9-11-01... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9-11-01...

kcb
09-10-2011, 20:14
Do YOU remember where you were and what you were doing that fateful morning?

Share your thoughts and memories.

God Bless those that gave their lives that day!

:angel:

kcb
09-10-2011, 20:16
I know, this is the OAF. But I think this particular situation calls for a serious thread at this point and time!

MadMonkey
09-10-2011, 20:16
I was asleep and 17 years old. My dad woke me up and said to come watch the news... I walked into the living room just in time to see the second plane hit (I initially thought it was a replay of the first). The gravity of the situation hit me then.

Today I suddenly realized that what I'm doing now can, in fact, be attributed directly to the events of that day. I guess it affected me more than I thought.

Dinky
09-10-2011, 20:17
Yes and no need to talk about it...

kcb
09-10-2011, 20:19
I was asleep and 17 years old. My dad woke me up and said to come watch the news... I walked into the living room just in time to see the second plane hit (I initially thought it was a replay of the first). The gravity of the situation hit me then.

Today I suddenly realized that what I'm doing now can, in fact, be attributed directly to the events of that day. I guess it affected me more than I thought.

Thank you for sharing.

I was teaching first grade. I think we all sensed that life as we knew it was about to change forever, but I don't think we fully understood the full impact right away.

smith10
09-10-2011, 20:19
No cars on the road and f16s in the sky.

kcb
09-10-2011, 20:20
Yes and no need to talk about it...

That's cool, Dinky! I just find that a LOT of people want to talk about that morning...

tous
09-10-2011, 20:40
I had taken a break from my keyboard and was relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching FOX News when it began. I didn't get out of that chair for six hours, I think.

trcubed
09-11-2011, 12:13
I was inventorying the rock in a limestone sales yard in Theodore, AL. The yard loader operator drove up to say a plane had crashed into one of the towers, then came back a few minutes later to say another had crashed and that both towers were down. It was several hours before I could get to a tv to see what had happened.

Beautiful, clear-sky day. What I remember most was how the jet trails seemed to just melt away...

I was about 900 miles from home and couldn't get back fast enough.

OSSI
09-11-2011, 15:43
I was waking up in the morning, switched the Tele on.
Then I saw that plane hitting the Tower and I said to Madame O: look they presenting a new movie

Took a few moment until we realized it's real :upeyes:

HiddenEyes
09-12-2011, 00:44
Got a call..."We need you to come in..."

Got in the truck and turned on the news.

Got out of the truck and grabbed my bag and the AR-15.

Got back into the truck and headed in.

When I got there they said "Your job is to keep everyone safe." I said "Then everyone goes home till this is over because if you think I can absorb an airplane I'm flattered and you're stupid."

Streets were really empty. Everyone looked dazed. At Starbucks some guy made a really stupid comment as the TV showed people jumping from the towers. I wanted to knock him to the middle of the street, which was a wide sidewalk, parking lot and two lanes away. Instead I just let it go.

Over the next few days I watched as really dumb decision after really dumb decision was made by elected officials. Everyone was running scared, I felt like we were losing a war after one battle. They were ready to throw up three foot thick concrete walls around every public building. They wanted metal detectors and armed guards everywhere. In the end common sense prevailed and we, as a nation, bounced back some. Leadership from President Bush was very good, it helped the local elected officials in my area get their heads back on and sort of pointed forward.

Mr. HE:cool:

SouthernGal
09-12-2011, 11:01
I was unemployed and at home in bed when the phone rang. It was my (now) ex-H telling me to turn on the news, that he'd heard a plane had hit the WTC. I turned it on, and said, "what kind of plane was that?" Of course, nobody knew at that time. All I could see was that there was a LOT of smoke and flames from what "might have been" a small plane.

Then the second plane entered the picture and hit the other building. I was on the phone and said "that's a **** jumbo jet...that's no small plane!" Jet fuel went through the building and exploded on the other side sending flames everywhere.

I asked my ex, "Won't those buildings collapse from all this?" He LAUGHED AT ME at the notion. Guess he was among those that never let that thought cross his mind.

Now we all know what we know.

kcb
09-12-2011, 16:52
Thanks for sharing....and keep on sharing!

I think it is interesting to hear what people were doing and what their reactions were to the events that day.

The only other day I can compare to it, and I was quite young when it happened, was the day President Kennedy was assasinated. I'm sure that most members of the OAF weren't even born yet.

It's like I was talking to my 4th graders about writing about 9-11-1, and realizing they hadn't been born yet when it all happened. But they all know about the day. They just obviously have no memories.

My students I had on that day were in 1st grade. They are now in 11th grade. I'd love to see how they remember that day, now! I did my best to protect them, and let their parents be the ones to explain it to them.

OSSI
09-12-2011, 17:25
I know exactly where I was when Kennedy was shot

kcb
09-12-2011, 17:53

Please tell me you were alive and old enough to remember? :scared:

OSSI
09-12-2011, 17:56
Please tell me you were alive and old enough to remember? :scared:

Yes and yes :supergrin:

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:05
Yes and yes :supergrin:

:phew:

:supergrin:

Dinky
09-12-2011, 18:09

Grassy knol?

OSSI
09-12-2011, 18:10
Grassy knol?

What's that???

Historian
09-12-2011, 18:14
What's that???

Many people think our President Kennedy was shot from a grassy area to his right front instead of the book repository.

Having been there I can say a good marksman could have made that shot with a pistol.

----

Anyway... I was on patrol and dispatch cleared all traffic to warn us something big was going on.

OSSI
09-12-2011, 18:20
Thanks Mate :supergrin:

No, I was in Switzerland, time there was 7:30 pm and we just finished Dinner and my Father just told us the news :upeyes:

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:21
Many people think our President Kennedy was shot from a grassy area to his right front instead of the book repository.

Having been there I can say a good marksman could have made that shot with a pistol.

----

Anyway... I was on patrol and dispatch cleared all traffic to warn us something big was going on.

WOW!!! :wow:

You were THERE, AND on PATROL?????

Just Wow!

WOW!!!! :faint:

Dinky
09-12-2011, 18:22
I had cute school that day and was at home...

Historian
09-12-2011, 18:23
Thanks Mate :supergrin:

Someone just gave me a bottle of Calvados...reminds me of our many conversations.

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:24

What is a "cute school"?

trcubed
09-12-2011, 18:28

I was 2 1/2 yo, at home, but Momma never sent me to cute school.

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:32
I was 2 1/2 yo, at home, but Momma never sent me to cute school.

I was in second grade, but it was definitely NOT a cute school! :supergrin:

I loved my teacher, though. She came into the room crying. School was dismissed for the day. We walked home. Of course, in those times, our mom's were at home being housewives and mothers.

Historian
09-12-2011, 18:37
Ever since when asked for my birthday...i get odd looks...I almost didn't post this. It seems odd to mention it.

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:40
Ever since when asked for my birthday...i get odd looks...I almost didn't post this. It seems odd to mention it.

I think it should be something you'd be proud to speak about!

I'd LOVE to hear more about that day in history from you!

I just assummed you were younger than I because you have a young child.

My bad. I'd love to hear more about your experience! Seriously!

:thumbsup: I apologize if I said it a manner which offended you. That's not how I meant it! I was impressed!

Historian
09-12-2011, 18:43
I think it should be something you'd be proud to speak about!

I'd LOVE to hear more about that day in history from you!

I just assummed you were younger than I because you have a young child.

My bad. I'd love to hear more about your experience! Seriously!

:thumbsup: I apologize if I said it a manner which offended you. That's not how I meant it! I was impressed!

:supergrin: I wasn't born on the day Kennedy was shot. My father did however, march in his funeral (US Navy).

Dad said they thought the Russian's did it. They thought it was all out war...but they never got orders to go for broke...

My birthday is 9-11...

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:48

----

:supergrin: I wasn't born on the day Kennedy was shot. My father did however, march in his funeral (US Navy).

Dad said they thought the Russian's did it. They thought it was all out war...but they never got orders to go for broke...

My birthday is 9-11...

:headscratch:

I thought you indicated in your first post quoted above, that YOU were on patrol the day Kennedy was shot?

Am I confused?

Historian
09-12-2011, 18:51
:headscratch:

I thought you indicated in your first post quoted above, that YOU were on patrol the day Kennedy was shot?

Am I confused?

Yes, but the confusion was on my part. I was on patrol...and 29 years old...in a rural county just down the road from you. I should have been more clear.

It's my fault. I combined two thoughts in one post. I was pointing out to Ossi what the grassy knol was. It's changed since that day in 1963.

Glock!9
09-12-2011, 18:54
I woke up and turned the TV on to see the second tower hit live...I then realized my interview in the Trade center for the 12th would be canceled.

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:58
Yes, but the confusion was on my part. I was on patrol...and 29 years old...in a rural county just down the road from you. I should have been more clear.

It's my fault. I combined two thoughts in one post. I was pointing out to Ossi what the grassy knol was. It's changed since that day in 1963.

Oh, I understand. You were in Florida?

I actually was closer, yet a little girl at the time. I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico at that time. AND if my memory serves me well, (I'm not positive I'll have to verify with my older sister), I believe he had been in Albuquerque a few days or a little while before his fateful day in November. Our parents took us to see him in downtown Albuquerque. I believe to the best of my memory, he is the only US President I've ever seen.

We moved to Florida three years later when I completed the 4th grade.

kcb
09-12-2011, 18:59
I woke up and turned the TV on to see the second tower hit live...I then realized my interview in the Trade center for the 12th would be canceled.

Wow! Did the person who was to interview you survive?

OSSI
09-12-2011, 19:24
Someone just gave me a bottle of Calvados...reminds me of our many conversations.

:)

I enjoyed them very much
Maybe we should have em again :)

Historian
09-12-2011, 19:29
Oh, I understand. You were in Florida?

Oh yeah. I've been in Florida for almost 21 years. :supergrin:

I enjoyed them very much
Maybe we should have em again :)

Indeed sir. We should. I should post pictures of my dinners.

OSSI
09-12-2011, 19:39
Oh yeah. I've been in Florida for almost 21 years. :supergrin:

Indeed sir. We should. I should post pictures of my dinners.

And I should post more again as well.
My new kitchen is fantastic :)

Historian
09-12-2011, 21:22
And I should post more again as well.
My new kitchen is fantastic :)

Oh....my When you say that...it must to die for.

OSSI
09-12-2011, 21:49
Oh....my When you say that...it must to die for.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc76/TASSIOSSI/42%20Grandview/20100824092025.jpg

Glock!9
09-13-2011, 09:40
Wow! Did the person who was to interview you survive?

Ya know, i have no idea...it was all such a blur. I cant even remember what company it was for...I had been laid off the week before when my company closed its doors.