AR question from local advertisement [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR question from local advertisement

Sparkster
09-08-2011, 08:00
I'm an AR noob, just to set the stage for this question...

I'm wondering what would be so drastically different between the two M&P rifles in this ad to constitute a $400 price difference:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/Sparxter971/Untitled-1.jpg

Is $600 a good deal on the Sport for a cheap, low-budget type of guy?

Thanks.

120mm
09-08-2011, 08:53
$600 is a good deal for the Sport.

Basically the sport comes without chrome lined barrel, dust cover and charging handle. Dunno if it comes with sights or not.

$1000 or so for an M&P anything is a complete ripoff.

You can buy a Colt or BCM for that kind of money, and while the M&P is not a bad rifle, it is not a $1000 gun.

JTipper.45
09-08-2011, 08:58
From what I can see the main difference is the rear LMT style sight instead of A2 carry handle, barrel profile ( H-bar style not M-4), looks like standard handguards instead of the common M-4 double shielded, lack of front side sling swivel, lack of dust cover, no forward assist, and I'm sure there will be a few internal changes. This is what you get when you try to mass produce a product and flood the market. While I'm sure it would do fine as a Sunday shooter, I don't think I would use for home defense and sure as heck not as a patrol rifle without going through it with a fine tooth comb.

DaBigBR
09-08-2011, 10:10
I believe that the Sport is also not parkerized, but blued or something similar.

For what they're getting for the "good" M&Ps, you can get a 6920 at some places.

larry_minn
09-08-2011, 10:11
I have handled the DPMS "Cheapest AR we make" As said it didn't have dust cover, IIRC the "bump" for brass deflector was gone, barrel not chrome, something with the flash spreader. (I forget if it didn't have one/or it was not a screw on, I am leaning toward it was pressed on/tacked but I don't recall)
For two hundred more I got what I wanted, and been very happy with it.

SCSU74
09-08-2011, 10:18
$600 is a good deal for the Sport.

Basically the sport comes without chrome lined barrel, dust cover and charging handle. Dunno if it comes with sights or not.

$1000 or so for an M&P anything is a complete ripoff.

You can buy a Colt or BCM for that kind of money, and while the M&P is not a bad rifle, it is not a $1000 gun.

ouch, do yourself a favor and save $400 to get a colt.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

if you're LEO it drops to $975