Bench Update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bench Update

Beanie-Bean
09-09-2011, 22:00
New kid on the block:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/2be21510.jpg

I took back the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, and traded it for the LnL Classic Kit. Nice extras to be able to "drive a stick" in reloading land, and I've got the pistol rotor and metering device, along with a missing taper crimp queued up for next week's delivery.

Free bullets with the kit, and free bullets for the .40 S&W/10mm dies from Hornady. Right now, I'm leaning toward the .451 185 gr. XTP bullets, since I can load those in ACP and GAP. Sadly, their die set does not include a crimp die, so right now, SS is performing decapping duties with a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Got the little primer hole cleaning tool, too.

Bunch of tumbled and perhaps once-shot brass arrived in .45 GAP and .40 S&W this week, so I'll be developing some loads for those. The 10 Ring guys said that there were some Nosler 135 gr. .400 JHPs available, so I grabbed some of those, along with some Speer 125 gr. L-RN bullets (on clearance at Midway) to try through my LWD 40-9. I originally bought that barrel to test out the G33 with 9X19, to see if I really needed to pick up the G26, and I'm looking forward to shooting some of those.

My brother also sent over a box of Houston Bullet Co. 200 gr. LSWC in .45, so I'll load up a few to see if those will work in his guns.

What else…I picked up some Power Pistol (since that was specified in the GAP load data in my manuals) and some Vihtavuori N320. I'm looking at getting some Accurate No. 5, and No. 7 when I order the .357 SIG dies for the Dillon.

Finally, I got around to installing the IKEA LED lamp for my powder check at Station 2. Pretty nice for the price.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/c70e63c6.jpg

Weather finally cooled down here in Texas, but the fires have been causing lots of trouble. During Labor Day weekend, if you were caught using a barbecue grill, you were going to be arrested. I'll be heading out to the range some time this weekend to test out the lead bullet loads, and will report back on how they do through the LWD barrel.

Been watching waaaaay too many 10mm videos on YouTube, and I don't even have a 10mm firearm…yet. I'm thinking that it'll be the next one added to the lineup, just like the signature below says.

Have a great weekend, guys.

Boxerglocker
09-09-2011, 23:19
What are you gonna load on the LNL Classic Kit? For that cost I would have saved a little more and gotten a second 550 or even a LNL.

Colorado4Wheel
09-10-2011, 06:59
I've got the pistol rotor and metering device, along with a missing taper crimp queued up for next week's delivery.

Free bullets with the kit, and free bullets for the .40 S&W/10mm dies from Hornady. Right now, I'm leaning toward the .451 185 gr. XTP bullets, since I can load those in ACP and GAP. Sadly, their die set does not include a crimp die, so right now, SS is performing decapping duties with a Lee Universal Decapping Die. Got the little primer hole cleaning tool, too.

The seating die has a crimp die built into it. So you seat the bullet and crimp at the same time. Most people don't crimp as a separate step on a SS because it just adds another step and even more time.

Beanie-Bean
09-10-2011, 07:36
Steve,

I suppose that I should have mentioned that after I'm done figuring out the .40 dies and loads on the Hornady press, I was going to try install them on the 550. The shellplate from the 9X19 set is the bulk of the cost, so the locator buttons and powder funnel are are only things missing. Actually, another toolhead and powder die would be nice, too :) That same setup (with the 9mm powder funnel) will also work for the .357 SIG. Kind of holding off on those dies, because they're twice as expensive as the other Dillon dies.

I read in the die manual that you can set it up to crimp or not crimp. Personally, I'd rather crimp at Station 4 on the Dillon than seat/crimp at Station 3.

Beanie-Bean
09-10-2011, 07:43
What are you gonna load on the LNL Classic Kit? For that cost I would have saved a little more and gotten a second 550 or even a LNL.

I'll actually be trying quite a few loads of everything on the LnL, mainly because I'm still very new to this, and I'm comfortable loading out rounds "driving a stick" then transferring the winning recipe over to the 550. Also, I like the decapping die setup on the SS because it works with all calibers from my lineup.

Regarding another progressive, I've got my eyes on the XL650 w/casefeeder for next year after I redo the garage...:) Gotta say that this is more fun for me than getting yet another firearm. Well, maybe there are a few left that will keep me going for a little while, anyway:

.357 Magnum SP101
10mm G29
9mm Kimber Solo (that one is actually on order, but I don't expect it until 2012 sometime. The world will have ended by then anyway, right?)

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 08:55
You have a lot of irons in the fire and you are new to all of this if I remember correctly. Caution and keeping it simple are advised.

The Speer lead 9mm bullets are swaged from soft lead. Use the lightest load you can with a slower powder. Make very small batched of them because they will be finicky regarding leading.

Bello
09-10-2011, 11:07
i like your bench i have my own but i like that little kit setup

Tpro
09-11-2011, 02:38
This does not make sense. Didn't you buy a Rock Chucker? You could have kept that. Dam I'm cornfused as to what the ultimate goal is, and WTH "driving a stick" is. Whatever you do on the LnL, you could do on the 550.

Beanie-Bean
09-11-2011, 07:15
This does not make sense. Didn't you buy a Rock Chucker?

Yup, I took it back and traded for the LnL kit, because the RC was the press only--the LnL kit has all the things I need if I'd like to do a load manually. I can leave the 550 setup how it is, and not have to change out powder, dies, primer section...

Dam I'm cornfused as to what the ultimate goal is, and WTH "driving a stick" is.

Ultimately, the goal is to create my own custom loads on my own brass with my own powder, primers, and bullets. Kind of getting sick really quickly paying $$$ for factory ammo, especially with all the non-standard calibers I have.

Regarding the "driving a stick" comment, I really think that the Dillon press automates a lot of the functions that I'd otherwise miss out on with a single-stage press. I'm still learning about this craft, and the more that I can learn and experience first-hand, the better off I'll be later on down the line. What's confusing about that?

Whatever you do on the LnL, you could do on the 550.

Yes, and I could also do that with a Lee hand press, or a Dillon XL650, or a Hornady LnL AP, or a Redding T-7 turret, an RCBS Rock Chucker...

I check out the THR forums, and also learned a bit from Gavin over at ultimatereloader.com, and he's got quite a few different presses at his disposal. I suppose that I do like features of some presses over others, but am unwilling to settle in on any one type or brand.

Much like the different pistols I own, and other firearms I'll own at some point in time, I can shoot things with one and accomplish the same thing with another. Why do I have more than one firearm?

For decapping my different brass. I find it much easier to change out a shell holder than to swap out and adjust a shellplate assembly on the 550. Just like swapping dies on the 550--I could just remove the dies and just make use of a single toolhead.

Perhaps I should be more explicit about what I'm posting up here. Apologies for the confusion.

ursoboostd
09-11-2011, 07:19
Whatever you do on the LnL, you could do on the 550.

Disagree. It's always nice to have a single stage around.