Magpul Classes/Videos? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Classes/Videos?

Knute
09-10-2011, 21:55
Just looking at Magpul Dynamics and their training. Anyone here ever gone to some of their training or watched any of their training videos? Wondering if the videos are worth the money.

lawman800
09-11-2011, 00:34
Not worth the money. I've watched the 2 carbine videos and one handgun video. The highlight was the girl in the short shorts shooting prone and the camera man filming her from the back.

DaBigBR
09-11-2011, 03:24
I bought the shotgun DVD, and although I considered myself fairly competent beforehand, learned some new things and re-learned some old ones.

boomhower
09-11-2011, 09:49
I thought there videos(carbine and handgun) were pretty good. We get zero firearms training so I did pick up quite a lot from them.

rdrkt
09-11-2011, 10:31
I bought the handgun DVD. Its hard not to get excited when watching the preview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

They go over a lot of mechanics that weren't really covered in our academy and I tried my best to incorporate that into my practice at home. It doesnt have a lot of rewatchability though so I loan it to coworkers so they can get something out of it too.

bccop
09-11-2011, 11:37
I've watched all the videos and found them very useful (carbine, shotgun, handgun).

I wouldn't mind taking a training course but they don't allow Canadians on their courses apparently because of ITAR :rant:

Steve in PA
09-11-2011, 12:05
I have several of their videos, well worth the money. Good videos to watch to see how and why some things are done. Nothing new or ground breaking, but what is in firearms training/instruction? Everything has been covered, but its always good to see how other instructors are teaching or what they are covering.

mixflip
09-11-2011, 12:23
I own the handgun, shotgun and carbine videos. As mentioned above... our dept (like many) is operating in a serious budget crisis so the chances of getting sent to a tactical training course on the dept budget or getting any tactical training above whats required for minimum qualifications to do the job is slim to none right now.

We are on our own so we either pay to go to a class or buy training DVD's to get what we can out if it.

Are they worth it? I'd say yes. Would I preffer real face to face instruction? Absolutely but hey... its a recession/depression out there. Take it how you can get it.

lawman800
09-11-2011, 12:42
Guess we are lucky. The only obstacle to AOT classes at the academy, including tactical entries, night shoots, etc., is getting the time off and getting a spot before the classes fill up.

rdrkt
09-11-2011, 15:53
Guess we are lucky. The only obstacle to AOT classes at the academy, including tactical entries, night shoots, etc., is getting the time off and getting a spot before the classes fill up.
You are definitely. All the negative things you can say about the LAPD they do take training VERY serious. My dept qualifies yearly and if we are lucky my unit does its own shoot once a year along with entry training.

Cochese
09-12-2011, 01:38
Go here. Prices are killer.

Thank me later.

http://www.molonlabetac.com/

DaBigBR
09-12-2011, 09:49
You are definitely. All the negative things you can say about the LAPD they do take training VERY serious. My dept qualifies yearly and if we are lucky my unit does its own shoot once a year along with entry training.

He doesn't work for LAPD.

lawman800
09-12-2011, 10:22
He doesn't work for LAPD.

Never have. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn in the city once.:whistling:

I love LAPD training and insisted on being sent there for one class that was offered through our academy because of some department specific content which I thought was better than what was offered locally.

Knute
09-12-2011, 20:34
I'm just looking for some more tools for the toolbox. Based on what I've seen from their videos on You Tube, I'm guessing my agency's training is pretty consistent to what they do. However, the moment you stop learning is the moment your career ends...or you wind up in management!

lawman800
09-12-2011, 20:46
Management ain't so bad... I only had to remove part of my cerebellum to qualify!

Newcop761
09-12-2011, 21:33
At what rank do they take the spine and balls?

lawman800
09-12-2011, 21:53
Anything above street level supervisor. As soon as you spend more time in the office than the streets, you are done.