carry it because I never use it!

SCSU74
09-08-2011, 10:26
It's the opposite for me... Makes the rest of the process harder because I'm super pissed the whole time and my hands and arms feel like they are sun burnt.

We are required to carry it too and I agree that it's worthless. I've only actually seen it end a fight instantly once. That guy dropped down to the ground screaming when he was sprayed by my buddy who had to chase him. The rest still put up a fight and are now harder to get into custody since they are covered in OC. Then everything gets contaminated! I wish I didn't have to carry it because I never use it!

after going through the training where we get sprayed and have to run and deliver knee strikes, elbow strikes, and then chase down/handcuff somebody i failed to see the point of carrying it :) i have a taser and baton for less lethal. Our dept requires 2 less lethal options so i'm good to go. I do bring OC out if it is a dog call though, works well on them.

ateamer
09-08-2011, 11:38
I've used it and seen it used a few times and it worked well. It can take a couple seconds to take effect, but you aren't supposed to spray it and just stand there in place wondering what to do next. Just like with a gun, shoot and move. I can tell you that OC does great to break up fights, and keeps you from having to chase anyone down or fight with them yourself. Spray it, keep moving, give it a few seconds, then go in and handcuff everyone with little resistance.

ray9898
09-08-2011, 19:53
I have never seen a flip top that prevented the button from being pressed. It was always simply a guard for the button.

pal2511
09-10-2011, 08:14
I've used it and seen it used a few times and it worked well. It can take a couple seconds to take effect, but you aren't supposed to spray it and just stand there in place wondering what to do next. Just like with a gun, shoot and move. I can tell you that OC does great to break up fights, and keeps you from having to chase anyone down or fight with them yourself. Spray it, keep moving, give it a few seconds, then go in and handcuff everyone with little resistance.

Plus it would be a good way to mark everyone fighting.