Knife Sharpener [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife Sharpener

Lone Kimono
09-10-2011, 00:52
I've been looking for a knife sharpener for a while and found this DMT knife sharpener on Amazon. It has good reviews, but that doesn't always mean high quality. What do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-FWFC-Double-Diafold-Sharpener/dp/B00004WFTW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1P76O5SD46A5Z&colid=1IOD4TLQZB7HO

kimo
09-10-2011, 05:59
I use a Norton combo stone, 2000 and 4000 grit. I get em sharp enough to shave with. I get the big stones and they last a long time.

magpie maniac
09-10-2011, 06:55
I've been looking for a knife sharpener for a while and found this DMT knife sharpener on Amazon. It has good reviews, but that doesn't always mean high quality. What do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-FWFC-Double-Diafold-Sharpener/dp/B00004WFTW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1P76O5SD46A5Z&colid=1IOD4TLQZB7HO

The DMT Diafold double-sided sharpener is great, but if you're using it for higher quality pocket knives, I'd get the green/red instead of the red/blue. I'd only use the blue side on cheaper knives that have been allowed to dull significantly. You're going to need the green to keep your best knives in top shape.

It's up to you of course. I use the DMT green/red on my Benchmade knives, but I don't allow my knives to get to the point of needing the blue side. Excellent product.

Dexters
09-10-2011, 07:28
Spyderco Sharpmaker works fore me - easy to use and good options.

quake
09-10-2011, 20:47
I'm a big fan of eze-lap hones; never used that particular dmt. Small eze-lap does a surprising amount of work on even big knives.

itstime
09-10-2011, 21:05
I recommend a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use.

Bolster
09-10-2011, 21:08
Disclaimer, I'm very opinionated about sharpeners. Please forgive in advance. I've had lots of experience and have lots of knives, so here come my big fat opinions:

Currently, I own a Spyderco Sharpmaker, two Lansky sharpeners, and an EdgePro Apex. (As well as a belt grinder, a wet grinder, and various other crock style sharpeners, and probably 18 various water and oil stones, specialty chisel sharpeners, etc., but leave those alone for now).

(1) Unless you have TONS of whetstone-based sharpening experience, and maybe not even then, you can't beat a jig for accuracy. You can get the edge just as sharp, but the edge very likely won't last as long. Spyderco knives come from the factory with a very high quality by-hand sharpen (using a belt grinder I think) and my edges are much more precise than theirs...I'm often correcting factory variances and wobbles with my jigs.

Now if you WANT to put an appleseed edge on your knife, then freehanding is fine. But if you want the knife to look factory fresh while being popping sharp, and you want the strongest possible edge for a certain degree of angle, then use a jig.

(2) The Apex is great for large knives; the Sharpmaker is great for touchups. The Lansky will do it all (although less well on considerably larger knives).

Sharpmaker: Don't try to use a Sharpmaker to modify the bevel of the knife, you will be an old, old man by the time you're done. Use the Sharpmaker for what it's good at: keeping already sharp knives, sharp.

If you use Bowie knives, or other large knives, the EdgePro is great. However if you are sharpening pocket knives, the EdgePro is tricky to use, and easy to damage a blade with an inadvertent slip. The EdgePro wants enough blade size so it can't rock back and forth on the shelf. The smaller the blade, the less stable it is.

The Lansky, or any of the Lansky clones, are time-consuming to set up, but the allow very precise resharpenings. Once you have cut your back bevel (I cut mine at 12-13 degrees per side...that's steep, but I invest in quality steel, much of it powder metallurgy) then actual edges and touchups are a breeze forever more.

I actually use all 3...large knives get the EdgePro for backbevel then Sharpmaker for the actual edge. Small knives get Lansky for the backbevel and then the Sharpmaker for the actual edge (15 degrees per side). You could use the Lansky to put on the final edge, too, I just find it faster with the Sharpmaker.

When I sharpen a knife, I have to spend some time with it ONCE, cutting the back bevel. Ever after that it's just touchups which are quick and easy. Literally 15 seconds and we're back to shaving hair.

As I said, my OPINIONS, what works FOR ME. Probably offensive to all the freehanders out there. Not intended, I used to be one of you. Then I saw the light. Do as you see fit.

kimo
09-11-2011, 05:20
I use a DMT edge guide with my stone. Just clamp the knife and slide the DMT base on the table and the knife is always at the proper angle. I easily make any knife slice through a whole sheet of paper longways with not effort.

nelamvr6
09-11-2011, 05:28
Hey guys! First post!

I've been using a Wicked Edge system for a bit now, and I love it!

There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's fairly shallow.

And the results are amazing!

FireForged
09-11-2011, 17:19
I never met anyone that would bad talk a warthog sharpener. I have had mine for a very long time and its still does great! Ordered new rods after about 5 years of constant use.

Bolster
09-11-2011, 18:44
I've been using a Wicked Edge system for a bit now, and I love it!

That's an impressive system. Pricey, but I'd be proud to own one!! What I like about it most, is it would make it easy to chase that wire edge off.

Hmm, with a spare set of stones, and the Lansky set so it's pointing upright, you could do the same with a Lansky.

I never met anyone that would bad talk a warthog sharpener.

OK, I'll be the first. The one I'm looking at has non interchangeable 325 grit stones. That's a big problem.

XDfense
09-12-2011, 06:23
I use a Norton combo stone, 2000 and 4000 grit. I get em sharp enough to shave with. I get the big stones and they last a long time.

Norton stones are of the highest quality that I've seen. I've got a bunch and some were my Grandfather's. They've been in business for a long time.

I've got the DMT sharpener that was in the OP. I've seen better and certainly wouldn't use it on my nicer knives.

kimo
09-12-2011, 15:35
I originally got the Norton stones to sharpen my straight razors...Yep, that sharp. If I'm really careful, I can get them so sharp that merely dropping a hair on them slices the hair.

Big Bird
09-14-2011, 19:37
Best sharpening system is japanese waterstones followed by stropping on felt or leather impregnated with diamond spray. I own an edgepro and use it for my higher angle 22-25 degree bevel knives but it can't compete with the waterstones once you figure out how to use them. All knives need to be occasionally thinned as you take the edge back and nothing gets that done better than a coarse whetstone.