In Memoriam... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam...

RussP
09-10-2011, 10:47
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218929&stc=1&d=1315673210

Patchman
09-10-2011, 11:01
And sadly, that's only the LEOs who died. Lets not forget the 343 Firefighters and the thousands of civilian victims who also perished on that day. And all the rescuers who have died or have gotten sick since from cancers, sicknesses, suicides, drug and alcohol abuses due to their experiences there.

The most common conditions associated with 9/11-exposure have been respiratory and mental illnesses. According to the researchers, WTC-exposed individuals also have a risk of suffering a premature death due to newly diagnosed and existing respiratory diseases, as well as complications of mental disorders, including substance abuse and other risk taking behaviors.

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been linked to pollutant exposure and psychological stress in other settings. For this reason increased CVD mortality rates might have resulted from 9/11-related exposures.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/233791.php

And lets not forget all the families who lost loved ones.

MeefZah
09-10-2011, 11:12
RIP brothers and sisters.

RussP
09-10-2011, 12:48
And sadly, that's only the LEOs who died. Lets not forget the 343 Firefighters and the thousands of civilian victims who also perished on that day. And all the rescuers who have died or have gotten sick since from cancers, sicknesses, suicides, drug and alcohol abuses due to their experiences there.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/233791.php

And lets not forget all the families who lost loved ones.The 343 are remembered by the Thin Red Line. The first patch is FDNY...

Patchman
09-10-2011, 14:08
10-4 Russ. I see the FDNY patch. I still can't grasp how any agency can loose 343 members in one incident.

I read this online:

MTA bus driver Barbara Byrd was driving her route in Brooklyn when the transit command center broadcast an alarming message: A plane had struck the World Trade Center; stay clear of the area.

Initially, Byrd had no intention of heading toward the twin towers and the billowing smoke. But everything changed as she neared the Rescue 2 firehouse on BergenSt. in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

"A fireman came running out, waving down my bus," Byrd recalled in her first-ever interview about 9/11.

"He said, 'We're in a state of emergency, and we're going to have to commandeer your bus and take it to the World Trade Center.'"

Ten firefighters loaded her B15 bus with equipment. Then she and the crew raced to lower Manhattan, navigating horrendous traffic jams.

"They were really excited. They were really pumped. Their adrenaline was high," Byrd said. "They were saying things like, 'Let's go. This is what we were trained to do, and we're all going to come out of this.'

"I was amazed. The bravery, the camaraderie and the love they showed for each other was amazing."

In about 10 minutes, Byrd brought the firemen, accompanied by a chief in a separate FDNY vehicle, to Park Row near City Hall. The chief told her to stay with the bus, and they'd be back.

"People were screaming. Dust was everywhere. Debris was everywhere. It was like one of those Bruce Willis movies. I thought I was in a movie.

"The firemen jumped into gear. It was, 'Let's go. You know what you have to do. Be safe out there.'"

Byrd stayed in the bus for what seemed like an eternity. One of the firefighters came back to give her some gauze to cover her face. He said the air might be toxic, she recalled.

A search for a bathroom led Byrd to an abandoned Starbucks where she and a police officer dispensed coffee and food to first responders.

It was about 3 a.m. the next day when the fire chief returned with five of his men. Take them to Brooklyn, he said.

"I took 10 there and five back," she said. "The other five died."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/09/10/2011-09-10_she_drove_10_heroes_to_wtc__5_lived.html#ixzz1Xa8Q67Fl

RussP
09-10-2011, 14:39
I am going to a local memorial service where a piece of the Towers will be dedicated. There will be retired NYPD and FDNY in attendance. They are my neighbors. They lost countless friends that day. It's going to be emotional.

MakeMineA10mm
09-10-2011, 15:04
Very nice and appropriate post and point, but another thing that strikes me about these men and women of the LEO and FF communities:

Estimates of the number of people in the Twin Towers when attacked on September 11, 2001 range between 14,000 and 19,000. NIST estimated that approximately 17,400 civilians were in the World Trade Center complex at the time of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Turnstile counts from the Port Authority indicate that the number of people typically in the Twin Towers by 8:45 a.m. was 14,154.

Of those who worked below the impact zones, 110 were among those killed in the attacks. The 9/11 Commission notes that this fact strongly indicates that evacuation below the impact zones was a success, allowing most to safely evacuate before the collapse of the World Trade Center.

So, of the 2606 deaths at WTC attack (minus those on the hi-jacked planes), 430 were LEOs, FFs, and Paramedics, leaving the civilian death toll at: 2176.

Only 110 civilians died who were from below the impact zones. I'd say those 430 rescue workers, whether firefighters, law enforcement, or emergency medical personnel not only gave it their all, but they did a damn fine job of their work that day as well. There are probably 12,000 to 15,000 people, maybe more, who are alive today because of the sacrifice of these rescuers.

That's 28 to 35 people saved for every rescuer lost. I hate to look at things such as this with something so cold as numbers, but it's a good illustration of the dedication, heroism, professionalism, and bravery of those rescuers in an unprecedented situation.

God bless them, and their families.
:patriot:
:fallenofficer:

Hack
09-10-2011, 15:39
May all who have died in this rest in peace. May all who are presently suffering from this know His peace.

May all be honoured for their sacrifice.

CJStudent
09-10-2011, 19:50

Detectorist
09-10-2011, 20:09
R.I.P. LEO and FF. You will not be forgotten. Ever.

redbaron007
09-10-2011, 21:09
RIP!!!

trdvet
09-10-2011, 23:44

efman
09-11-2011, 00:27

Fireplug
09-11-2011, 01:27
:cop: True Heroes! :ffighter:

R.I.P. :fallenofficer:

4949shooter
09-11-2011, 05:12
RIP. :sadangel:

Thank You for posting this Russ.

Horror
09-11-2011, 05:57

JC2317
09-11-2011, 11:02
Russ,
From someone who was there that day, and walked amid the dust that was those buildings, and those souls, Thank You.

We owe it to everyone who died that day to NEVER FORGET.

RussP
09-11-2011, 11:32
Russ,
From someone who was there that day, and walked amid the dust that was those buildings, and those souls, Thank You.

We owe it to everyone who died that day to NEVER FORGET.Through my tears, I say, "Thank You!"

RussP
09-11-2011, 11:38
RIP. :sadangel:

Thank You for posting this Russ.You're welcome. Jersey shares in the grief on this day.

CAcop
09-11-2011, 11:46

Panzergrenadier1979
09-11-2011, 12:51

I will never forget the thought that struck me the most that day as I watched the towers burn on the television from my home in Virginia, a few miles from Dulles Airport: As the people ran OUT of the towers in fear for their lives, firefighters and cops ran INTO the towers to save the lives of others.

I am haunted by the notion that these guys ran into the mouth of Hell itself....

I have often felt fear while driving to a dangerous call. I have thought to myself that I would rather go anywhere but THERE. I am then reminded of the first responders who selflessly ran into the towers and all fear leaves my body.

God Bless you all. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten and your story will be passed on to my children who pass it on to theirs.