just about done with my 550b (super annoying problem) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : just about done with my 550b (super annoying problem)

eb1ch
09-05-2011, 21:02
I have an infuriating problem with my 550 I can't seem to solve. it really slows me down and makes reloading a real chore.

about me: been reloading for about 8 months or so. have loaded about 6k rounds since then, and I only load 9mm. the 550 is my first and only press.

the issue: on station 1, after being resized, the brass has often shifted out of position to be primed. see this handy graphic-

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/boom2/casedrift.jpg

this is where I typically find my brass after it has been resized and deprimed.
(I am nearly certain) this is caused by what happens at station 2. (when there is no case in station 2, the newly resized case in station 1 is always in the correct place to be primed) the powder die often sticks to the case being belled out. the resulting violence of lowering the ram causes enough disturbance to shift the case in station 1 out of position to be primed. sometimes it only moves a little and I can do this little double or triple tap technique with the ram that shifts it back into position. However, mostly I have to push it back in with my thumb.

either way it really destroys my rhythm and even more so that it does not happen with every case. it does happen the majority of the time however.

I don't think I am belling the case out too much with the powder die, causing it to stick. in fact, in an attempt to fix this problem I have backed the powder die back about as much as I can, and occasionally cases are belled so little the bullet doesn't stay upright before its seated, and then I have to reset that. there is definitely minimum belling going on.

maybe the powder die itself is out of spec?

this makes me want to get rid of my 550 and get a XL650. (admittedly this is probably what I should have done first, but I don't feel bad following the Enos FAQ and getting the 550 for my first press to learn on)
from the videos I have seen, it appears the 650 primes the resized case in station 2, in which the case is held in place by some sort of spring loaded mechanism, thus making any 'case drift' impossible and securely holding the case in place to be primed. if I am seeing this correctly, it seems the 650 is definitely the superior press, at least as far as priming is concerned.

any other ideas on what is causing this?

Boxerglocker
09-05-2011, 21:08
Try this first.... load all the stations with either already sized cases or dummy rounds and raise the ram. With the ram raised, loosen each dies one at a time and ensuring that the case in fully inserted in the shell plate, tighten the die down again.
This will ensure the die is centered within the threads of the tool head. Otherwise you may have a tool head out of spec. I would also marl the shell plate slots and number them keep track of which slots it happen too should it continue.
The sticky powder die happens as the Dillons neck size and depending on the the brass used tend to stick more of less. Take the dies out give it a good clean and polish with a dremel and flitz... worked wonders with my presses.

eb1ch
09-05-2011, 21:20
interesting.

I have taken the powder die out and polished it, it did nothing.

someone on another forum brought up the paper clip looking thing? how exactly does that work? ( I understand it is supposed to keep tension on the case so its in the correct position to be primed)

unclebob
09-05-2011, 21:30
interesting.

someone on another forum brought up the paper clip looking thing? how exactly does that work? ( I understand it is supposed to keep tension on the case so its in the correct position to be primed)

I would say that is it.Look in your instruction manual on how to adjust it. According to your picture the clip is doing nothing.

eb1ch
09-05-2011, 21:37
that is exactly what the problem was. I actually had no idea what it was for, the whole time I have owned. hilarious.

thanks guys.

unclebob
09-06-2011, 06:43
that is exactly what the problem was. I actually had no idea what it was for, the whole time I have owned. hilarious.

thanks guys.

That is why a lot of us tell people to read the instruction manual that you can down load on line while you are waiting on the press and read it again when you get the press and follow the instructions when you set it up. Even after you have owned the press for 6 months read it again.

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 07:39
interesting.

Sticky die is caused by the expander/funnel not the die. Take the expander/funnel out and polish the transition with some scotch bright or very fine (600grit) wet dry paper (while wet). That will fix the problem.\

Read the instructions and expand per instructions to .015". After you get the hang of things you won't need to measure but for now read the manual (all of it). I would clean the press as well. Especially under the shellplate and the primer slider. You will use the scotchbright pad on the slider as well. You want to polish that thing up as well. It's something you do every time you clean the press as a preventative.

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 08:00
Trade it in on a LNL. (I'm waiting for the race to start. :whistling:)

Jack

unclebob
09-06-2011, 08:05
Trade it in on a LNL. (I'm waiting for the race to start. :whistling:)

Jack

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You standing on your oxygen hose again?

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 08:25
I replaced it with helium... I enjoy talking like Mike Tyson.

Did the rain clear out of Atlanta, are they gonna race this morning?

Jack

meleors
09-06-2011, 11:52
I replaced it with helium... I enjoy talking like Mike Tyson.

Jack

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

RustyFN
09-06-2011, 16:41

thanks guys.

Damn I was just getting ready to offer you $50 fo it. :tongueout: Glad you figured it out.

WiskyT
09-06-2011, 17:10
That is why a lot of us tell people to read the instruction manual that you can down load on line while you are waiting on the press and read it again when you get the press and follow the instructions when you set it up. Even after you have owned the press for 6 months read it again.

I know you're right, but I took one look at the manual for the 650 and decided it was too thick. Fortunately my father had it set right and I haven't had to open it up yet.

unclebob
09-06-2011, 17:38
I know you're right, but I took one look at the manual for the 650 and decided it was too thick. Fortunately my father had it set right and I haven't had to open it up yet.

Yes I realize some people have that problem.:whistling:

WiskyT
09-06-2011, 17:40
Yes I realize some people have that problem.:whistling:

I have PTSD from being forced to read "The Good Earth" in high school. Thick books give me anxiety attacks.

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 17:46
I have PTSD from being forced to read "The Good Earth" in high school. Thick books give me anxiety attacks.

Must be a real bummer for ya when there's no pictures.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 17:47
Think of it as a Comic Book. It does have pictures and the sentences are short.

WiskyT
09-06-2011, 17:49
Must be a real bummer for ya when there's no pictures.

Jack

Even the Cliff's notes were too long. The single worst book ever written. I had to read all of that Charlotte Bronte crap too.

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 17:51
A man who won't read is no better off than a man who can't read.

(Make fun of my kit building and photographic abilities will ya?)

Jack

WiskyT
09-06-2011, 17:56
A man who won't read is no better off than a man who can't read.

(Make fun of my kit building and photographic abilities will ya?)

Jack

I was begining to worry about you.