Anyone hear of a Mossberg 500 #50521? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of a Mossberg 500 #50521?

joepa150
09-08-2011, 05:20
I recently purchased this model for $259 which I thought was a great deal considering the cheapest I can get the #50411 was $319 locally. I can't find much info about this model online except that it seems to be a "Sports South distributor-only" model.
From what I can tell, these are the only differences.
1) Forend is different and supposedly harder to swap out (similar to Mav 88)
2) Recoil pad is not solid rubber but has a bunch of cut out holes (seems better?)
3) Parkerized finish (Typically more money than blued SG offered by Mossberg)

Besides the increased difficulty and money involved with swapping out the forend, it appears that I actually have a nicer model than the 50411 imo. Nicer looking forend imo, softer recoil pad (may help with recoil), better looking and more durable finish (parkerized)imo , and was $60 cheaper!!!

Anyone have or know of this model?
Who is Sports South?
Any other differences between this and the #50411?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/336/products_id/39622

ScrappyDoo
09-08-2011, 08:06
Just want to point a few things out- Mossberg 500's are great, awesome. 590's are even awesomer' and the 590A1' are maybe the toughest shotguns on the world.

The pistol grip is really hard to shoot- as for recoil pads, I think you absolutrly need them, 12 gauge kick so hard they limit the tactical effectiveness- you weant a LimbSaver. For 30 some bucks they absolutely CHANGE THE WAY U Can deploy your shotgun- it COMPLETELY changedd me and my M930SPX. Seriously.

I don't have a parkerized finish on my M930SPX...and I wish I did! Bluing "matte" finish as Mossberg calls it doesn't do it for me. I am going to have to have it DuraCoat'd as soon as possible. So if u can get Parkekized I seriously suggest it. just my humble opinion.

GAFinch
09-08-2011, 08:34
Congrats!

Haven't seen this model before. The open cell recoil pad is an improvement over a solid one. Keeping the shotgun pressed firmly into your shoulder while shooting also helps with recoil. I would heavily soak all the parkerized surfaces with oil when you first get it, then keep it lightly oiled on a regular basis after that.

WoodenPlank
09-08-2011, 16:04
Congrats!

Haven't seen this model before. The open cell recoil pad is an improvement over a solid one. Keeping the shotgun pressed firmly into your shoulder while shooting also helps with recoil. I would heavily soak all the parkerized surfaces with oil when you first get it, then keep it lightly oiled on a regular basis after that.

Yeah, the solid pad isn't as good, but the recoil isn't too bad with LE/tactical loads. I can dump 8 loads of low recoil 00 in under 5 seconds, and keep them all on target at 10 yards. I can do the same thing with slugs, even though slugs are nearly useless inside the house.

joepa150
09-08-2011, 16:35
Maybe this model is cheaper than the #50411 because it is a "Sports South Distributor" Model and they ordered a bunch of them so Mossberg gave them a better price. The Forend may be the only part that you could consider a down grade compared to the #50411 forend since it is similar to the Mav 88 (don't know the details but I think the forend is integrated with the slide action arms or whatever the name is). I think the forend looks better than the regular corn cobb one.

Z71bill
09-14-2011, 14:58
Buds sells it for $265

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=50521&x=19&y=11

DHSGMAN
09-14-2011, 16:08
Look into Nordic Components, Cactus Tactical, Mesa Tactical. I think you'll find a solution somewhere out there.