Confidentiality for LEOs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confidentiality for LEOs

nohocop
09-05-2011, 10:37
Have any of you used, or otherwise have an opinion, about this service:

www.privacyforcops.org

I believe this service is tailored to California LEOs but perhaps some of you have views and/or experiences with this?

Trigger Finger
09-05-2011, 14:09
This looks good to me but this is a service that should be provided to LEOs free IMO.

Plus what would if their database was hacked into? Many officers just use a P.O. box Address for everything, this precludes the issue of the Hells Angels or some other group using a pretty girl to get a job in a position to obtain restricted information on officers.

I said Hells Angels cause they actually did this sometime ago in DMV and the City of Los Angeles!!!

Cochese
09-05-2011, 15:35
Neat idea, but you can't hide from everything or everyone wishing to do you harm.

I hope it never happens here, to me and my family, but if it does, we are prepared to act decisively.

Rabbi
09-05-2011, 17:04
In Texas, we can have our names removed from the Tax roles (property tax) which is very detailed in terms of information about your home and financial matters related to that property.

We can also use a LE Station address on our Drivers License. I am not 100% sure how this one works as it is new and I have not gone through it.

blueiron
09-05-2011, 18:25
The law is California specific, so it will not mean anything to others in the other 49 States, but common sense precautions can help.

CALEA and a jackclown of a chief stopped us from using the station as a DL/vehicle registration address, so our labor organization rented another P.O. Box and it is used exclusively for DL/vehicle registrations.

Some officers have set up trusts involving trusted family members and use the trust to register vehicles, purchase properties, engage in certain hobbies/second job like amateur radio/flying/boating or real estate/EMT/other jobs that require public licensure, etc.

P.O. Boxes, no blue line/firearms decals on vehicles, no cop specific clothing, no LE catalogs delivered by mail [USPS employees can access POB records], etc. Get off all the mailing lists, shred everything, and trust no one with your information.

There are specific things for UC officers which I won't discuss here as well. Ask around your agency and other agencies for ways to hide in plain sight.

UrbanOps
09-05-2011, 18:39
How do your tags return on an LP check? Some guys around here have them "restricted" so nothing comes back on the return.

TreverSlyFox
09-06-2011, 02:59
All fine and good, but it also only provides a false sense of security. It does nothing to stop someone from sitting outside the station house when you get off shift from following you home.

Then it's only a matter of time before they know all about you and your families routine. Where your girlfriend/wife works, shops and where your kids go to school and sooner or later you lead them to your extended family and friends.

The lucky part is that it doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen. Your "job" doesn't just put you at risk, it puts your entire family at risk. While you may have "talked" it over with you wife/girlfriend and explained the risks she signed on for. Have you asked your kids if they want to sign on to the risks?

I found out later in life my kids were scared to death of the "jobs" risks even into their teens and it made me realize I never "asked" them.

Hack
09-06-2011, 07:16
For us in Kansas it used to be that any address would suffice, so I used my work address. Now they want it to be the street address of where you live.:upeyes:

FWIW I used to have to be concerned about it while in the US Army, as I did have a clearance.

FiremanMike
09-06-2011, 07:20
How do your tags return on an LP check? Some guys around here have them "restricted" so nothing comes back on the return.

Ohio allows me to have my tags and license come back to the address of the police department. I am certainly not as secure as I could/should be, but I do make an effort.

scottydl
09-06-2011, 07:56
I do what I can, but with the internet and public record access these days... there's only so much you can do to "hide" yourself. Search websites (that I won't list here, as my job is not to make it easier for any mopes reading this) have given criminals 5-second access to most of our lives these days. Be smart and be prepared.

lawman800
09-06-2011, 08:38
In CA, we fill out the DMV confidentiality request for our drivers license and all vehicles under our name, as well as vehicles registered to the same address for spouses.

When the info is run, it comes back "confidential" and shows your name and department information. Although I have seen many variations on the info that comes back, I assume it's just how it's inputted.

It's not automatic though so if you move or add a car or sold a car, you have to fill out a new form each time and it has to be signed by a station supervisor.

So if you run mine, it would come back as:

John Connor
ABC Police Department

One dispatcher had her name, title (mistakenly put down as police officer), and department.

lawman800
09-06-2011, 09:22
By the way, the form is online, and it's available to DA's, coroners, and a while host of other government types, so it's not like I am disclosing some state secret.

FiremanMike
09-06-2011, 09:49
John Connor
ABC Police Department

Lol, awesome choice of name

nikerret
09-06-2011, 10:02
We have a great system in place. Use your own address for absolutely everything. Tags come back to me, DL gives out my home addrress. Anything that can be public record is public record.

To the admin, there is no reason to consider anything else. After all, we're avaialbe to the public for review in every aspect of our lives. Some guys even give out people's SSN's during radio traffic. We have one encrypted channel that is never used; not allowed to.

lawman800
09-06-2011, 10:52
Lol, awesome choice of name

?

That is my name....:crying::dunno::faint::embarassed::cool:

FiremanMike
09-06-2011, 11:25
?

That is my name....:crying::dunno::faint::embarassed::cool:

I have some unfinished business with your mother..

It's cool though, I promise I'm not from the future..

lawman800
09-06-2011, 12:27
You want me to go with you if I want to live?

DaBigBR
09-06-2011, 17:00
What a quaint idea! Of course, I'm in a state that fought a 2+ year court battle to prevent us from having our home addresses listed in court documents when testifying as a witness...and no, I am NOT kidding about that.

(And that decision finally came down and went our way)

Hollywood D
09-06-2011, 18:33
What a quaint idea! Of course, I'm in a state that fought a 2+ year court battle to prevent us from having our home addresses listed in court documents when testifying as a witness...and no, I am NOT kidding about that.

(And that decision finally came down and went our way)

Wow, thats insane.

I google my name frequently to see what pops up. I've been lucky so far...nothing. Which is weird considering I own real estate, I was sure that would show up. Plus I'm not on lame ass facebook either.

lawman800
09-06-2011, 22:22
No face book here either after some less than honorable coworkers tried to burn me on myspace for something that had nothing to do with me.

I am also lucky that my name is pretty common so everyone else comes up instead of me because they are all over the interweb on their social network sites. I take comfort knowing that the T101, T1000, and the TX will get all the other John Connor's first before me.