First Shift Jitters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Shift Jitters

Bodyarmorguy
09-09-2011, 15:37
My jitters but not my shift. I have been in law enforcement since 1984, worked patrol, narcotics, SWAT, etc. I am in my second law enforcement career now with a smaller agency, the first was 180 officers and a population of 75,000 with 2 very rough "hoods."

My girlfriend recently graduated the police academy at 42 years of age and was hired by my my old agency. She completed all of the orientation stuff and just walked out the door for her first shift, 1800-0600.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, 42 years old and a rookie cop chasing crackheads and hookers. Heavy sigh!

jpa
09-09-2011, 16:23
Congrats to her and she'll be fine. Remember that as a rookie she's going to have plenty of help from your former coworkers and they're not going to throw her out there on her own until she's ready.

Good luck to her!

DaBigBR
09-09-2011, 17:32
When I read "first shift jitters" I assumed this was going to be about working during daylight, having to obey traffic laws, and dodging the brass.

msu_grad_121
09-09-2011, 17:45
When I read "first shift jitters" I assumed this was going to be about working during daylight, having to obey traffic laws, and dodging the brass.

Those aren't jitters, those are reasons for an impending panic attack!

While I know how it's going to sound, try to calm your mind, and trust in your former coworkers and your girlfriend to make sure she's safe. And pass along more congrats from another schmuck tryin to get a gig!

ClydeG19
09-09-2011, 18:29
Those aren't jitters, those are reasons for an impending panic attack!

While I know how it's going to sound, try to calm your mind, and trust in your former coworkers and your girlfriend to make sure she's safe. And pass along more congrats from another schmuck tryin to get a gig!

Moving out of MI would probably be a good start. Isn't that the hardest state to get a job, let alone a leo job?

Ajon412
09-09-2011, 18:39
WOW...A girlfriend that you can throw mags "back and forth" with when the SHTF off duty....I'm jealous...:rofl:...Pass along my Congrats.....:wavey: Now the fun part is to see who gets to sit facing the door in restaurants.......:whistling:

msu_grad_121
09-09-2011, 22:02
:wavey: Now the fun part is to see who gets to sit facing the door in restaurants.......:whistling:

Stealin my lines, brother? See how you are? :rofl:

msu_grad_121
09-09-2011, 22:04
Moving out of MI would probably be a good start. Isn't that the hardest state to get a job, let alone a leo job?

Yeah, you're right. I've been looking in surrounding states (Ohio, Indiana and Illinois), but I don't yet have a job that pays well enough to go any further than those.

Ajon412
09-09-2011, 22:05
Stealin my lines, brother? See how you are? :rofl:

Great minds think alike....:rofl:

NoGlamour229
09-10-2011, 01:09

Just a few reasons I avoid first shift at all cost.

Hoser423
09-10-2011, 07:45
If she's 42, and taught by decent FTOs, and takes your BTDT advice, she won't be chasing crackheads and hookers. She'll catch them off guard, or shmooze them into compliance. Worry a little, cause she's your girlfriend, but don't worry a lot.

MeefZah
09-10-2011, 08:00
WOW...A girlfriend that you can throw mags "back and forth" with when the SHTF off duty....I'm jealous...:rofl:...Pass along my Congrats.....:wavey: Now the fun part is to see who gets to sit facing the door in restaurants.......:whistling:

I dated and lived with a girl who was a copper in a neighboring town, about 9 years ago, for 2 years.

Based on that experience, I cannot recommend it to anyone! :wow:

Yeah, you're right. I've been looking in surrounding states (Ohio, Indiana and Illinois), but I don't yet have a job that pays well enough to go any further than those.

I can save you the hassle, Ohio ain't hiring. :whistling:

DaBigBR
09-10-2011, 09:38

Davenport, Iowa PD is accepting applications through 9/23 with testing on 10/08. Starting pay is $49k with top pay for an officer at $69k. Low cost of living, reasonable size area (Quad Cities area, border of Iowa and Illinois). Iowa accepts certifications from many other states.

collim1
09-10-2011, 17:27
Oh my gosh, I couldn't imagine. My wife is a stronger person than I. I am a turd magnet. Felons, chases, fights and felonies seem to find me at every turn.

I couldn't imagine sitting at home waiting for my wife knowing what is out there waiting for her.