MSP Lansing Post Trooper Drew Spencer ... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MSP Lansing Post Trooper Drew Spencer ...

msu_grad_121
09-08-2011, 19:16
Forwarded to me via email, thought I'd post it here. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
ETA: Apparently Trooper Spencer is a "cub," which is what MSP calls their rookies...

As many of you already know, a car struck Trooper Drew Spencer while on a traffic stop Sunday, September 4th. He was doing everything right. He and his FTO made a passenger side approach and were walking back to the patrol car when a motorist in the left lane lost control and struck the side of the patrol car. It then struck Trooper Spencer who was near the left front tire of the patrol car. He was life flighted to U of M Hospital in Ann Arbor where he is currently in the ICU. He has a broken eye socket and the base of his skull is fractured. His brain is bleeding and he is currently in a drug-induced coma.

Let's come together as a Police family and help take care of Trooper Spencer's family. His wife, Jamie, who is 8 1/2 months pregnant, is by his side. Trooper Ryan Hutchinson and his family as well as Drew and Jamie's family are helping take care of their toddler. Drew and Jamie will have numerous family members coming to and from the hospital over the next several weeks. Workers comp will take care of Jamie as far as bills are concerned but they now have added expenses and it's time for us to show Jamie what it means to be a cop's wife. Lets help her take care of gas, hotel and food expenses for herself and their family.

Donations and cards should be sent to:

Trooper Drew Spencer
C/O MSP Lansing Post
7119 N Canal Rd
Lansing MI 48913

Please make checks payable to Jamie Spencer. A Trooper will be sent to the hospital every day and he/she will take the envelopes at that time.

Please take a minute and forward this. It would be great if we could reach out across departments

MeefZah
09-08-2011, 19:37
Paypal account?

lndshark
09-08-2011, 19:42
Hey R,

Do you know if local uniformed personnel would be able to take donations directly to U-M Medical Center? I'm working through the weekend, and I'm sure a handful of us would make the trip up there for such a good cause.

msu_grad_121
09-08-2011, 21:00
Hey R,

Do you know if local uniformed personnel would be able to take donations directly to U-M Medical Center? I'm working through the weekend, and I'm sure a handful of us would make the trip up there for such a good cause.

Not sure, as this was a friend-of-a-friend thing, but I can't imagine them having much of a problem with it. I've got a friend that's a nurse at U of M, I'll ask her what their visitation policy is, and if she has any ideas about getting you guys in to see the Trooper's wife or the on-duty Troop, at the very least.

No word on the paypal thing, but I'll pass it along, maybe we can set something up for them.

Agent6-3/8
09-08-2011, 21:50
Damn...prayers sent for Trooper Spencer and his family. :angel:

One of my academy classmates and his FTO were struck by a DUI in a very simiar incident about 2 weeks after we graduated.

msu_grad_121
09-08-2011, 23:23
Okay, just got off the phone with my friend, and called the University's PD. They don't have a problem with uniformed personnel stopping by to pay their respects and such.

steveksux
09-09-2011, 00:17
Damn, really underscores doing everything right and still getting jammed up.. Any signs of alcohol on the driver that lost control, or just a tragic accident?

Regardless, prayers inbound..

Randy

msu_grad_121
09-09-2011, 01:09
Damn, really underscores doing everything right and still getting jammed up.. Any signs of alcohol on the driver that lost control, or just a tragic accident?

Regardless, prayers inbound..

Randy

The initial reports I heard say that no alcohol was involved, but that due to the stop, traffic started backing up, and the driver in question slammed on their brakes and swerved off the road so as not to hit the car in front, and creamed the Troopers unit.

It's really sad that one (or more) poor driver's lack of attention ends this way...

4949shooter
09-09-2011, 04:28
Prayers..

Ajon412
09-09-2011, 12:39
Prayers for a full recovery.....

lndshark
09-09-2011, 19:03
Okay, just got off the phone with my friend, and called the University's PD. They don't have a problem with uniformed personnel stopping by to pay their respects and such.

Okay, thanks for checking. I'm gonna see if I can shoot up there in the PM if it isn't too busy.

HeliGlock
09-09-2011, 21:29
Prayers being sent for the Trooper and his Family. Tragic Accident. Hope all turns out well.

merlynusn
09-10-2011, 09:48
prayers sent

Hack
09-11-2011, 21:55
Prayers sent.

G27Chief
09-14-2011, 02:15
Prayers for a full recovery.

lndshark
09-15-2011, 18:45
My Sargent and I stopped by the hospital and paid a visit to Trooper Spencer today. He's doing VERY well, is awake, alert and wanting to GET OUT of the hospital! He nearly jumped up out of bed to greet us when we walked in (the Sarge almost had to physically restrain him :D). His wife, Jamie was there and was in good spirits too. He starts rehab/therapy today or tomorrow. There appears to be a Trooper there with him at all hours and he's had visitors from the local departments as well. Thanks for all of your well-wishes, support and prayers.

A BIG Thank you to msu_grad_121 for posting this (I'll call you Friday...I promise!).

lndshark
09-15-2011, 18:48
I stopped by the hospital and paid a visit to Trooper Spencer today. One of my Sargents came along as well (he has family with MSP). He's doing VERY well, is awake, alert and wanting to GET OUT of the hospital! He nearly jumped up out of bed to greet us when we walked in (the Sarge almost had to physically restrain him :supergrin:). His wife, Jamie was there and was in good spirits too. He starts rehab/therapy today or tomorrow. There appears to be a Trooper there with him at all hours and he's had visitors from the local departments as well. Thanks for all of your well-wishes, support and prayers.

A BIG Thank you to msu_grad_121 for posting this (I'll call you Friday...I promise!).

msu_grad_121
09-15-2011, 19:32
Glad to hear you made it down there to pass along the well wishes in person, and even gladder that he doing well! Gotta give respect to a Blue Goose that can come back from that.

And like I said, it wasn't like I had anything else to do, I'm just glad the CT community was able to come together and help out.

All the thanks goes to the fine men and women on the forum! Thanks again, everybody! It speaks volumes about each and every one of you!

:wavey: