Prayers are needed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prayers are needed!

TexasFats
09-05-2011, 13:39
Police, fire, and other first responders in Central Texas need your prayers. Wildfires have broken out all over Central Texas. Last night, 4,000 people had to be evacuated from the Steiner Ranch neighborhood in Austin. In Bastrop County, bordering Travis County on the east, about 6,000 people have been evacuated, from a fire that that has burned an area about 4 mile wide and 16 miles long. About 400-500 homes have been destroyed in different fires in the area. There are also fires near Spicewood, Texas, fires have occurred in Cedar Park and Pflugerville. Travis County residents have been told by authorities to be prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice, especially if we live near a park or greenbelt, even urban parks or greenbelts.

The humidity is supposed drop to 15%, and winds are gusting up to 20-25 miles an hour. No rain is forecast for at least the next ten days.

Other parts of Texas are also fighting wildfires. Sadly, a woman and her 18-month old daughter died in East Texas, when they couldn't get out of their house in time.

Pray for the safety of emergency personnel. Pray for relief for them, since they are stretched to the limit and beyond. Pray for Texas to get rain soon. The danger will continue until the Exceptional Drought that covers 81% of the state breaks.

RussP
09-05-2011, 13:54
Prayers...

Cochese
09-05-2011, 14:57
We have a lot of members right in the **** of it, including my good buddy Indigent (FF, medic extrordinaire) and our Austin area LEOs, APD, TXLEAPD, Khar Glockman and a pile of others.

Watch yer asses boys.

:patriot:

Vigilant
09-05-2011, 15:04
Godspeed to all who are involved.

Geko45
09-05-2011, 15:24
My folks place in Bastrop was in danger yesterday, but with some luck and lots of work with buckets and hoses we were able to keep it safe.

Some pics in this thread:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367354

And a few more.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/42dc8206-3d78-7155.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/42dc8206-3d90-945d.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/42dc8206-3da3-8afa.jpg

PuroMexicano
09-05-2011, 15:36
Prayers for a good rain!

Redfire SVT
09-05-2011, 15:46
My grandparents house in Bastrop was destroyed..sad thing. My grandpa was a volunteer firefighter for many years. He passed away a few years ago but it would have destroyed him to see his house go like this. My grandma was on her way back from some relatives house when she got the news from my uncle (also in the Bastrop area, safe however)

Patchman
09-05-2011, 16:49
Prayers for some good soaking rain. And prayers for the FFs and other responders and volunteers.

Hack
09-06-2011, 07:46
I also heard the Fort Hood area is burning a little. Prayers for safety for all involved in all of those areas.

http://www.forthoodpresscenter.com/go/doc/3439/1182367/

Kahr_Glockman
09-06-2011, 09:11
I am good, cant speak for TXLEAPD, or APD. We are on stand-by for any fire out breaks. I live in Cedar Park and my wife had to shut off the weather radio on Sunday afternoon because of the evacuation orders constantly going off. Yesterday there was a major fire in Leander that threatened several of our officers homes. Every fire department in Travis County has been running full blast since early Sunday. Just in case I had my wife pack bags for the kids so they could be ready to leave if it got to that point.

Normally I give firefighters a ration of crap, but they have done some truely amazing things in the last 72 hours. My church is taking donations of Gatorade, Eye Drops, and Saline nose spray for the firefighters in Steiner Ranch.

Bastrop is truely were the worst of it has been. Steiner Ranch is getting a lot of news coverage because of the cost of the homes there. They are all exspensive homes. Not minimizing the suffering of the people there but the true tragedy is what is going on in Bastrop.

The Leander fire yesterday went bad in a few minutes and had the wind not died it would have burned far worse than it did. The verdict, from what I heard yesterday, was that it was an arson. No suspects. Williamson County has placed a ban on any outdoor open flame. We were already in a burn ban, but this is even one step furthur. I have a contact at the Williamson County SO and they have been told that if they see anyone throw a cigarette out the window to issue citations. If they back talk they go to jail.

I have seen brush fires before, but I have never seen anything quite like this. It is like living in a Jerry Bruckhimer film.

TexasFats
09-06-2011, 17:26
I thought that I would give you guys an update. Winds are calm today and that is helping the firefighters. People have been allowed back into the Steiner Ranch neighborhood.

On a sad note, two people have been confirmed dead in the Bastrop Fire. That is in addition to the mother and child who died in another fire in East Texas a few days ago. No names of the Bastrop fatalities have been released.

On another note: The fire in Leander TX, that caused the loss of several homes since it started yesterday is suspicious. The Leander Fire Chief has confirmed that arson is suspected in the Leander fire. Since that is Williamson County, if it was arson and they catch the sicko perp, they will throw the book at him. WilCo doesn't mess around like Travis County.

Also, APD questioned and released a "person of interest" in a few spot fires between MoPac Expressway and 183 just south of Parmer Lane.

@#$% it! We have enough fire trouble without the scum crawling out from under their rocks and starting more!