Are We (They) Ready?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are We (They) Ready??

TangoFoxtrot
09-09-2011, 03:10
'Credible' Terrorist Threat Reported By U.S. Officials (UPDATE)

Federal authorities are investigating a possible terrorist threat to the United States (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/08/authorities-find-possible-credible-threat-to-us-homeland-around-11-anniversary/), just days before the tenth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to Fox News.
The threat -- described as “specific" and "credible" -- has not yet been confirmed (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44444344/ns/politics/?ocid=twitter), reports NBC.
ABC News has more details. Intelligence officials told ABC that three individuals entered the country with the intent of launching a 'vehicle-borne attack' against New York or Washington D.C (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/feds-threat-al-qaeda-terror-attack-911/story?id=14477592)., around the anniversary of 9/11.
According to sources who spoke with ABC (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/feds-threat-al-qaeda-terror-attack-911/story?id=14477592), the suspected terrorists may have originated from Afghanistan.
Marc Ambinder of National Journal reports that police in both cities were briefed on the threat this morning (http://nationaljournal.com/nationalsecurity/u-s-investigating-terror-threat-to-new-york-washington-d-c--20110908). President Obama and members of Congress were also briefed (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/08/source-specific-credible-but-unconfirmed-threat-to-u-s/), reports CNN.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg will hold a press conference with the NYPD and FBI at 9:30 p.m. Thursday evening.
CNN reports that the FBI and the DHS are trying to put out a bulletin to law enforcement officials (http://twitter.com/#!/CNNSecurityNews/statuses/111960970498281472) overnight regarding a possible attack.
More from HuffPost reporter Andrea Stone:
Matthew Chandler, spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, confirmed to The Huffington Post that there is a "specific, credible but unconfirmed threat" of an attack on 9/11. Based on intelligence gathered from the Osama bin Laden raid in May, al Qaeda "has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries, such as 9/11," he said. "As we always do before important dates like the anniversary of 9/11, we will undoubtedly get more reporting in the coming days. Sometimes this reporting is credible and warrants intense focus, other times it lacks credibility and is highly unlikely to be reflective of real plots underway.
"Regardless, we take all threat reporting seriously, and we have taken, and will continue to take all steps necessary to mitigate any threats that arise. We continue to ask the American people to remain vigilant as we head into the weekend.”
A US intelligence official told HuffPost, "US counterterrorism entities have been alert for any leads, and for the first time we’ve received specific and credible—but unconfirmed—threat information linked to the 9/11 anniversary. Any and all leads related to possible plots are of course being run to ground, and the US will bring every resource to bear to ensure the security of the American people.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/credible-terrorist-threat_n_954772.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C93967

jdavionic
09-09-2011, 05:06
Yes...I am. I made plans that include traveling on 9/11. However I will not change my plans due to some extremists who want to ruin our way of life. Screw 'em.

I will be prepared as I always try to be. I will be alert and keep a watchful eye. Fortunately I don't think I am currently or will be in an area where AQ believes would be a beneficial target...but who knows. Like they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

wjv
09-09-2011, 09:43
I'm traveling also, but by car.

I'll have my get home bag in the car, and won't let the gas tank get lower than half, which is more than enough to get us back home if necessary.

cowboy1964
09-09-2011, 10:11
won't let the gas tank get lower than half, which is more than enough to get us back home if necessary.

This is a good strategy. I do the same even when I'm home. Besides, the wife likes to take regular stops to stretch her legs so I'd be stopping away.

pugman
09-09-2011, 11:02
Objectively, no we are not ready nor will we ever be

After 9/11, the FBI/NSA/Armed Forces had meetings with Hollywood producers and writers in hopes of having them share ideas of things they haven't thought of how a terrorist could attack. These are not people who think proactively.

Friends of mine they ask "well, why haven't we been hit again?" My .02: we have. These are people who not only want us to die but what to erradicate our way of life; things even these people realize can't be done overnight. Anyone open a paper, blog or website lately-things over the past ten years haven't gotten better.

I've posted before terrorism is as much about psychology as it is about murder. A second attack spaced out around ten years would send a clear message of 1) we are still here and 2) you will never be safe 100% of the time.

Low tech: how do you prevent a few guys loaded up with auto loading shotguns from attacking a mall or Labor day parade?

I've always thought terrorists think too big. Sure, they hit us and hit us hard and its basically redefined life as we know it-but not every act of cowardice and hatred needs to take out a building.

Objectively, a large scale attack psychologically would probably be pretty stupid on their part. This nation has never been so divided but post 9/11 for about a year or so-people where acting as a country rather than the trival crap things have come down to. A second attack could drive enlistment numbers....probably increase the military's budget...and let the gloves finally come off.

Bilbo Bagins
09-09-2011, 12:06
Low tech: how do you prevent a few guys loaded up with auto loading shotguns from attacking a mall or Labor day parade?

Its been done by Crazies and al Qaeda wannabes before.

Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

Do you remember where you were when Ft Hood was attacked, or when the Virigina Tech Shooting happened?

They like big because besides even though al Qaeda want to instill terror, they want to make a statement with America.

quake
09-09-2011, 12:14
...Low tech: how do you prevent a few guys loaded up with auto loading shotguns from attacking a mall or Labor day parade?
Imo, we can't truly "prevent" it (ie, keep it from happening altogether); only respond to it. If the response is slow and/or ineffectual, then the outcome is worse than if it's fast and decisive.

Can't make any predictions for this weekend, only precautions; and frankly we're probably in one of the lower-risk areas of the country as it is.

TangoFoxtrot
09-10-2011, 05:30
Yes...I am. I made plans that include traveling on 9/11. However I will not change my plans due to some extremists who want to ruin our way of life. Screw 'em.

I will be prepared as I always try to be. I will be alert and keep a watchful eye. Fortunately I don't think I am currently or will be in an area where AQ believes would be a beneficial target...but who knows. Like they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Correct again my friend! What makes me want to puke is the last report is there is 2 Americans involved..WTF if they are captured they should be bleed out slowly. :steamed:

DoctaGlockta
09-10-2011, 05:58

Do you remember where you were when Ft Hood was attacked, or when the Virigina Tech Shooting happened?

They like big because besides even though al Qaeda want to instill terror, they want to make a statement with America.

I thought al Qaeda was our ally in the liberation of Libya from MG? You know the same guys that we funded in the liberation of Afghanistan from the Soviets.

I'm confused :dunno:

pugman
09-10-2011, 06:51

9/11/01: Just moved to a new job at my employer the previous day. Moved from 3rd to 4th floor. My new boss didn't have IT set up a cube yet with a computer and phone so I used the cube of a director who was in Iowa that week. Saw the whole thing through a 13" color TV my boss kept around to watch the Badger games when he worked on Saturdays

In all honesty, I don't remember where I was at when Ft Hood or Virginia Tech happened.

The Virginia Tech Shooting was a horrible incident-but it wasn't taking out a building and killing thousands. It was a tragic event and I will remember it for the rest of my life but what prevents a cell of 5-6 people from doing the same thing on the same day and 5-6 different locations? What does it take to plan....nothing more than a few thousand dollars and enough devote (aka crazy enough) people to carry it out.

My point it we can never be prepared....does that mean dont' try....no. It means I'm surprised a Ft Hood/Virg Tech type event doesn't happen every few months.

inzone
09-10-2011, 10:08
I have wondered that myself....radical islamic jihadists in small cells sleeper cells in all 52 states who launch simultaenous attacks in public places first with small arms and perhaps improvised explosives, then go mobile in vehicles and keep doing terroristic drive-bys...... assymetrical,cheap, easy to train and plan, easily available weapons and materials and would create a lot of terror......look at what that one crazy loon just did in Scandinavia....can you imagine if the jihadists stole some police uniforms (perhaps from a laundry wheere they worked or a tailor, etc) and you alos had a bunch of these jihadists gunning down people while posing as cops......

Dalton Wayne
09-10-2011, 11:44
I have wondered that myself....radical islamic jihadists in small cells sleeper cells in all 52 states who launch simultaenous attacks in public places first with small arms and perhaps improvised explosives, then go mobile in vehicles and keep doing terroristic drive-bys...... assymetrical,cheap, easy to train and plan, easily available weapons and materials and would create a lot of terror......look at what that one crazy loon just did in Scandinavia....can you imagine if the jihadists stole some police uniforms (perhaps from a laundry wheere they worked or a tailor, etc) and you alos had a bunch of these jihadists gunning down people while posing as cops......
52 states :dunno:

UneasyRider
09-10-2011, 11:54
Imo, we can't truly "prevent" it (ie, keep it from happening altogether); only respond to it. If the response is slow and/or ineffectual, then the outcome is worse than if it's fast and decisive.

Can't make any predictions for this weekend, only precautions; and frankly we're probably in one of the lower-risk areas of the country as it is.

Concealed carry and common open carry of full auto weapons like in Israel, it did the trick there, the muslims had to switch to bombs.

inzone
09-10-2011, 12:31
interesting that we have idiots on GT more interested in typos than in reality.... nothing better to do? :steamed:

kirgi08
09-10-2011, 14:30
He was just curious.'08. :upeyes:

michael e
09-10-2011, 14:49

At work, at work and at work. Seems to be me going to work results in bad things for other people. Maybe I should get on walfare and sit on my ass all day.

UneasyRider
09-10-2011, 15:05
He was just curious.'08. :upeyes:

Remember when Obama said 57 states when he was campaigning kirgi? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

kirgi08
09-10-2011, 15:46
I remember.'08. :faint:

quake
09-10-2011, 21:12
Concealed carry and common open carry of full auto weapons like in Israel, it did the trick there, the muslims had to switch to bombs.

:thumbsup: Armed populace is the main factor in making the response fast & decisive imo.

9mm +p+
09-10-2011, 21:22
It'll be just another overblown nonevent, more fearmongering to keep the masses scared.

bdcochran
09-10-2011, 22:06
52 states ?

The President thinks that there are 57.

TangoFoxtrot
09-11-2011, 07:46
:thumbsup: Armed populace is the main factor in making the response fast & decisive imo.

Yep! I don't need the government to protect me.

bdcochran
09-11-2011, 08:56
"I don't need the government to protect me. "

I do need the government to protect me. However, I fully expect that it will not do so.

TangoFoxtrot
09-12-2011, 02:26
The government is too busy protecting its own *****.