Prison contraband question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prison contraband question

oldgraywolf
09-08-2011, 19:13
Today a Michigan CO was arrested for attempting to smuggle heroin and tobacco into a prison.

My mad detective skills tell me that there must be some pretty good money involved for a guy to risk his career (18 years in this case) in a fairly good paying/good bennies job, and some time in the joint himself.

So, where does the money come from? I can't imagine inmates having a good stash in their pillows. Can there be any enlightenment in a public forum, or is this too touchy a question?

ray9898
09-08-2011, 19:31
Everything is done on the outside. The inmate arranges the payoff amount and product delivery to the officer by a 3rd party which all occurrs outside that gate. The officers job is to simply smuggle it in.

PawDog
09-08-2011, 19:39
They're not really making much money on the deals. Usually, inmate's family members and associates on the streets are the go-betweens, the ones who provide the CO with the drugs and the pay-off. I've seen cases where the CO is sexually involved with the inmate, and simply brings in the drugs/contraband because the convict now "owns" the CO, given their relationship.

Other cases have involved CO's who are actually either gang members or "wanna-be's" and bring in the contraband to their fellow gang members behind bars.

Most folks would be shocked to know what actually happens in a prison environment on a daily basis. :shocked:

CJStudent
09-08-2011, 19:39
Everything is done on the outside. The inmate arranges the payoff amount and product delivery to the officer by a 3rd party which all occurrs outside that gate. The officers job is to simply smuggle it in.

Exactly. Family or gangbanger homie of the inmate makes the payment at the inmate's request. That's why inmate communication is monitored. Or the inmate could have had some serious dirt on the CO and blackmailed him. More than likely for money, though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CJStudent
09-08-2011, 19:40
And as to "pretty good money", I've seen where some have done it for a measley couple of grand; sometimes less.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

nursetim
09-08-2011, 19:42
Yeah, but it's a one time deal, if that. Once they do it, the con has them by the short and curlies. It is usually the dimmer short sighted ones that do this.

oldgraywolf
09-09-2011, 03:53
Thanks to all for your responses.

Cruiser1
09-09-2011, 12:09
In our tri-county area one of our local SDs just arrested 3 nurses and 2 deputies that were working at the county jail. They were bringing in everything from cash, cell phones to drugs. I know one of the deputies and honestly was very surprised to hear about it in his case. This seems to pop up every few months. The county has a very pro-active sheriff when it comes to corruption within his department and jail.

glocks_n_ars713
09-14-2011, 00:47
yeah....thankfully i have not seen this happen firsthand. but i have heard stories of other COs doing other kinds of shady stuff. obviously, they no longer work there.....but yeah. i always wonder what the attraction to that is myself. there is NOTHING that inmates have that i could possibly want that would make me even consider losing my job and my freedom over.

MeefZah
09-14-2011, 07:22
Blackmail.

They should have read the story about "The duck" or whatever bull**** they give you in the corrections academy.

Polak
09-14-2011, 08:23
Blackmail.

They should have read the story about "The duck" or whatever bull**** they give you in the corrections academy.

Amen :goodpost: