Sizing .40 bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sizing .40 bullets

09-06-2011, 17:32
I have a Lone Wolf barrel in my 23. When I load jacketed bullets I have no issues. With cast bullets I have an occasional cartridge not quite chamber. Does anyone know if I size my cast bullets down to .400 or even .399 will there be any problems? Thanks.

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 17:48
Yes, they will not work that small. They need to be .401" Perhaps some are not seating straight?

GioaJack
09-06-2011, 17:49
.40 cast should size to .401. first thing to check would be your crimp and your OAL. Pull your barrel and do a drop test, that should answer your question... sizing rarely keeps a round from chambering as long as it's close.

Jack

WiskyT
09-06-2011, 17:54
Take one of the rounds that don't fit in your LWD barrel and see if it fits in your Glock barrel. When you find that it fits, list your LWD barrel on ebay.

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2011, 18:14
For your information you can send the barrel into LW and they will open it up to fit your specific rounds. LW does tend to run pretty tight. Not a lot of room for errors with that barrel as manufactured.

kjm1016
09-06-2011, 19:44
The problem is simple, you are loading the lead bullets too long. I had the same problem. Do the drop in test with your LW barrel as suggested by GioaJack, above. You'll probably only need to load them a few thousandths deeper. Make sure your cases aren't too long as well.

bush pilot
09-06-2011, 20:56
The problem is simple, you are loading the lead bullets too long. I had the same problem. Do the drop in test with your LW barrel as suggested by GioaJack, above. You'll probably only need to load them a few thousandths deeper. Make sure your cases aren't too long as well.

The case length won't be as important as the OAL if that's even the issue.

fredj338
09-07-2011, 08:56

^^This^^ The LW bbls are known for short throats. You have to seat the bullet a bit deeper, not size it down. That will only cause leading & poor accuracy. As always, more info is better: What bullet @ what OAL????