Microsoft word software question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft word software question

pal2511
09-05-2011, 08:27
I have Microsoft Office 2007. In my reports I have fields that I put peoples name, address and so on in. Then I type my normal narrative. Then I have another document that I put the same thing in such as name, address and so on. Is there a way to make a macro or database to import all the information from one document to the other easily?

I already have a macro template setup for my other files. I know its hard to explain. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Right now I just retype it all but I would like to import it to save some time and IF possible be able to save all the information in a database for future reference. I know I will use the same information more than once in the future :)

Thanks

Pierre!
09-05-2011, 17:19
I have Microsoft Office 2007. In my reports I have fields that I put peoples name, address and so on in. Then I type my normal narrative. Then I have another document that I put the same thing in such as name, address and so on. Is there a way to make a macro or database to import all the information from one document to the other easily?

I already have a macro template setup for my other files. I know its hard to explain. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Right now I just retype it all but I would like to import it to save some time and IF possible be able to save all the information in a database for future reference. I know I will use the same information more than once in the future :)

Thanks

Two forms that do the same thing??? Uhm... Forgive me but I have to ask - WHY?

I am sure there is a procedure or policy about this, but duplicating effort is a budget killer in the long run, not to mention that the information degrades every time it is 'duplicated'...

If there is a chance that you can simply change the name of the file when you save it, then rename the 'Form Name' even that would be better...

Hope that makes sense, but I always have to ask why folks are requested to duplicate infomation into 2 different 'forms' or 'documents'.

*Handle It Once* - THAT is the *best* of the Best Practices!

Feel free to fire back with more detail, and I'll be checking back after dinner... :cool:

Patrick

Ogreon
09-05-2011, 19:05
It's been a while, but if you're wanting to reuse names and addresses you should be able to put them in Access or Excel and then use the mail merge option to enter the info.

pal2511
09-06-2011, 16:17
I am using at least two different forms because they are not all used at once. I only use the 2nd form if I want to pursue charges against someone. The first form is just for information. I would like to keep it in a database that I can personally access later on if i need to contact the person again or if someone else needs to contact them. Since usually most of the people I deal with don't keep a landline its a bit harder to telephone them.

Ogreon
09-06-2011, 20:51
I keep that information in an Excel spreadsheet with the information separated into individual cells (First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code, Phone Number) with each person being a separate line. When I didn't need to send a mailing to every person on the list, I deleted the extraneous lines, saved to a new file, and printed the letter with mail merge pulling the information from the Excel file.

If I was only sending out one letter, I often just opened the Excel file and pasted the information over into the letter. A database file might have been more flexible, but I would have had to learned to use Access. For this simple usage it seemed easier to simply use Excel.