Ruger Standard Magazines? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Standard Magazines?

berzirk
09-07-2011, 14:17
I inherited a Ruger Standard, manufactured in 1979 from my grandfather. It has one mag, but I'd like to add several more, so I can spend more time shooting than loading, but it appears they no longer make Standard-specific mags. I've been reading several forums and trying to get to the bottom of it, but can anyone with 100% certainly tell me which (if any) Ruger magazines are compatible with this pistol?

It's been surprisingly difficult for a noob like me to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

DJ Niner
09-08-2011, 00:18
The original Ruger Standard model autos had fixed sights (no elevation adjustment, but the rear could be tapped right or left in the dovetail for windage corrections), and the target-sighted (click-adjustable target sights) version was called the Mark-I Target.

Ruger currently offers newly-produced 9-shot magazines which are listed for use in the older Mark-I pistols, and they should work in your Standard model as well. Here is a link to Ruger's page for that item:

http://shopruger.com/Mark-I-Blued-Magazine-9-Shot/productinfo/90062/

Depending on the configuration of your frame, you may have to switch the loading-assist button to the other side of the magazine body (some frames had the groove for the button one side, some on the other). A serious Ruger rimfire fan might be able to tell you the cut-off date when the frame-button-groove was switched, but I'm not that guy; sorry. :supergrin:

All you have to do is look at your current magazine's load assist button, and if the replacement mag has the button on the other side when you receive it, then switch it over prior to first use.

Hope this was helpful; good luck! Those old Ruger rimfire pistols are great little guns.

berzirk
09-08-2011, 10:18
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Many thanks!

El_Ron1
09-10-2011, 23:49
Don't buy the 9 shot mag with the gray bottom unless you want to give up one round for no reason. It's exactly the same mag as the "MKII" but with a base plate designed to eliminate 1 round of capacity. I have no idea why Ruger persists in this ridiculous practice.

If you do find yourself with some restricted "MKI"s, they can be remedied with the black "MKII" base. This does not apply to the original chrome based "MKI/Standard" mags. That base is not removable. CDNN has better than usual prices, with weekend mag and shipping specials fairly often.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rumk2210magn.html

Research the "A 100” frame modification vs. the original "A54" .22 Auto frame for the answers to your fit compatibility questions.

http://guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8828&sid=e120b43c8d006529ccd258b868beb6a8

berzirk
09-14-2011, 14:43
Just received two magazines. Midway had them for a good bit cheaper. I haven't fired anything yet, but the mags fit great, and actually insert and release much better than my original. Assuming I get a few mags emptied and there are no increased jams from the new ones over the original, I'll be in it to purchase a couple more. Thanks again for the help. Didn't even have to swap the button.