Which choke tube? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which choke tube?

Buckeye 7x57
09-05-2011, 19:56
If you were going to use a 20 gauge 870 loaded with Federal premium #4 buck for home defense, what choke tube would you guys use. I was thinking modified or improved cylinder.

Ron

clh86
09-05-2011, 20:03
i would use the improved cylinder. actually id pace off some shot distances inside your home and then test chokes at those distances but id say the imp cyl would be best.

method
09-06-2011, 01:06
Either would do, but you gotta pattern the gun with both and see what does best for your needs.

alwaysshootin
09-06-2011, 01:44
I would suggest improved cylinder, or cylinder, for HD. Like said, you will have to pattern for know distance in your abode, and see which gives the pattern your looking for. Modified, at <20 yds is going to be real tight, and destructive.

Booker
09-06-2011, 13:41
Modified, I like a tighter pattern for inside the house. Not too keen on having random pellets or shot going around my intended target.

alwaysshootin
09-06-2011, 18:33
Modified, I like a tighter pattern for inside the house. Not too keen on having random pellets or shot going around my intended target.

So, at 10 to 20 feet, you prefer a 6-8 inch spread, rather than, fill the hallway spread? I guess that's what makes the world go round. Give me the hallway spread!

k594
09-06-2011, 18:52
So, at 10 to 20 feet, you prefer a 6-8 inch spread, rather than, fill the hallway spread? I guess that's what makes the world go round. Give me the hallway spread!

id have to agree.. if im going to discharge my shotgun in the house im going to make damn sure everyone i dont want hit is BEHIND me, so in that case ill take a cylinder bore

Ferdinandd
09-06-2011, 19:40
At 10-20 foot distances, I haven't seen much difference in pattern regardless of choke. I shoot mostly 00 or 1bk. I was working on load development until the spring and backed off diverting my reloading and shooting to other guns. I hope to get back into SG stuff as the weather cools.

I've started to think that a tight choke might actually create a more open pattern at 15+ yards with some loads, based on my limited observations. I need to do a lot more work researching this to confirm what I'm seeing.

Best advice though - pick a load or two and do some patterning with them. Measure the patterns and evaluate the eveness of the pellet distribution. It's great to understand exactly how your gun and ammo will work.

Buffering
09-06-2011, 19:43
Get one of those breecher/non-breecher things that looks like both a deep water gardening tool and pasta maker from Ron Popeil.

If you want to impress aippi that's where I'd start.

alwaysshootin
09-07-2011, 07:15
At 10-20 foot distances, I haven't seen much difference in pattern regardless of choke. I shoot mostly 00 or 1bk. I was working on load development until the spring and backed off diverting my reloading and shooting to other guns. I hope to get back into SG stuff as the weather cools.

If you're rolling your own, try some post wads. They'll open up a pattern nicely. It's been years, but when I'd go pheasant hunting, I'd use a modified barrel, and if we started bouncing bunnies, I'd drop in a reload with a post wad round to open the pattern up so as to not kill, and clean, the rabbit, all in one shot.:supergrin:

method
09-07-2011, 08:49

I've started to think that a tight choke might actually create a more open pattern at 15+ yards with some loads, based on my limited observations. I need to do a lot more work researching this to confirm what I'm seeing.

Best advice though - pick a load or two and do some patterning with them. Measure the patterns and evaluate the eveness of the pellet distribution. It's great to understand exactly how your gun and ammo will work.

Big pellets can become deformed slightly through too tight a choke. That'll give erratic flight and huge patterns.

vafish
09-07-2011, 09:21

At 10-20 feet you aren't going to get "hallway spread" with either choke you will be able to cover the pattern with your hand.

alwaysshootin
09-07-2011, 09:44
At 10-20 feet you aren't going to get "hallway spread" with either choke you will be able to cover the pattern with your hand.

So what you are saying is, at the range of about 7 yards, a cylinder choke, is going to have a less than 6 inch spread?

Z71bill
09-07-2011, 11:04
Want a tight "pattern" use slugs.

How many sheetrock walls will a 20 gauge slug go through anyway? :upeyes:

alwaysshootin
09-07-2011, 11:06
want a tight "pattern" use slugs.

How many sheetrock walls will a 20 gauge slug go through anyway? :upeyes:

all of them!

Booker
09-07-2011, 11:24
id have to agree.. if im going to discharge my shotgun in the house im going to make damn sure everyone i dont want hit is BEHIND me, so in that case ill take a cylinder bore

That's a good plan to have everything you don't want to hit BEHIND you, however, Mr Murphy has this annoying habit of showing up when he's not welcome!

vafish
09-07-2011, 13:07
So what you are saying is, at the range of about 7 yards, a cylinder choke, is going to have a less than 6 inch spread?

If you are always shooting give it a try.

Here is a web site with pattering of various loads at 15 yards.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/patterntest/buck1-1.htm

Note the size of the patterns. Is say they were 8"-10". At half the distance the pattern will ne half that size.

Shotguns being a "room broom" is a myth.

alwaysshootin
09-07-2011, 17:29
I am alwaysshootinsomething! That was a given handle by a close friend!:wavey:

For reasons, shotgun shooting, hasn't happened for years, and most recent shot gunning, was with a slug, and even that's, been more than a couple years. I have found more preferable weapons, for gun season, here in Ohio. But that's another subject.

As far as to the patterning, I can tell you I wasn't talking about 00, or, 000 buck as to what pattern size would be. I'm thinking #4's, and admittedly, the shotgun isn't my HD weapon. When I rabbit hunted, with an improved cylinder, a rabbit shot at less than ten yards, had a pattern more in the "feet" size of pattern. Can't confirm, haven't tested, but would imagine, #4,ir #5's in a cylinder bore would open up more than inches. Everything I have witten in this post, the use of anything other than shot pellets, wasn't even considered.