Hot Stop Training Materials? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stop Training Materials?

PinkoCommie
09-08-2011, 15:12
Ladies and Germs,

I am trying to gather materials (printed, electronic, you name it) for hot stop training. Let me know what you've got - I'd love to gather what I can.

This training is non-existent at my agency. The boots get some at the academy, but that's about it. That means that for officers that have been there for a while, their last hot-stop training might have occurred a decade ago or more. My agency does not make many hot stops, but they do happen. It is a low frequency/high risk kind of event, and therefore requires recurring training in my opinion.

I have taken this on as a project, after discussing it with higher-ups. I would like to put together a well thought out training outline with accompanying materials, etc. I don't care what method you have materials on (Riverside v. everyone proned out, etc.). I'll take them all. We don't really have an established method for doing it, so part of my training and discussions with command staff will be standardizing this.

I appreciate any and all help with this.

PinkoCommie
09-11-2011, 12:00
Seriously? NOTHING? Hmm... I've got some stuff from here and there, but I thought that surely someone in the CT braintrust would have something on this...

k9medic
09-11-2011, 12:08
Define what a hot-stop is. A lack of response might be because no one knows what you are referring to. At very least I don't.

Do you mean conducting a felony stop (high risk, high profile, multiple cars, etc...)

CW Mock
09-11-2011, 15:50
"Hot Stop" was a term I think I heard Officers in San Diego using to describe what we refer to as a Felony or High Risk stop here in CO.

To address the other part, I personally would not feel comfortable posting law enforcement training or technical information on an open forum. Yes, I know a dirtball can probably find the info anyways, or just get busted enough to learn the stuff, but why make it easy? I don't know if you have heard of www.officerresource.com or not, but they have a "verified" section that is good for that kind of information. Everyone granted access there is verified as a law enforcement officer.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted. See you on OR?

DaBigBR
09-11-2011, 15:50
I somehow missed this thread. I'll see what I can find...I probably have a couple of powerpoints from our reserve training.

We do the Riverside Method as it is more friendly to smaller departments.

One of the last ones I was on was initiated by a deputy sheriff and I was the #2 car. We were on a busy interstate and there were five or six people in the car. He (the dep) ordered EVERYBODY out at the same time and then to "slowly walk back" before two of us (myself and the third car) stopped him. It was terrible.

DaBigBR
09-11-2011, 15:51
"Hot Stop" was a term I think I heard Officers in San Diego using to describe what we refer to as a Felony or High Risk stop here in CO.

To address the other part, I personally would not feel comfortable posting law enforcement training or technical information on an open forum. Yes, I know a dirtball can probably find the info anyways, or just get busted enough to learn the stuff, but why make it easy? I don't know if you have heard of www.officerresource.com or not, but they have a "verified" section that is good for that kind of information. Everyone granted access there is verified as a law enforcement officer.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted. See you on OR?

I'll vouch for PinkoCommie being legit. Obviously materials should probably be exchanged via email.

CW Mock
09-11-2011, 16:02
I'll vouch for PinkoCommie being legit. Obviously materials should probably be exchanged via email.

I'll see what I can dig up then. :supergrin:

PinkoCommie
09-12-2011, 13:40
Define what a hot-stop is. A lack of response might be because no one knows what you are referring to. At very least I don't.

Do you mean conducting a felony stop (high risk, high profile, multiple cars, etc...)

Yes. Hot stop is a generic term. Different areas/agencies will call them felony stops, high-risk vehicle contacts, whatever. For those who are anal-retentive about acronyms and random names, it is basically a vehicle stop where you get to point guns at people.

PinkoCommie
09-12-2011, 13:42
I'll see what I can dig up then. :supergrin:

Thanks, man. I am happy to have it sent to my work email, so PM me if you dig something up.

I am close enough to being legit that I work with someone who used to be at your agency. When he came back to us, I was even his trainer ;)

k9medic
09-12-2011, 13:55
CW Mock - thanks for the other link too. i just sent in my stuff for vetting.

jnc36rcpd
09-12-2011, 14:42
Pinko, I'd suggest Calibre Press' "The Tactical Edge". First of all, the hairsyles, mustasches, cars, and guns will make you nostalgic for the nineties. More importantly, the book addresses the pros and cons of various stop techniques rather than simply providing a lesson plan.

PinkoCommie
09-12-2011, 15:13
Pinko, I'd suggest Calibre Press' "The Tactical Edge". First of all, the hairsyles, mustasches, cars, and guns will make you nostalgic for the nineties. More importantly, the book addresses the pros and cons of various stop techniques rather than simply providing a lesson plan.

Good idea. It's been a while since I looked at that.

msu_grad_121
09-12-2011, 16:43
Yes. Hot stop is a generic term. Different areas/agencies will call them felony stops, high-risk vehicle contacts, whatever. For those who are anal-retentive about acronyms and random names, it is basically a vehicle stop where you get to point guns at people.

Get to or have to? :rofl:

Not sure if I have anything laying around, but I'll look. I kept all my stuff from the academy, and I'm sure they have something about it in there. Just have to find it...

PinkoCommie
09-12-2011, 16:52
Get to or have to? :rofl:

Yeah, I know... because YOU don't enjoy a good hot stop, right? :supergrin:

Some of us are just generally peace-loving, non-aggressive types, I guess ;)

The only hot stop where I kinda felt weird pointing guns at folks was a stolen car with two adults in the front (driver and passenger). It wasn't my stop, but I was first to cover. I took a good position (awesome cover behind a sizable tree on the side of a city street) and from my vantage point saw that the passenger had a roughly two year old kid in his lap. I pointed that out to the officer whose stop it was, and we waited for more cover. It went down without incident, and after we hooked them, in addition to car theft, the driver was charged with an unrestrained child. :whistling:

msu_grad_121
09-12-2011, 18:42
Yeah, I know... because YOU don't enjoy a good hot stop, right? :supergrin:

Some of us are just generally peace-loving, non-aggressive types, I guess ;)

Moi? Has my reputation preceeded me? :whistling:

DaBigBR
09-12-2011, 21:13
It went down without incident, and after we hooked them, in addition to car theft, the driver was charged with an unrestrained child. :whistling:

Freakin' awesome! That's one of the small victories. I had a guy bail out on a traffic stop this weekend. I would have charged him with leaving his vehicle unattended with the engine running (a great charge when somebody's car gets taken while idling in front of a store), but there were passengers. :(

PinkoCommie
09-13-2011, 09:08
Freakin' awesome! That's one of the small victories. I had a guy bail out on a traffic stop this weekend. I would have charged him with leaving his vehicle unattended with the engine running (a great charge when somebody's car gets taken while idling in front of a store), but there were passengers. :(

Hmm... I like the way you think!

Napalm561
09-13-2011, 11:01
Pinko is legit. Known from the verified Leo forums at officerresource.com .
I try to frequent both forums. The day I stop learning more, is the day I need to turn in my badge.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine