9/11 Tower Challenge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Tower Challenge

Sam Spade
09-06-2011, 15:43
Something that popped up here in Southern AZ. http://www.aztac.org/documents/September-11_Tower-Run.pdf

"This is a 17 story building with two stairwells. Runners will run, walk,
climb, or crawl from the bottom of the building to the top, six and half
times. This is the equivalent of 110 stories which is equal to the height of
the World Trade Center. Participation is restricted to certified local and
federal law enforcements officers and fire personnel....Due to building restraints the event will be limited to only the first 100 registered participants. Registration is free but all participants are encouraged to obtain pledges and donations which will be donated to The Wounded Warrior Project. The goal is to have each participant raise $100 through pledges or donations."

I'm not involved, but it's a worthy memorial for a worthy cause for anyone down this direction.

FiremanMike
09-06-2011, 17:16
I can tell you I'd MUCH rather do something like this in a duty belt than fire gear..

msu_grad_121
09-06-2011, 17:36
I can tell you I'd MUCH rather do something like this in a duty belt than fire gear..

That's what you fire guys get for all those nights spent eating chili and napping in your La-Z-Boys! :rofl:

Just kiddin, brother.

ClydeG19
09-06-2011, 22:29
I did Phoenix's Chase Tower (38 floors I think) on Sept 11, 2006 when I was in the academy. The class sergeant decided we were going...so I had little say in the matter. ;)

belowdanet3
09-08-2011, 00:46
I'm actually signed up for this. It looks like it could be "fun." Tucson PD SWAT has obtained sponsors to cover all the costs. All money raised or donated will be given directly to the Wounded Warrior Project. This event isn't timed, they just want everyone to finish. I've heard rumors of local FD's doing this in all or partial gear and something about BORTAC doing it in full kit. I'll let you all know how it goes.

larry_minn
09-08-2011, 10:25
I am impressed by anyone who could do this challenge. I used to do multiple buildings every night. One was 15 floors, another 12, the third was only 6, (and a pair of 4 floor ones) I had just a hint over 8lbs gear on belt. (so I locked up 3 lbs of it I knew I would not need. If I didn't do the 15 first I often rode elevator to top and walked down twice.
Glad to hear its not a race. I did the 6 floor as race (to top/down and you must hit every stair, no jumping landings) and by 3rd heat....

I am very glad there are rememberances going on. Last yr we had NOTHING in my area. I set one up myself for Sunday Morning. It may be myself and my wife but there will be something.

belowdanet3
09-11-2011, 17:46
The event went very well. Agencies I observed were: Tucson Police Department, Pima County SD/Regional SWAT team, Border Patrol, CBP, Tucson Airport Authority, South Tucson PD, Sahuarita PD, DEA, ICE/HSI, BATFE, Wilcox PD, Tucson FD and US Marshals. I finished in 35 minutes, 30 seconds. The overall event was well executed and there was a very good showing of first responders and general public.

razdog76
09-11-2011, 18:08

Whatever, with power of SCUBA you would take the elevator.:supergrin: