cast bullets for .30 Carbine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : cast bullets for .30 Carbine

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 18:24
I've started casting bullets for .30 carbine, using a Lee C309-120-R. It yields bullets that weigh 118 gr and measure .312, which seems a little big to me. I've sized about 60 of them to .308 and will start with those.

I can only find load data for 100 and 110 grain bullets, and nothing for 120 gr cast bullets. I'd like to use Red Dot, Unique, or H110, and would like to achieve velocities low enough to avoid using a gas check. Any suggestions?

I also have a question about sizing. These bullets were VERY difficult to push through the sizing die, some nearly lifing my fee off the floor. I started using a small brush after every 4 or 5 to clean out the die, and that seemed to help. Should it be that hard?

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 18:28
I tried a handful of 0.312" in my 30-06. If they chamber as cast in your gun, there is no need to size them. Likely, 0.308 is too small. I would make up a couple with the unsized bullets and see if they fit your gun as is.

What sizer are you using?

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 18:41
Lee. I may load some unsized and see how they shoot. When I ordered the mold, a couple of the user reviews I read said they loaded them unsized, but if I remember correctly, theirs came out at .309 -.310, and mine are .311-.312.

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 18:43
Lee. I may load some unsized and see how they shoot. When I ordered the mold, a couple of the user reviews I read said they loaded them unsized, but if I remember correctly, theirs came out at .309 -.310, and mine are .311-.312.

I use Lee sizers too. The bullets have to be lubed, preferably with liquid alox or you'll have a tuff time sizing them.

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 18:58
I use Lee sizers too. The bullets have to be lubed, preferably with liquid alox or you'll have a tuff time sizing them.

I've considered that, but haven't tried it yet. I read somewhere else NOT to lube before sizing, because it would build up in the die and cause problems. :dunno:

I learn something new every day.

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 19:01
Liquid alox will definately not cause problems with the sizer. It's the recommended way by the OEM. It also makes a dandy bullet lube, which you need anyway. Cast, lube, size, lube.

How were you planning on lubing the bullets for shooting purposes?

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 19:07
Liquid alox will definately not cause problems with the sizer. It's the recommended way by the OEM. It also makes a dandy bullet lube, which you need anyway. Cast, lube, size, lube.

How were you planning on lubing the bullets for shooting purposes?

Casting for my '03 Springfield is all I've done so far. I used ALOX in a ziploc and spread on wax paper to dry.

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 19:19
Casting for my '03 Springfield is all I've done so far. I used ALOX in a ziploc and spread on wax paper to dry.

That'll work. I have some bullets that i can run through my Lee sizers dry, but most have to be lubed first. I do them dry when I can just to save a step, not because it is somehow better.

Also, if you lube to size them, you should still lube them after sizing. I've heard that you can skip that step, but I haven't gotten good results that way.

ETA: fix typo of "That's" to "That'll"

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 19:24
That'll work. I have some bullets that i can run through my Lee sizers dry, but most have to be lubed first. I do them dry when I can just to save a step, not because it is somehow better.

Also, if you lube to size them, you should still lube them after sizing. I've heard that you can skip that step, but I haven't gotten good results that way.

ETA: fix typo of "That's" to "That'll"

Where do you find your load data for cast bullets? I can't find anything for 120gr cast bullets for 30 carbine. Nothing in the speer manual I have, Hodgdons website only shows 100 and 110 jacketed, Alliant shows nothing for .30 carbine. Any suggestions?

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 19:30
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has data for a plain base 130 grain bullet that you could use. My older Lyman manual also has data for GC 120 and 123 grain bullets.

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 19:48
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has data for a plain base 130 grain bullet that you could use. My older Lyman manual also has data for GC 120 and 123 grain bullets.

I was hoping to find some data online. Looks like I'll be ordering that book.

WiskyT
09-10-2011, 19:52
I was hoping to find some data online. Looks like I'll be ordering that book.

I don't mind sharing the data with you, but it would be subject to possible typos. The book is good to have anyway. I can scan the pages for you, but not tonight.

DustyJacket
09-10-2011, 19:56
Don't shoot lead rounds through a .30 carbine, or any other gun with a gas system.

I fired a few, like a dummy, and got lead buildup in the tiny chamber and locked up the piston.

Had to take the nut out, the piston out, and scrape lead out.

The poor rifle was never the same again.

oneofthose
09-10-2011, 20:08
Don't shoot lead rounds through a .30 carbine, or any other gun with a gas system.

I fired a few, like a dummy, and got lead buildup in the tiny chamber and locked up the piston.

Had to take the nut out, the piston out, and scrape lead out.

The poor rifle was never the same again.

That's the first I've heard of that happening. Not to doubt you, but I wonder if what you experienced was related to some other variable. My understanding is that cast bullets in a .30 carbine is relatively common. Anyone else heard of this?

norton
09-10-2011, 21:29
I agree with WiskyT, the Liquid Alox (mule snot) is a good lube. I use Lee molds and sizing dies too. I have tried different lube formulas for my .45 Colt and so far the straight mule snot is the best most consistent product.