Any Seattle Cops Here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Seattle Cops Here?

FireCaptDave
09-09-2011, 22:42
When I visit Seattle I see uniformed cops directing traffic around construction sites and other areas of the city (as opposed to non-sworn traffic people.) Are these or light duty officers, retired, etc?

Most seem a bit older so not sure if it's a gig you do when you've had your fill of patrol.

Thanks and stay safe.

CanIhaveGasCash
09-10-2011, 00:23
I can't speak for Seattle, but it's probably an OT gig. If they have pensions based on the last 3 years of pay then the old timers take all the OT to inflate their earnings over the last 3 years.

ateamer
09-10-2011, 03:44
I don't know about other states, but in California, OT does not count toward retirement. Differential pay for night shift, detective, FTO and so forth does, but not OT.

Morris
09-10-2011, 07:30
OT gigs. Some cities (like Bellevue, across the lake) have it codified into city law that any projects going into the street have to have a blue canary standing there for traffic control and anything else.

Vigilant
09-10-2011, 10:39
Blue canary. I can use that. :supergrin:

Morris
09-10-2011, 12:44
My hose-heads do! :)

Vigilant
09-10-2011, 16:34
My hose-heads do! :)

Hmmm.... hose head....... I should come here more often.... :rofl:

JBaird22
09-17-2011, 22:22
Ahh blue canary. I used that in this part of the world and they had no clue what I was talking about. Certainly a regional thing.

Narc1911
09-17-2011, 23:58
When I visit Seattle I see uniformed cops directing traffic around construction sites and other areas of the city (as opposed to non-sworn traffic people.) Are these or light duty officers, retired, etc?

Most seem a bit older so not sure if it's a gig you do when you've had your fill of patrol.

Thanks and stay safe.

They are usually OT gigs. You see a lot of older guys doing those details because Washington's Police retirement (LEOFF 2) is a percentage based on your final average salary for you last five years of service. IIRC SPD's OT gigs are signed up based on seniority too.

Hack
09-18-2011, 04:25
They are usually OT gigs. You see a lot of older guys doing those details because Washington's Police retirement (LEOFF 2) is a percentage based on your final average salary for you last five years of service. IIRC SPD's OT gigs are signed up based on seniority too.

Sweet. Kind of like where I work at at the OT jobs. But, OT doesn't figure in for anything concerning pension. But, a person can invest the overage into a IRA or something.