340PD snub and 158 gr. LSWCHP 38 spcl. +P [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 340PD snub and 158 gr. LSWCHP 38 spcl. +P

Glockbuster
09-06-2011, 17:55
Hello Mas:

I just read an old article that you wrote for the magazine American Handgunner back in the year 2000

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_149_24/ai_65910638/

I was shocked when in the article, you pointed out that the ammo-- LSWCHP 158 gr. 38 spcl. +P--was unreliable to you in your 342ti because in the very light revolver the stiff recoil pulled the bullets out of their cases.

I used to carry Federal Nyclads 125 gr. ammo in my 340PD but ran out of that ammo long ago and since then I have been practicing and carrying the Remington 158 gr. LSWCHP round.

I have not had any bullets pulled out but if you have had that experience I might have to reconsider.

Is this still your opinion on that gun-round combo or has something changed from back then that would make you go back on that comment ?

Mas Ayoob
09-06-2011, 21:26
Opinion unchanged, I'm afraid. Last I knew even Smith & Wesson was telling folks that in their super-light J-frames (AirLites, not Airweights) jacketed bullet ammo was recommended because it's much less likely to jump its crimp from heavy recoil and "prairie dog up" from the front of the cylinder, jamming the gun, than heavy lead bullets.

Today we have the 135 grain +P Speer Gold Dot .38 Special, designed by ATK's Ernest Durham expressly for the snub-nose backup .38s of NYPD, and well proven there, in Chicago, and elsewhere. It's the hands down choice for the super-lights, and frankly my choice in any 2". I use the 158 grain LSWCHP Remington all-lead +P in my Airweight (i.e., 14 ounce and heavier) or all-steel J-frames as a strong second choice.

best,
Mas

Glockbuster
09-06-2011, 23:11
Thanks Mas, not good, not good. I was able to get a good supply of this "FBI load" and I wish we had the short barrel Gold Dots here but we do not.