Loading Competition Rifle Ammo on 550 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading Competition Rifle Ammo on 550

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2011, 15:06
Just to stir the pot a little. Apparently the last "Rifles only Sniper Hide" marksman who won "Top Military Shooter" loaded his 300 Win Mag ammo on his lowly, POS, 550. Can't imagine how anyone who wins anything with a Rifle (except Tubbs of course) can do it on anything other then a single stage. He must have been worrying about his ammo the entire time ;). Anyway, Way to go Jon H. Geib's. Great Job. Thanks for serving as well.

The previous information is courtesy of the recent Blue Press. And it had a Child :upeyes: holding a rifle of some sort on the cover. They are starting to look awful young.

http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepress/bluepressoct11/oct11/object_files/main.swf

Page 64 for the article

WiskyT
09-07-2011, 16:58
Can you give me the Reader's Digest version? I waited 10 minutes for the thing to load and it would only get to pg 42. What range? Precision or action shooting?

The perenial winner of the Palma matches used to use Lee collet dies back in the day.

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2011, 17:05
He came in "High Military Shooter" or some such thing. Basically he said it would cost him $1500 to buy enough 300 Win Mag ammo for the match. He couldn't even have competed with out the ability to reload his ammo. It was a short little article about how a progressive can make ammo you can win a Match with.

WiskyT
09-07-2011, 17:24
I don't see any reason why he couldn't load match rifle ammo on it. Neck sizing is a big part of rifle reloading and the other stuff is good enough on a progressive.

The rifle is the biggest part of it, along with the shooter of course. The precision guys I've seen at my club all shoot the same caliber, most using the same custom action and using the same barrel. The all use different components and the all end up with one 25 caliber hole in their target regardless of how many shots they shoot.

One guy I watched tinker around tried several loads with different powders and bullets and all the groups were the same. The POI changed, but the groups didn't.

Doping the wind and accurate ranging I think are the biggest factors. I could buy the same rifle, use the same components etc and not shoot as well because the wind is such a big deal. Load your ammo on a hand press with dippers and with a good rifle, if you can dope everything right, you'll win. Use top of the line gear and get the wind wrong, and your a loser.

Colorado4Wheel
09-07-2011, 20:50
Geez, it's Wisky and I talking about the weather together again. Thanks for playing Wisky. Some people just don't want to have any fun any more.

freakshow10mm
09-07-2011, 22:17
Competitive shooters I've spoken with have said the key to loading accurate ammo on the 550 is not to size when a bullet is being seated.

Hoser
09-08-2011, 07:41
I load all my long range ammo on a 550. I do not use the Dillon powder measure, but a Prometheus powder measure. That measure is sensitive down to the single kernel.

I chronoed and checked zeros on some of my 6CM ammo monday morning. For 10 shots ES was 12 and at 425 yards went into just over 1 inch.

I headed to a different range on the way home to do some long range shooting with the same gun. At 1,0000 yards off a bi-pod and sandbags I put 12 rounds in 14 inches with 9 of them inside about 7 inches. Left to right is where the group went which means it was me and not the ammo.

Details. Accuracy International AX. S&B 5-25 scope. Shark Suppressor. Krieger 27 inch barrel. 6CM. Lapua Brass. 49.1 gns H-1000. Federal match primers. Pointed up 115 DTAC bullets. Loaded on a 14 year old Dillon 550.

StaTiK
09-08-2011, 16:07
I load all my long range ammo on a 550. I do not use the Dillon powder measure, but a Prometheus powder measure. That measure is sensitive down to the single kernel.

I chronoed and checked zeros on some of my 6CM ammo monday morning. For 10 shots ES was 12 and at 425 yards went into just over 1 inch.

I headed to a different range on the way home to do some long range shooting with the same gun. At 1,0000 yards off a bi-pod and sandbags I put 12 rounds in 14 inches with 9 of them inside about 7 inches. Left to right is where the group went which means it was me and not the ammo.

Details. Accuracy International AX. S&B 5-25 scope. Shark Suppressor. Krieger 27 inch barrel. 6CM. Lapua Brass. 49.1 gns H-1000. Federal match primers. Pointed up 115 DTAC bullets. Loaded on a 14 year old Dillon 550.

Very impressive Hozer.
-StaTiK-